Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post
    Perhaps importantly, Israel is/was an ally. Iran, after the fall of the House of Pahlavi, was not an ally.
    You have such a gift for understatement!
    Government and pedophiles both practice buggering those powerless to defend themselves.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by actaeon277 View Post
    One of my problems with the father of the nuclear program, was he created officers that were Techs first, and Tacticians second.
    Tom Clancy made the same observation, and it’s one with which I agree (even though I’m a Tech type myself).

I wonder how many of the legendary sub skippers of WW2 were experts in (as opposed to being highly knowledgeable about) Diesel-electric propulsion systems, sonar systems, or the design of the Mk 14 torpedo. Maybe “Lucky” Fluckey, since I’ve read he was supposed to be a superior electrical engineer.
    Brother, you asked for it!—Francisco Domingo Carlos Andres Sebastian d’Anconia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    We can't fight everyone's revolution for them.

That said, the path of righteousness is not always the path of peace. Peace at any cost is often just the acquiescence to evil. Nuclear weapons are an issue, but not nearly as large a one as the people who are willing to use them to destroy all they disagree with.
    As in Eric Swallows-Not-Well?
    Brother, you asked for it!—Francisco Domingo Carlos Andres Sebastian d’Anconia

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey1911 View Post
    Tom Clancy made the same observation, and it’s one with which I agree (even though I’m a Tech type myself).

I wonder how many of the legendary sub skippers of WW2 were experts in (as opposed to being highly knowledgeable about) Diesel-electric propulsion systems, sonar systems, or the design of the Mk 14 torpedo. Maybe “Lucky” Fluckey, since I’ve read he was supposed to be a superior electrical engineer.
    I wish I could recall the name.
    This post immediately brought to mind the character that Kelsey Grammer played in "Down Periscope".
    One seriously funny movie.
    Dormant U.S.Marine/ NRA Benefactor-Life

User Info Menu

Tom Dodge
    You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey1911 View Post
    As in Eric Swallows-Not-Well?
    guess I'll have to look that up when I have time.
    Thor himself has spoken, mere mortals must make it so. - bradmedic04

User Info Menu

Turkey is taking delivery of the s400's.
    Interesting times indeed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
    Well, they severely overcook their beef, and I've heard they even drink their beer warm. Savages!
    They don't drink it "warm." they just don't refrigerate it. The beer I had in England was cool - not cold.
    "When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." Robert A. Heinlein

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AmmoManAaron View Post
    I think that's an overly simplistic view. We didn't kill every German or Japanese soldier, let alone every German or Japanese civilian that shared their ideology. We killed them until they gave up. The Iraqis gave up and generally wanted to get their country back in order after the war, but the post-war police action failed for a large variety of reasons - some within our control and some not in our control.

I agree with Kut - twice! Germany and Japan were fairly modern nations with a fairly educated populace and both cultures valued order and self-improvement. It's a lot easier to start with that as a base, install your puppet gov't, and build up to democracy from there. Iraq was more of a challenge, but might have been a success if we had done a better job. Afghanistan? Forget it! Too many fractured loyalties, too backwards culturally, and minimal civilian education.
    We also rebuilt the West German and Japanese governments from the ground up. From what I remember reading years ago, Germans didn't put up too much fuss; their country had been laid waste and they could _see_ what was happening in Soviet-occupied sectors. Japan had some fairly significant resistance to US imposed changes in the first few years, but they eventually came around.
    "When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." Robert A. Heinlein

User Info Menu

And Germany and Japan are both now prepping to defend themselves.
    My two cents says they both have their own WMD components sitting on shelves ready for assembly.

Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast