Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jludo View Post
    It's a stupid sporting event, who's time are they wasting? They aren't drawing dicks in the sky with multimillion dollar f22s.
    Pretty sure those pilots were disciplined.
    Una salus victis nullam sperare salute.
    The only hope for the doomed, is no hope at all
    Virgil

I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast;
    for I intend to go in harm's way.
    John Paul Jones

A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs.
    Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by actaeon277 View Post
    Pretty sure those pilots were disciplined.
    Sadly, they were. And they were EA-18s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

User Info Menu

I was going by memory but an f35 was the story I saw.
    Main point is kneeling at the pan am games isn't taking anything away from you, dont pretend they're somehow squandering your hard earned money.

User Info Menu

I was going by memory but an f35 was the story I saw.
    Main point is kneeling at the pan am games isn't taking anything away from you, dont pretend they're somehow squandering your hard earned money.
    Yeah, but donít you think thatís a bit over-characterizing what he said? Whose time is it that he said was being wasted. I took it as, collectively, heís not representing the people who sent him there. Heís airing personal grievances on their time.
    I have spoken.
    If youíre woke you dig it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BugI02 View Post
    jamil is awesome

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post
    Sadly, they were. And they were EA-18s.
    Hey. Whatís wrong with a giant dic-pic in the sky on Americaís dime, eh?
    I have spoken.
    If youíre woke you dig it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BugI02 View Post
    jamil is awesome

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamil View Post
    Yeah, but donít you think thatís a bit over-characterizing what he said? Whose time is it that he said was being wasted. I took it as, collectively, heís not representing the people who sent him there. Heís airing personal grievances on their time.
    So if an athlete makes the podium, that's ours, as Americans, collective time to bask in our american glory for having gotten him where he is? For having given him the opportunity to do what he did?
    No, it's a dumb sporting event, we shouldn't care one way or another. But we certainly shouldn't pretend we're somehow owed his respect or that it's taking anything away from us in raising those issues.

Itd be like an athlete pointing up to thank God for making the podium at the Olympics and people complaining this is a secular country and he shouldn't be using 'our collective time' to air personal beliefs.
    Last edited by Jludo; 08-14-2019 at 09:33.

User Info Menu

Itd be like an athlete pointing up to thank God for making the podium at the Olympics and people complaining this is a secular country and he shouldn't be using 'our collective time' to air personal beliefs.
    No, no it wouldn't.

I'll argue the "index finger to God" is a thank-you for providing skills and ability to win. I.e. something directly correlating to the event.
    Another similar thing would be to protest because of a ****ty call (e.g. 2019 Canadian Grand Prix), or an overt problem (e.g. women's vs men's pay). Both of which may not be truly acceptable, but at least understandable within context.

This is a case where the athlete uses the platform to protest something that has absolutely nothing to do with himself* (looks like an upper-middle class ginger), the event (fencing: an elitist sport), or even sports in general.

Plus, it's another situation where we can't seem to set politics on the side.

Furthermore, it's the Pan Am games, meaning there's athletes that have far, far worse problems at home. It's almost a "1st world problems" level of callousness.

It's just plain uncouth. It's not about "collective time", it's about how to act in a professional and respective manner. And that means not using an award ceremony to espouse your political views.

Thank you mother, thank God, or even thank pizza for getting you there, but don't use it as a platform to tell others that the US must conform to your political ideology.

* Maybe he thinks racism applies to him because his first name is "Race". WTF names a kid "Race"?
    Last edited by JettaKnight; 08-14-2019 at 13:23.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post
    No, no it wouldn't.

I'll argue the "index finger to God" is a thank-you for providing skills and ability to win. I.e. something directly correlating to the event.
    Another similar thing would be to protest because of a ****ty call (e.g. 2019 Canadian Grand Prix), or an overt problem (e.g. women's vs men's pay). Both of which may not be truly acceptable, but at least understandable within context.

This is a case where the athlete uses the platform to protest something that has absolutely nothing to do with himself* (looks like an upper-middle class ginger), the event (fencing: an elitist sport), or even sports in general.

Plus, it's another situation where we can't seem to set politics on the side.

Furthermore, it's the Pan Am games, meaning there's athletes that have far, far worse problems at home. It's almost a "1st world problems" level of callousness.

It's just plain uncouth. It's not about "collective time", it's about how to act in a professional and respective manner. And that means not using an award ceremony to espouse your political views.

Thank you mother, thank God, or even thank pizza for getting you there, but don't use it as a platform to tell others that the US must conform to your political ideology.

* Maybe he thinks racism applies to him because his first name is "Race". WTF names a kid "Race"?
    How should an atheist view that display? It's still the airing of one's personal beliefs, done so purposefully, and with the intent to make public spectacle. Ultimately, I don't see the difference.
    I Have the Worst Crew Ever

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kutnupe14 View Post
    How should an atheist view that display? It's still the airing of one's personal beliefs, done so purposefully, and with the intent to make public spectacle. Ultimately, I don't see the difference.
    No differently than anyone would view someone saying, "Thank my lucky stars." I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone that finds something so innocuous as that "offensive". Atheists (some, certainly not all, probably not even most) seem to be easily upset though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kutnupe14 View Post
    It's a person giving credit to whatever helped them succeed in this endeavor (e.g. sport). I would assume that most atheist would infer, "I would like to credit [my belief in] God..."

Again, it's directly related to the competition. It's a big stretch to go from a a solitary thanks-giving to a, "look at me and let me lecture you about politics!" stunt.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast