• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    If you are a (fill in the blank) - American ...

Or have a hyphenated surname ....

Or British (and, God forbid, British with a hyphenated surname) ...

I want you to realize that most of the rest of the world does not recognize you as a protected class and that you shouldn't expect special treatment as a result of a hyphen.

If you are British, it's obvious that you no longer rule the seven seas. Possibly not even a strait.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I feel like we're only a few months away from a generation of kids with between 4 and 8 hyphenated surnames.

...excepting, of course, people of Latin decent who have been hip to this for a long time.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would add that hyphenated people, at least those calling themselves -Americans are indicating that they have no intention of becoming fully integrated into our society which defeats the entire concept of creating one people from many.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If you are a (fill in the blank) - American ...

Or have a hyphenated surname ....

Or British (and, God forbid, British with a hyphenated surname) ...

I want you to realize that most of the rest of the world does not recognize you as a protected class and that you shouldn't expect special treatment as a result of a hyphen.

If you are British, it's obvious that you no longer rule the seven seas. Possibly not even a strait.

With a dog for an avatar? Really? Because pedigreed dogs have some of the most pretentious, over-hyphenated names imaginable

Unless you're telling us that ... never mind
    :)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So, many years ago, I was talking to a buddy of mine and I think I used the term "African-American". He said: "that's OK for other people, but I'm black."

He continued: "I've never been to Africa. I was born in Barbados and when I was growing up in Brooklyn, I was black....still am".

I said: "Copy that".

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    With a dog for an avatar? Really? Because pedigreed dogs have some of the most pretentious, over-hyphenated names imaginable

Unless you're telling us that ... never mind
    :)

Gort feels threatened by a dog.

Perhaps you are the one who needs a new foto.

Butterfly maybe? :laugh:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    So, many years ago, I was talking to a buddy of mine and I think I used the term "African-American". He said: "that's OK for other people, but I'm black."

He continued: "I've never been to Africa. I was born in Barbados and when I was growing up in Brooklyn, I was black....still am".

I said: "Copy that".

I work with a woman from Trinidad. She finds it offensive to be called African.

She would prefer that I call her Christine.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    IIRC it was the womens libbers who started this nonsense decades ago. The thinking was that they didn't want to give up their identity. Back then I thought it was stupid, now I just don't care.

PS: My boxer was schoerner graf Franz aus Nord. A German lady I worked with got a laugh out of it when I told her. Not quite a hyphen, but he was a dog blue blood, so.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

She would prefer that I call her Christine.

"And the lady, she hails from Trinidad, island of the spices. There's salt for your meat, and cinnamon sweet, and the rum is for all your good vices." - Jimmy Buffett :)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have a friend from Haiti. She has the same sentiment. Her forebears, as Haitians, took up arms to liberate themselves more than 50 years before our Civil War.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Is someone here going to melt down or should I just unsub.

EDIT: You had better clear that hyphen in the sand barrel or you'll be met at the low ready!

Top Bottom