• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    During a chess game discussion in 1983 we pondered the 5th trumpet locusts, idly speculating over whether they could be a genetically engineered weapon system, something that you could produce ahead of time, package, stick in the freezer and deploy as needed. That was really out there back then but not so much now. Any how, I've been hearing about the tick development program for years now and scratched my head over it (not like I had bugs :)). And now, lo and behold, congress is doing something with it. I don't watch TV news but it would be surprising if it showed up there.

So here it is, whatever it is. Can't wait to see how it plays out.
    https://www.rollcall.com/news/congress/house-orders-pentagon-report-whether-weaponized-ticks

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    What I've heard about over the last few years amounts to a research project. That would mean taking an existing organism, modifying it and then tracking the incoming reports to glean the data you're after. That is the same thing that the MIC has been caught at over the last few decades, using the public (quite legally) as lab rats. So when you see something like the article you posted the link to, it's worthwhile to give it the sniff test for being SOP misdirection damage control. But, as I said before, I'm waiting to see how this plays out because though it is indeed something, the one thing I don't know yet is what this really is.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Been around southern Indiana a long time and I think the uptick in Lyme's disease is more related to the increase in the number of ticks and the introduction of the Lone Star Tick which is a more aggressive species. There are a lot more animals to act as hosts in the forest than back in the 70s as well. In populated places those animals like deer have adjusted to being around humans taking Lyme's with them. Spray your clothes liberally with Permethrin and don't worry about the ticks until the government bans it.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What I've heard about over the last few years amounts to a research project. That would mean taking an existing organism, modifying it and then tracking the incoming reports to glean the data you're after. That is the same thing that the MIC has been caught at over the last few decades, using the public (quite legally) as lab rats. So when you see something like the article you posted the link to, it's worthwhile to give it the sniff test for being SOP misdirection damage control. But, as I said before, I'm waiting to see how this plays out because though it is indeed something, the one thing I don't know yet is what this really is.

Did you miss the part about B. burgdorferi being detectable in samples as far back as the mid 1800s? And even if they were testing ticks as a vector, they didn't have genetic means of testing for infection. How can you gather data on the effectiveness of your vector if you choose an infectious agent that many people don't even realize they have until month's later and even a gene-probe test isn't considered reliable evidence of an active infection

That any professional would design such a vague and inconclusive experiment is what fails the sniff test

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I'm not in the project so I don't know what genetic engineering could have been done, the intents or duration of such an operation, how effects would be confirmed... or for that matter what % of persons could have what symptoms and thus feel compelled to seek medical treatment. But you seem to think you know all about it so please continue. I'm as willing to listen to your take on it as I am for others.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I certainly don't know all about what the government has done or is capable of doing, but I hypothesize that any project would have been proposed and designed by academics and those academics would want the metrics of the experiment to be quantifiable

But I could just as easily be wrong and the project was inspired by a perceived 'mineshaft gap', but without any further information to modify my judgements I'm going to go with scientifically unlikely

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Been around southern Indiana a long time and I think the uptick in Lyme's disease is more related to the increase in the number of ticks and the introduction of the Lone Star Tick which is a more aggressive species. There are a lot more animals to act as hosts in the forest than back in the 70s as well. In populated places those animals like deer have adjusted to being around humans taking Lyme's with them. Spray your clothes liberally with Permethrin and don't worry about the ticks until the government bans it.

That's the tick that can make you allergic to all meat!!!

:faint:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That's the tick that can make you allergic to all meat!!!

:faint:

The young Lone Star Ticks are also referred to as seed/turkey ticks in these parts, active from now until the end of September. REALLY unpleasant to get mixed up with.:nailbite:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Couple years ago they were even on the frame around our front door.
    One was the dadburn door handle!

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    You can buy bulk liquid permethrin on Amazon (or Tractor Supply) and it works GREAT for treating lawns for ticks.

I spray it along trails and around the barn at my land, plus around my house, in spring and fall and it does a VERY noticeable job knocking populations down.

Just about time to spray again as we’re entering seed tick season.

Also as mentioned above, Sawyer’s permethrin on pants/socks if not also shirt and boots...that stuff is awesome and works great.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I use a Malathion mix.
    Remember the smell from childhood, grampaw dunking the hounds.

Top Bottom