Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Oregon Governor Orders State Police to Apprehend Republican State Senators.

User Info Menu

.... Because they left in order to prevent a vote on climate change legislation.

Similar to that thing Democrats did in Indy a few years back.
    Trust no one. The minute God crapped out the third caveman, a conspiracy was hatched against one of them.

User Info Menu

In the history of legislatures, this is not entirely unusual.
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

User Info Menu

Let the people who will be affected vote on it.

I know. Crazy talk.
    I find you offensive for finding me offensive.

Often imitated, Never duplicated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hatin Since 87 View Post
    Let the people who will be affected vote on it.

I know. Crazy talk.
    Where do you draw the line? Which issues require a direct vote of the people and which can be handled by their representatives?

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

So now in Oregon if you don’t show up for work the State Police are going to be dispatched ?
    Eating beavers just to help save trees.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Birds Away View Post
    Where do you draw the line? Which issues require a direct vote of the people and which can be handled by their representatives?
    Good question. Let the representatives deal with foreign policies and budget, the citizens can vote on societal issues

User Info Menu

I'm not a big fan of referendums. The citizenry is, by and large, ignorant of a lot of things and way too easily influenced. Prove me wrong.

While a representative republic has its flaws, I'll take it any day. Honestly "get something done" is a horrible goal of government. We should embrace gridlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Indyhd View Post
    So now in Oregon if you don’t show up for work the State Police are going to be dispatched ?
    Does you job happen to be as a legislator where you swore an oath to represent your constituents?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post
    I'm not a big fan of referendums. The citizenry is, by and large, ignorant of a lot of things and way too easily influenced. Prove me wrong.

While a representative republic has its flaws, I'll take it any day. Honestly "get something done" is a horrible goal of government. We should embrace gridlock.

Does you job happen to be as a legislator where you swore an oath to represent your constituents?
    Another good point, but what prevents the minority party from never attending? Much like this instance, what keeps them from avoiding it until their party is the majority? The threat of not being re-elected? As you said, the citizenry is ignorant, and would have no problem voting those people back in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hatin Since 87 View Post
    Another good point, but what prevents the minority party from never attending? Much like this instance, what keeps them from avoiding it until their party is the majority? The threat of not being re-elected? As you said, the citizenry is ignorant, and would have no problem voting those people back in.
    State Police.

Again, this situation is hardly unique. It seems pretty archaic to run away and then send police to arrest legislators....but streamlined efficiency is not what I expect, or what I want, when it comes to passing more laws.

Last edited by HoughMade; 06-24-2019 at 14:57.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast