Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Where do rights come from?

Spinoff of a funny pictures thread conversation. Didnít want to clog it up.

Simple question: where do rights come from? What gives one man the authority to say that anything another man does is right/wrong or legal/illegal?

I hear a lot that they come from man, but I believe that most people donít actually live their lives that way.
    Don't practice until you do it right; practice until you can't do it wrong.

User Info Menu

I guess the shallow, easy answer is "our founders"? Which each country could probably extrapolate to be "society" and what "society" agrees upon.

Then you can get into "human rights" and "inalienable rights".... basic things that, morally, everyone should agree to, but don't necessarily.

Hmm.
    Let that be my contrarian reply...

User Info Menu

It is deeper than the founders, it is deeper than who they read, it is deeper than the magna carta, it is the Bible and the God of the bible.

Remove the Bible, as the athiests desire and there will be no restraint at all.

ATM

User Info Menu

Free will.

www.reveresriders.org

Say no to drugs. Say yes to bacon!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Vogel View Post
    The three fundamental human rights are Life, Liberty, and Property.
    That is, you have exclusive control over your body.
    Exclusive control over your actions.
    And exclusive control over the fruits of your labor.
    In Christianity, the Bible say a Christian has no guarantee of any of those - we are enslaved to God, and to a much lesser extent, Caesar.

Paul even writes about slaves being the best slaves they can be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post
    In Christianity, the Bible say a Christian has no guarantee of any of those - we are enslaved to God, and to a much lesser extent, Caesar.

Paul even writes about slaves being the best slaves they can be.
    And how can you have a guarantee of those if it was decided before you that you don't?

Say a country is being founded, and the people of that time all agree that the people do not have control over the fruits of their labor. For whatever reason.

And everyone agrees on that, and every future person born is born into that, and doesn't question it because it's just how things are.

You never had that right to begin with.

There's probably going to be two different views in this thread... people that think of how it should be, and how it is.

That, and the religious answers.

User Info Menu

Rights are defined by the agreement or acquiescence of those who submit to authority.

Ultimately, might makes right.

I can decide that I have a right to my neighbor's property because I am mightier than he. Then the state comes along and decides I don't have that right, and it is mightier than I.
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GPIA7R View Post
    Then you can get into "human rights" and "inalienable rights".... basic things that, morally, everyone should agree to, but don't necessarily.
    Thatís where the rub is. If rights, and by extension morals, come from inside manís conscience, then nobody has any authority to tell anybody anything. Cause screw your right and wrong, Iíll do whatís right by me. Even the obvious stuff, like murder being wrong. Thatís nearly universal. Except genecides happens fairly regularly. Whoís to tell them theyíre wrong? It obviously wasnít wrong to them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post
    Ultimately, might makes right.
    Not according to our constiution. Certain rights are inalienable. You have them because you are a human being, outside of any degree of force.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianPatriot View Post
    Not according to our constiution. Certain rights are inalienable. You have them because you are a human being, outside of any degree of force.
    Because our founders decreed that. They didn't have to include that part in the Constitution. It was their opinion, and now we all live by it.

Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast