• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I wrote letters to Sen. Young and my congressman Trey Hollingsworth. The subject was suppressors. After the terrible shooting in VA. where the alleged perp. used a suppressor, I thought I'd voice my opinion on the matter. I only got general gun topic "pat" form letters from everyone but Mike Braun. Although he didn't come out in support of them, he does seem to have a handle on the facts and actually replied to the specific topic that was the subject of my letter. Kudos to Sen. Mike Braun.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    [FONT=&quot] Thank you for contacting my office regardinggun suppressors. I appreciate hearing from you.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] On June 24, 2019, Senator Menendez introduced S. 1943, the Help Empower Americans to Respond Act of 2019 (HEAR Act). Should this bill be enacted, it would allow the increased regulation of firearms silencers and mufflers.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] I know that the federal government’s most fundamental responsibility is to keep citizens safe. As a United States Senator, public safety is therefore a top priority. I know that our Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms, like most rights, is fundamental but not unlimited. Steps must be taken to ensure that the dangerously mentally ill and those who wish to do others harm are not able to legally purchase and possess firearms and accessories to commit violent acts. I also understand that suppressors can be a useful aid to law abiding gun owners who have hearing problems or those who want to avoid hearing problems down the road. Currently, under the National Firearms Act, purchasing a silencer requires fingerprints, photographs, a fee, and a background check.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Divisive rhetoric has plagued the issue of gun violence for far too long; we need to get back to a government that works toward finding common ground on important issues, and crafting solutions for problems in our society. I am eager to get to work with my colleagues to take steps to make our country safer. Should legislation regarding suppressors come to the floor, I will keep your thoughts in mind as the discussion continues.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to serve as your U.S. Senator from Indiana. Please keep in touch with me on issues of concern to you. You can also follow me on Twitter or Facebook for real-time updates on my activities in the U.S. Senate. If I ever may be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Sincerely,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    SenBraunSignature.PNG
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Mike Braun
    U.S. Senator
    [/FONT]

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    [FONT=&amp] Thank you for contacting my office regardinggun suppressors. I appreciate hearing from you.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] On June 24, 2019, Senator Menendez introduced S. 1943, the Help Empower Americans to Respond Act of 2019 (HEAR Act). Should this bill be enacted, it would allow the increased regulation of firearms silencers and mufflers.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] I know that the federal government’s most fundamental responsibility is to keep citizens safe. As a United States Senator, public safety is therefore a top priority. I know that our Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms, like most rights, is fundamental but not unlimited. Steps must be taken to ensure that the dangerously mentally ill and those who wish to do others harm are not able to legally purchase and possess firearms and accessories to commit violent acts. I also understand that suppressors can be a useful aid to law abiding gun owners who have hearing problems or those who want to avoid hearing problems down the road. Currently, under the National Firearms Act, purchasing a silencer requires fingerprints, photographs, a fee, and a background check.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] Divisive rhetoric has plagued the issue of gun violence for far too long; we need to get back to a government that works toward finding common ground on important issues, and crafting solutions for problems in our society. I am eager to get to work with my colleagues to take steps to make our country safer. Should legislation regarding suppressors come to the floor, I will keep your thoughts in mind as the discussion continues.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] Thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to serve as your U.S. Senator from Indiana. Please keep in touch with me on issues of concern to you. You can also follow me on Twitter or Facebook for real-time updates on my activities in the U.S. Senate. If I ever may be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Sincerely,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    SenBraunSignature.PNG
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Mike Braun
    U.S. Senator
    [/FONT]

Thanks for posting that. While not an ideal position, it seems more personable than the kind of canned responses we were used to getting from mealy mouthed Joe Donnelly. So at least that's an improvement.

I'm gonna disagree with Braun on what is the most fundamental responsibility of the federal government. According to the US Constitution it is not to keep citizens safe. The line between freedom and safety is the central point of argument in any serious gun debate, yet nowhere is safety listed as a right. I agree that no right is unlimited, but where is the constitutional authority to favor safety of a few over the rights of the many?

