• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think I found an analogy to the "MAGA" / "NO! MAGA BAD!" that makes sense. Ive been working solo doing some mundane repetetive work. My mind tends to wander when I do this stuff. (putting ends on about 200 network cables... in other news, my thumbnails are pretty thrashed from adjusting wires)

Person 1: (thinking back to the likes of 70s GTs, Mustangs, etc) "Make Ford Great Again!"

Person 2: (recalling visions of rear ended Pintos in flames) "NO! Ford was never good!"

I'm pretty sure that those against it are assuming that to bring back the old means bringing back both good and bad.

Also pretty sure nobody is actually calling for us to bring back EVERYTHING we used to be. Some of it was downright awful. But overall a good thing.

After all, if we were as bad as some say, we wouldn't have people wanting to come here.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I think that almost all heated disagreements are rooted in the misguided assumptions that are made by people about the ones they disagree with.

It is pretty much normal that if you post an opinion on something, someone will argue with you about something that you didn't actually say, because they made assumptions.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Reagan's shining city on the hill was the vision of Arthur's Camelot (or Norman Rockwell) and the call of Might FOR Right, not the remembrance of British inherited slavery. Anybody who thinks we want to bring the bad back is an idiot not worth arguing with...so I still don't understand it.

Hope your thumbs are better.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I think that almost all heated disagreements are rooted in the misguided assumptions that are made by people about the ones they disagree with.

It is pretty much normal that if you post an opinion on something, someone will argue with you about something that you didn't actually say, because they made assumptions.

ROB63 is 100 % correct.
    People over analyze, read too much into it, or already have made up their minds.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My confusion was always the 'again' part. I thought America was about as great as it has ever been. Nostalgia tends to blur the truth. I believe by most measures we're better off today than we've ever been.

Aren't modern Ford cars better in every objective measure than they were in the 70s?

That all said I envy the things we managed to mobilize and accomplish in times of actual existential crisis like harnessing the atom and going to the moon. But maybe that's just nostalgia as well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My confusion was always the 'again' part. I thought America was about as great as it has ever been. Nostalgia tends to blur the truth. I believe by most measures we're better off today than we've ever been.

Aren't modern Ford cars better in every objective measure than they were in the 70s?

That all said I envy the things we managed to mobilize and accomplish in times of actual existential crisis like harnessing the atom and going to the moon. But maybe that's just nostalgia as well.

I long for the simplicity of my younger years.
    But in that I would miss the internet.
    And 260 channels playing pretty much nothing...:):

I long for the simplicity of the cars in my younger years.
    But in that I would miss the everyday creature comforts and my remote start. Yes, I would miss my remote start. And 4 wheel disk brakes. And radial tires. And great sound systems.

Good points you make sir.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I don't think MAGA is about going backwards in time, but more about raising up the US on the world stage, building our economy by bringing manufacturing back to our country, and making us more self sufficient than we currently are.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I don't think MAGA is about going backwards in time, but more about raising up the US on the world stage, building our economy by bringing manufacturing back to our country, and making us more self sufficient than we currently are.

Isn't US manufacturing production as high as ever? Just being done by fewer people.

I second the self sufficient part but I'm not sure the focus has been in the right place, we should be dumping big money into nuclear power and get off of oil. We got a boost with fracking but that won't last forever.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I long for the simplicity of my younger years.
    But in that I would miss the internet.
    And 260 channels playing pretty much nothing...:):

I long for the simplicity of the cars in my younger years.
    But in that I would miss the everyday creature comforts and my remote start. Yes, I would miss my remote start. And 4 wheel disk brakes. And radial tires. And great sound systems.

Good points you make sir.

I would only add that I also long for the simplicity of the bikes of my younger years; carbureted, chain driven, dual pivot dual shock and not a drop of water inside the engine

I think this is part of the reason the more mechanically simple cars and bikes that you could actually tweak and work on and improve without specialized tools remain popular with those who enjoyed them first time around. Even though I'm a pretty died in the wool japanese motorcycle fan, I've toyed with the idea lately of getting a 90s FXR and personalizing it

Edit: Some of the hottest bikes from this era like FJs and KZs are being bought up here, where their desirability is mostly in decline, shipped back to Japan and being restored - sometimes commercially and sold for big ¥

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The OP's point is made by Megan Rapinoe's recent statement about how Trump's vision of a Great America "excludes" her. She is obviously suggesting Trump advocates going back to when Gays were second-class citizens. This is despite the fact that Trump has gone on record many times as stating he supports LGBTQ equality, and the fact that he draws no possible political advantage from it. His children believe in it, his wife believes in it, he himself has doubled-down on it many times...but there simply is no getting through to the people on the extreme Left. Rapinoe's statement (and sentiment) are completely - and more important, purposely - ignorant of reality.

Last edited:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I would only add that I also long for the simplicity of the bikes of my younger years; carbureted, chain driven, dual pivot dual shock and not a drop of water inside the engine

I think this is part of the reason the more mechanically simple cars and bikes that you could actually tweak and work on and improve without specialized tools remain popular with those who enjoyed them first time around. Even though I'm a pretty died in the wool japanese motorcycle fan, I've toyed with the idea lately of getting a 90s FXR and personalizing it

Edit: Some of the hottest bikes from this era like FJs and KZs are being bought up here, where their desirability is mostly in decline, shipped back to Japan and being restored - sometimes commercially and sold for big ¥

Side track...
    My dad owns 4 or 5 kz's.... he loves them. I learned to ride Street bikes on a ('78)?

Herr Vogel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2018
    Rossburg
    Overall I'm not a fan of Trump aside from his occupying the slot of "lesser evil".
    He's done some stuff I agree with.
    He's done more that I don't agree with.
    But most importantly, for the past four years he's made anyone left of Stalin go absolutely librarian-poo.
    And in the end, isn't that what really matters?

Last edited:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    This thread / topic is illustrating what I've scratched my head over, what does MAGA mean?

The answer I've come to is it means everything and nothing, leads to nothing, requires nothing, promises nothing but means whatever someone needs it to be. And, yeah, it puts a bee in the bonnet of those who are going to oppose the president and thereby provides a rally point for his supporters. So everybody is watching one hand and missing what the other is doing.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I surely wish that fiscal sanity could be possible. But, no, we're at the right hand side of that hockey stick chart that economists have been pointing to for decades with dire warnings of what happens when you can't borrow enough money to pay the interest on the debt.

Some have been been pointing out that Donald Trump the man is a bankruptcy experienced person to lead the nation through the process. Sure sounds like a plan to me.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I surely wish that fiscal sanity could be possible. But, no, we're at the right hand side of that hockey stick chart that economists have been pointing to for decades with dire warnings of what happens when you can't borrow enough money to pay the interest on the debt.

Some have been been pointing out that Donald Trump the man is a bankruptcy experienced person to lead the nation through the process. Sure sounds like a plan to me.

I hadn't thought about that before ha one thing he's most qualified for

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Here's my MAGA list, and lets see if ya'll agree.

It's a return to:

-Fiscal responsibility
    -Civility
    -patriotism, NOT nationalism
    -Return to being a "producing" rather than "consuming" nation.
    -A man with a open hand for a shovel, not a handout
    -A military with a well defined purpose
    -Supporting traditional allies, and opposing traditional enemies
    -Economically empowering nations and spreading Democracy (i.e. curbing illegal immigration)

If I was running for president, that would be my platform. How does the current administration rank concerning the above?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Here's my MAGA list, and lets see if ya'll agree.

It's a return to:

-Fiscal responsibility
    -Civility
    -patriotism, NOT nationalism
    -Return to being a "producing" rather than "consuming" nation.
    -A man with a open hand for a shovel, not a handout
    -A military with a well defined purpose
    -Supporting traditional allies, and opposing traditional enemies
    -Economically empowering nations and spreading Democracy (i.e. curbing illegal immigration)

If I was running for president, that would be my platform. How does the current administration rank concerning the above?

Hell, NOBODY (either side) meets those criteria.

Top Bottom