• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Where do you consistently read (or listen to) news sources that you generally disagree with? I am looking to add some additional sources to my reading list, and I have found it incredibly useful to seek out contrary opinions.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    You didn’t state what your political and social beliefs are. I am very conservative but listen to satellite radio which has two very left channels plus CNN and MSNBC. Channel 116 is VERY left - refer to themselves as “progressive.” Channel 117 is only slightly less radical.

Perhaps if you identify your current position(s) you’ll get a clearer response.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sources. Good way to describe what used to be reliable news outlets.

Not seeing much I trust out there to be fair and honest. Agenda mills for the most part.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Al Jazeera.
    I used to read it a bit. They don't give a damn about agendas, they'll post whatever.
    I just checked to make sure I spelled it correctly. It turns ot they have an app now.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I watch BBC America every day because it shows international stories that our news channels don't seem to think we need to know. But when you watch it, you have to pay attention for the bias. They have been peddling the Myanmar crisis for quite awhile with the subtext that the West must do something about it in every story.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Where do you consistently read (or listen to) news sources that you generally disagree with? I am looking to add some additional sources to my reading list, and I have found it incredibly useful to seek out contrary opinions.
    I used to do that. But now it’s hard to find dissenting opinions that aren’t crazy. By crazy I mean absurdly partisan. So now I get news stories mostly from social media. Then I try to piece together what really happened from as many sources as seems credible.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I applaud you sir.

I too would like to know where opposing view points can be seen or heard.
    It seems that all of the popular sources have converged upon the status quo presented by the ap.

Trying to not live in an echo chamber is becoming increasingly more difficult.

Shred

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Not necessarily in this order, in terms of sourcing information*:
    INGO
    BBC
    Drudge
    Google news feed that I set up to hit certain topics

* As referenced upthread, I'm kinda reluctant to call it "news." At least in the traditional sense that I grew up with, we don't have much of that anymore.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I like Al Jazeera, BBC, and Vice News. While Vice News is quite left leaning, they actually do interesting stories that are not even blips on the larger news agencies.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've more come to the belief that you shouldn't take in intentionally biased sources like fox and msnbc commentary . It's better to find sources of people who at least make a little effort to see both sides of an issue. I think there's a difference between what someone on npr will do, reporting a story with obvious sympathies, vs what msnbc will do in intentionally misleading and overhyping to drive ratings and play to their target audience.

That said you can find podcasts that will fit any mold you're looking for, just look for non partisans.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    When I want opposing/far left opinions, I just call my family lol

mom always complains we never talk or do things together and so quiet when we visit.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    If you use WiFi TV (Roku or similar) take a look at RT. It's a free channel, the Russian equivalent to our NPR. They often have a completely different view of world events. They do have some well done specials on world poverty/hunger and such. Just keep in mind where it's produced. Of course there is SKY News for the British version of Fox and an alternative to BBC. For the USA produced content, I like One America News (OAN) which is solidly right wing.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    I used to do that. But now it’s hard to find dissenting opinions that aren’t crazy. By crazy I mean absurdly partisan. So now I get news stories mostly from social media. Then I try to piece together what really happened from as many sources as seems credible.

Heck, I've stopped going to sources that are actually more aligned with my views for this same reason. They've just gotten too looney these days. It seems like they're all going off the rails anymore.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

THIS.

Plus, what's your motive? Just to get worked up or to actually consider the merits?

I try to avoid anything with explicit bias; more often than not the facts are wrong.

I listen to a lot of NPR, there's mild lean to the left, more so on some shows.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

You're not one of those people that post, "Why is this news!?!?" when some personal interest story is posted on tv channel facebook pages are you? That drives me crazy. My first thought is, "Dude (or dudette), this is called "social media" for a reason. You want news? Go to a news site."

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You're not one of those people that post, "Why is this news!?!?" when some personal interest story is posted on tv channel facebook pages are you? That drives me crazy. My first thought is, "Dude (or dudette), this is called "social media" for a reason. You want news? Go to a news site."

I don’t do Facebook, nevertheless, I don’t think I’ve ever asked why a story is “news”. Social Media is actually a source of news. Often the headlines start out as people tweeting about some newsworthy event. It trends, and then the traditional media picks it up, and of course, adds their spin. I rely on social media, primarily twitter, to know that something newsworthy has happened. Then I use whatever credible sources I can find to learn the facts about it. Sometimes that means coming right here to INGO.

Top Bottom