Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

User Info Menu

New Law Taking Effect Today - Civics Exam

New law will require Indiana high schoolers to take US citizenship test

Kind of a law with no teeth... they aren't required to pass it to graduate (they should be IMHO!), but they have to take it...

https://fox59.com/2019/04/26/new-law...n-you-pass-it/

Grandmaster DeadeyeChrista'sdad's Avatar

User Info Menu

If they fail Mommy and Daddy need the stupid slapped out of them.
    I hear They call him Flipper. Yes... yes, I'm serious.

User Info Menu

I honestly don't think 5 percent of the population could pass that test. I'm not entirely sure I would if it was fill in the blank and I didn't study first.
    INGO - too small for a republic, too large for an insane asylum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob63 View Post
    I honestly don't think 5 percent of the population could pass that test. I'm not entirely sure I would if it was fill in the blank and I didn't study first.
    That was my understanding of the test also.
    Putting firearms' contribution back in our history makes a more complete telling. Teaching marksmanship in that context deepens the understanding. Revere's Riders, because history involved guns!

Expert

User Info Menu

Direct link to the questions and answers: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...tions/100q.pdf

I'd bet that a large percentage of people on this board would pass it fairly easily. The naturalization exam requires correct answers on 6/10 from a 100 question pool. I got 6 2/3 of the first 7 questions correct. One of them is "What is one right or freedom from the First Amendment?" Knowing that there are five and naming them all is more of a challenge, but one?
    The founding fathers would not be allowed a voice in the modern digital public square.

User Info Menu

If *I* were in HS and I were forced to take this test...a test with ZERO ramifications on graduation... I personally may not be too keen to care what score I got. I'd likely just pick random answers.

HOWEVER - If a social studies department were smart, they'd give this test as a for-credit quiz/test and grade it that way.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

User Info Menu

Give your fellow citizens a little more credit - those questions aren't that hard.

Name the U.S. war between the North and the South.
    ▪ the Civil War
    ▪ the War between the States
    Curiously, "The war of Northern Aggression" isn't a valid response...
    Quote Originally Posted by printcraft View Post
    I have received and I have given. Usually at different times. But sometime at the same time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post
    Give your fellow citizens a little more credit - those questions aren't that hard.
    Honestly, I thought I was being generous. Half of INGO thinks that if you are a Republic, you can't be a Democracy too.

However, I do think it all depends upon whether it is multiple choice. If so, maybe 20% could pass. Don't get me wrong, I think it would be great if the average person knew more than I give them credit for, but I just don't think so.

A couple of years ago we took a cruise ship that left out of Baltimore. I was standing near a large group of people as we sailed by Fort McHenry. Someone asked what it was. I responded loud enough for everyone to hear... "That is Ft. McHenry, does anyone know what it is famous for?" Not one person had a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post
    Curiously, "The war of Northern Aggression" isn't a valid response...
    Funny thing, neither was the "The Southern War to Save Slavery." I guess the name has been settled by now.
    Last edited by rob63; 2 Weeks Ago at 13:01.
    INGO - too small for a republic, too large for an insane asylum.

User Info Menu

​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DeadeyeChrista'sdad View Post
    If they fail Mommy and Daddy need the stupid slapped out of them.
    If they fail the school systems need to be refunding taxpayers money for failing to properly educate the children.
    When seconds matter the 2nd Amendment matters.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast