• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Presidential candidate Andrew Yang wants you to vote for a $1000-a-month national wage.

https://www.fastcompany.com/4054943...-vote-for-a-1000-a-month-basic-income-in-2020

My democratic friend at work told me about this. Everyone would get $1000-a-month. I said who pays for this? We all will. I said if someone has no income, who pays for it? Everyone pays their share. So what's my share? Who benefits besides lower income and Uncle Sam? I said that's not going to work and he said something about strength in numbers. If it happens, me and my wife are going to quit our jobs, get a divorce, and each collect $1000 a month. Can't wait.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have heard people that are more economically conservative espouse similar concepts. Universal Basic Income isn't really a new concept. In fact, Friedrich Hayek himself supported such an idea.

However, in order for it to be implemented, it effectively replaces ALL other government assistance programs (which is something that Yang isn't proposing from what I can tell). But even if you do that, in the end you are looking at spending something like double the Federal budget (excluding Social Security and Military). The math just doesn't work.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If I can get free health insurance, food stamps and the $1000/month... I could probably go ahead and retire.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Instead of sending us a check why don't they just reduce our taxes by $1,000.00 and put it in our pockets that way. It's less work and more effective! It'll never happen but a guy can dream! :rolleyes:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    So those who don't need the money to survive, can invest it heavily and then retire with a nice little nest egg.

But people with poor money managing skills will go buy a beamer and quickly find it gets repo'd when they can afford the repairs, gas, and insurance.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    What kind of loser wants to earn $12k a year as their life goal?

I earned more money in high school mowing lawns, shoveling snow and working minimum wage at a part time job. That was four decades ago before inflation.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Any of you who think that all people would get the "guaranteed basic income" are living in a fantasy world.

...and yes, I know what the theorists say.

Not going to happen. Also, as noted above, it would only ever be given to current welfare recipients ON TOP OF current welfare...and again, yes, I know what they claim.

...and don't call it a wage. A wage is something you work for.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Any of you who think that all people would get the "guaranteed basic income" are living in a fantasy world.

...and yes, I know what the theorists say.

Not going to happen. Also, as noted above, it would only ever be given to current welfare recipients ON TOP OF current welfare...and again, yes, I know what they claim.

...and don't call it a wage. A wage is something you work for.

+10.............Winner.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What kind of loser wants to earn $12k a year as their life goal?

I earned more money in high school mowing lawns, shoveling snow and working minimum wage at a part time job. That was four decades ago before inflation.

Bingo. When I was 17 I had hustled up/saved enough money to put 75% down on a new Fire Bird. I had it paid off before I totaled it 6 months later. Who can live on $1K a month. Ridiculous.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I remember George McGovern had one of these $1K plans, didn't work out for him either.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Maybe I misunderstood something but I thought I heard him on Joe Rogan saying the money would be redirected from many Gov foriegn spending programs.

Yeah right. Just as realistic as most campaign BS.. Everyone promises to cut down on "useless spending" during campaigns but very very few accomplish that after elected.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I can see all of those programs going away. Seriously.

I know, I know more BS but after listening to Joe talk to him for a couple hours he started to make sense and sounded like reasonable solutions to current and future problems.

I'm not saying the idea is a ' cure all ' but what I remember is that the $ 1, 000 a month would take some pressure off of folks and in turn would help all of us .

It sounds like garbage in my post but if you get on YT and watch Andrew on Joe's podcast , he has some logical ideas .

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know, I know more BS but after listening to Joe talk to him for a couple hours he started to make sense and sounded like reasonable solutions to current and future problems.

I'm not saying the idea is a ' cure all ' but what I remember is that the $ 1, 000 a month would take some pressure off of folks and in turn would help all of us .

It sounds like garbage in my post but if you get on YT and watch Andrew on Joe's podcast , he has some logical ideas .

OK I will give you that but as with any other "Free ****" program the worthless and scammers will be lined up for miles. The illegals already scamming our system will be all in for this one. It just does not make any sense to me.

Top Bottom