• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I honestly don't think 5 percent of the population could pass that test. I'm not entirely sure I would if it was fill in the blank and I didn't study first.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I honestly don't think 5 percent of the population could pass that test. I'm not entirely sure I would if it was fill in the blank and I didn't study first.

Direct link to the questions and answers: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Office%20of%20Citizenship/Citizenship%20Resource%20Center%20Site/Publications/100q.pdf

I'd bet that a large percentage of people on this board would pass it fairly easily. The naturalization exam requires correct answers on 6/10 from a 100 question pool. I got 6 2/3 of the first 7 questions correct. One of them is "What is one right or freedom from the First Amendment?" Knowing that there are five and naming them all is more of a challenge, but one?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If *I* were in HS and I were forced to take this test...a test with ZERO ramifications on graduation... I personally may not be too keen to care what score I got. I'd likely just pick random answers.

HOWEVER - If a social studies department were smart, they'd give this test as a for-credit quiz/test and grade it that way.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Give your fellow citizens a little more credit - those questions aren't that hard.

Name the U.S. war between the North and the South.
    ▪ the Civil War
    ▪ the War between the States
    Curiously, "The war of Northern Aggression" isn't a valid response...

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Give your fellow citizens a little more credit - those questions aren't that hard.

Honestly, I thought I was being generous. Half of INGO thinks that if you are a Republic, you can't be a Democracy too.

However, I do think it all depends upon whether it is multiple choice. If so, maybe 20% could pass. Don't get me wrong, I think it would be great if the average person knew more than I give them credit for, but I just don't think so.

A couple of years ago we took a cruise ship that left out of Baltimore. I was standing near a large group of people as we sailed by Fort McHenry. Someone asked what it was. I responded loud enough for everyone to hear... "That is Ft. McHenry, does anyone know what it is famous for?" Not one person had a clue.

Curiously, "The war of Northern Aggression" isn't a valid response...

Funny thing, neither was the "The Southern War to Save Slavery." I guess the name has been settled by now.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Can I, as a childless taxpayer, get a refund? :dunno:

You know, people get to take income tax deductions for their dependent children. It seems only fair that those without children should get a tax credit on their property taxes for not using the school system.

ETA, that should apply to home schoolers as well.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Can I, as a childless taxpayer, get a refund? :dunno:

I'll listen to your argument if you'll listen to mine about paying the taxes and then homeschooling- and paying for- my own kids' education.

I'll listen to both, if you guys listen to mine about how everyone benefits when the public school system is strong. And whoever is is pitching their argument buys a round. ;)

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    Sounds a little bit like the “History and Moral Philosophy” course required in Robert A. Heinlein’s “Starship Troopers”; particularly since neither the Indiana “Civics” course nor H&MP are/were courses that were graded.

”Another year, and for me: another failure. One can lead a child to knowledge, but he cannot make him think.”
    —Jean V. Dubois, Lt. Col., Mobile Infantry (retired)

Top Bottom