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I too sent Braun an email about suppressors. I too also received the exact same email above in response. Received it today

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    What is it with politicians thinking their job is to keep us safe? I've never read anywhere in the constitution that safety was the no.1 priority for the job...?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    What is it with politicians thinking their job is to keep us safe? I've never read anywhere in the constitution that safety was the no.1 priority for the job...?

Sheep like to think they have a Sheepdog keeping them safe, when actually that is the wolf just figuring out how to take from them, but not alert the herd.

Trading freedom for safety is a losing proposition, most people just can't rap their head around that.

Also plays into the idea that humans are wired to avert loss and risk as opposed to strive for gain. These politicians know exactly whay they are doing.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I blame Godzilla movies.

Too many people have grown up with the conditioning that if something bad happens, just run and scream and wait for the brainiac to convince the military to hand themselves over for the common good...

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I wouldn't expect to get a personal, one off, response and I'm not saying that Mike Braun is perfect, but he at least sent a response that indicated that he was actually interested in the topic from a private citizen. As I also previously stated, he does seem to have some knowledge about the subject. That is much better than the other two elected "representatives" did.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I recently saw on the news where Mike Braun is proposing to introduce a federal "Red Flag" bill. I really don't like legislation proposed in the wake of emotional tragedies. I am not certain that these kind of laws would really focus on those subject to violent acts, but like most gun laws, would instead be a burden on the vast majority of law-abiding gun owners.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't see the senator as an ardent 2A supporter, but he was better than who he ran against. In the end, that's the decision we are given.

Leadership sometimes feels that it has to be seen doing something about whatever issue big media is shrilly screaming about even if it will have no effect at all. The recent shooters passed a NICS so the whole background check idea is moot. Until some line is agreed upon that stops that person from having firearms besides a criminal record check like NICS it's going to be a coin toss by a judge.

Beyond that you still have the fact that a convicted violent criminal can buy a gun with crack cocaine and use it to murder a policeman as happened in Indianapolis some years back.

Merk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Jasper
    i was disappointed in his endorsement of red flag laws. He was born a raised in my home town. I assumed he would bring common sense and logic to Washington. Seems i may have been mistaken.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    i was disappointed in his endorsement of red flag laws. He was born a raised in my home town. I assumed he would bring common sense and logic to Washington. Seems i may have been mistaken.

I keep wondering how red flag laws would work at the Federal level.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    After reading his response, it read as a great answer with out actually answering. Just because he understands our views, doesn't mean he gives a crap. Makes him quite dangerous.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    [FONT=&amp] Thank you for contacting my office regardinggun suppressors. I appreciate hearing from you.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] On June 24, 2019, Senator Menendez introduced S. 1943, the Help Empower Americans to Respond Act of 2019 (HEAR Act). Should this bill be enacted, it would allow the increased regulation of firearms silencers and mufflers.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] I know that the federal government’s most fundamental responsibility is to keep citizens safe. As a United States Senator, public safety is therefore a top priority. I know that our Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms, like most rights, is fundamental but not unlimited. Steps must be taken to ensure that the dangerously mentally ill and those who wish to do others harm are not able to legally purchase and possess firearms and accessories to commit violent acts. I also understand that suppressors can be a useful aid to law abiding gun owners who have hearing problems or those who want to avoid hearing problems down the road. Currently, under the National Firearms Act, purchasing a silencer requires fingerprints, photographs, a fee, and a background check.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] Divisive rhetoric has plagued the issue of gun violence for far too long; we need to get back to a government that works toward finding common ground on important issues, and crafting solutions for problems in our society. I am eager to get to work with my colleagues to take steps to make our country safer. Should legislation regarding suppressors come to the floor, I will keep your thoughts in mind as the discussion continues.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp] Thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to serve as your U.S. Senator from Indiana. Please keep in touch with me on issues of concern to you. You can also follow me on Twitter or Facebook for real-time updates on my activities in the U.S. Senate. If I ever may be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Sincerely,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    SenBraunSignature.PNG
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Mike Braun
    U.S. Senator
    [/FONT]

Well, that is about 2000% better than his speech at the NRA Leadership Forum this spring but that didn't exactly set the bar high.

Top Bottom