Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoxaJunk View Post
    I love listening to both of those guys, but after discussions like that one, I always come away being pretty disappointed in myself that I haven't read more of the right books in my life (or remembered more from the ones I did read).
    That’s why they’re on the stage having the discussion at that level and we’re here chatting about it.
    -spreading the word to end the r-word is retarded
    -activism is retarded because, what if you’re full of ****?

tsm
    Plinker

User Info Menu

How do you explain Sharia law in the context of “can’t legislate morality?” Presumably it’s a little more effective when backed up by the threat of dismemberment for violators.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tsm View Post
    How do you explain Sharia law in the context of “can’t legislate morality?” Presumably it’s a little more effective when backed up by the threat of dismemberment for violators.
    They’re requiring prescribed behavior that mimics their morality. It’s nothing more than that. They’re not legislating morality because they cannot force people to be moral agents. People have to be that for themselves.
    -spreading the word to end the r-word is retarded
    -activism is retarded because, what if you’re full of ****?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jludo View Post
    I honestly think it must be part genetic, that they can retain so much information and just throw it out off the tops of their heads. Even books I've read recently, I'll try to reiterate an interesting passage to someone only to realize my memory of it is a jumbled mess
    Quote Originally Posted by jamil View Post
    That’s why they’re on the stage having the discussion at that level and we’re here chatting about it.

Bet they both suck at shooting .
    No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up.

User Info Menu

Bet they both suck at shooting .
    Unfortunately Harris is into shooting...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jludo View Post
    Unfortunately Harris is into shooting...

Sigh.....damn.
    No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up.

User Info Menu

I'm a Biologist by education, though my employer calls me an Environmental Scientist; also a life-long amateur naturalist. I'm a relative old-timer and I've been at it for over 30 years and I find myself more fascinated in how much hasn't changed. Debate will always rage on among passionate scholars, I agree, but gravity still causes things to accelerate toward's the earth at the same rate that it did in 1687 when Newton published his Principia.
    True (at certain elevations/depths), but at the same time we also can't figure out if eggs are good for us or not, or if the planet is getting warmer or cooler, to name obvious and I'll admit slightly obtuse subjects.

At best, people are good measuring things. We know what the constant of gravity is, but we have a hard time explaining how it works and have absolutely no idea why.

I've heard the natural world explained by a Philosopher as such, "If we are presented with a chocolate cake, we can determine every ingredient that went into it, we can determine how long it was baked and at what temperature. The only thing we can't determine is why the baker chose chocolate."

My philosophy is that we're a bit like a race car team. We can drive the car, we can very accurately read all the gauges in the car, and we can measure how fast the car goes round the track. We can even take the car apart and see how it works (for the most part). Were we tasked at creating our own car from scratch, without the aid of those who invented it, I dare say we'd even know where or how to start. We have a difficult time even replicating what has already been made.

So, it is with the deepest humility that I approach the natural sciences, because I know exactly how much it is, that we as a people, don't know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ATOMonkey View Post
    My philosophy is that we're a bit like a race car team. We can drive the car, we can very accurately read all the gauges in the car, and we can measure how fast the car goes round the track. We can even take the car apart and see how it works (for the most part). Were we tasked at creating our own car from scratch, without the aid of those who invented it, I dare say we'd even know where or how to start. We have a difficult time even replicating what has already been made.
    If you're referring to life You might do some research into it, it's pretty interesting how much we know. Also what happens to this argument when/ if we figure out how to make life from scratch?

I'm not sure that us having not figured something out yet is a positive argument for anything like a God.

Interesting bit on where we stand on creating 'synthetic' life

User Info Menu

meh... My daughter passed out twice recently. Diagnosis?

My son has dual type ADHD, General Anxiey, and is Autistic. Which pill is best for him?

We barely know how the human body works, much less how to make one.

User Info Menu

When we can do something simple, like make gravity on a starship, then I'll sit up and pay attention.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast