Just Who Votes For Who In The Trump Era?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have long said that if instead of voting for candidates we took a test on our views and our answers were translated into votes, about 25% each would be Dem and Rep, while the rest would be libertarian. You may not have noticed but there has been a profound shift in politics even though it is not widely discussed AND will take a few years to filter through the congress.

So just who are the voters of the political parties now in the age of Trump?

Republicans

pro-gun
    pro-life
    small business
    financial
    real estate
    religious
    independent minded
    rural

Democrats

big business
    international business
    all education
    major media
    Hollywood
    dependent minded
    pro-abortion
    urban

The big flip is big business and international business as many of them are so big they no longer feel the need for the protections of the US and our constitutional freedoms. Also there are many congressional representatives retiring, I believe it is because the voters are shifting. So called blue dog Democrats are now solidly Republican and wealthy suburbs are flipping Dem.

Any I have wrong?

Any to add?

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Democrats are also playing both sides. Big business supports them, but if you listen to the talking points of candidates like Bernie Sanders they want to bring in more regulation to "protect" people from evil health insurance and pharmaceutical companies. My guess is that the big business lobbies are confident that any meaningful legislation that comes up they can hijack to work in the favor of - big business. Just like how the health insurance companies rigged Obamacare to make a law that everyone has to buy their product even though the benefits are questionable.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Per you comment about changing, many who actually believe in Libertarian (classical Liberal) ideals refuse to admit they are Libertarians. They've always been a D/R (or were a D and flipped to R when they matured)

The day after Obama was first elected I had a chat with one of my office managers who was proud to tell me she was a lifelong Democrat, and at least 3rd generation. She was literally beaming that her entire recent matriarchal lineage all toe the line.

I had her take The Worlds Smallest Political Quiz because I knew she wasnt that crazy. She refused to believe she scored squarely Libertarian. She insisted it was a joke/prank site. (no matter your answers the outcome is always the same) She vowed to go back and change answers around to prove it wasnt right. She just couldnt fathom her entire political life had been a lie. (She was in her mid 40s at the time)

Denial and misconceptions of the party are the biggest factors. First that they have to admit theyve been wrong and need to change labels. Thats hard. Second, getting around the caricature of hard core Libertarians thinking that we are all anarchists that believe in open borders, zero govt, and the concept of ALL taxes are theft... every last penny. Just like the other two parties, the vast majority are pretty rational folks.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Other than paying law/lobby organizations we really can't influence leadership and it's direction other than by voting, something we do about every two years. While I can't speak for others it's been a pretty easy decision for me in recent history, I vote for the pro gun candidate. After that, I don't give it much thought. While I'll have some differences of opinion with whoever the candidate is I vote for, the system limits my choices.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I don't get Democrats being big business. All sub-flavors of democrats seem to push their "profit is evil" ideals to all their followers.

You are correct that Democrats do give lip service to those notions frequently but in practice those big business owners and CEOs that donate significant sums to the Democrats often get exceptions or have loopholes written in for their benefit if and when such policies are put in place. Even without exemptions and exceptions for big business, such policies are normally more detrimental to smaller companies than they are to big ones, so the big business types see it as a way to weaken and harm their competition.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm not sure about the dependent vs independent minded bit, seems to be plenty of depended mindedness on both sides.

Also I'd throw free trade in, something I thought was a Republican cause until recently flipped. Granted I wasn't around for the clinton era in which free trade was more bipartisan?

Overall i dont see an ideological bend to a lot of policy making thse days, it mostly appears to be political point scoring and extravagant promises. I think there are a lot of issues dems and Republicans are willing to jump back and forth on solely to oppose the other side.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    You are correct that Democrats do give lip service to those notions frequently but in practice those big business owners and CEOs that donate significant sums to the Democrats often get exceptions or have loopholes written in for their benefit if and when such policies are put in place. Even without exemptions and exceptions for big business, such policies are normally more detrimental to smaller companies than they are to big ones, so the big business types see it as a way to weaken and harm their competition.

Exactly, big business sees the 'regulating' dems as a sort of useful idiots and big business ends up writing the regulations. Where big business use Republicans when there is something they specifically want access to or where deregulation will help them. Small businesses simply dont have the lobbying power to compete.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Dogs bark, snakes bite liberals lie. They will say anything they can to get elected then do what they really intended no matter what they said or you think.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don't get Democrats being big business. All sub-flavors of democrats seem to push their "profit is evil" ideals to all their followers.

They spout the talking points but love the controls big tech give them and big labor business loves the open borders. And let's face it those companies are not looking for freedom, the big tech wants to be part of the world governance, as indicated by jumping into bed with communist governments. Big labor business just want cheap labor. They both know they can handle the regulations they write better than the small business.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Other than paying law/lobby organizations we really can't influence leadership and it's direction other than by voting, something we do about every two years. While I can't speak for others it's been a pretty easy decision for me in recent history, I vote for the pro gun candidate. After that, I don't give it much thought. While I'll have some differences of opinion with whoever the candidate is I vote for, the system limits my choices.

That is one of our big issues. I'm with you that voting on gun issues is nearly the top of my list, as that's an issue that will actually affect us in our day to day lives.

However if we are going to have a democracy in the modern era maybe we need to vote on issues and not politicians. As it stands now you have to pick your most important issue when voting. It doesnt matter if you disagree with the candidate on every other issue. Your choice becomes, vote for the party and get your issue positions from the party, or balance which issues you're willing to vote against in order to vote for the issues you want more. It's a cluster**** perpetuated by the two party system.

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think big business used to side with Republicans because back in the 80s and 90s they were on the side of deregulation, which helped them make profits. But by the 2010s many industries have consolidated, through mergers, into a small number of mega companies which learned the art of perfecting lobbying. Now, they want regulation because the legislators are too stupid to understand the complexities of these industries and hand off the details of writing the legislation to the lobbyists working on behalf of the companies Congress is trying to regulate. Therefore regulation will now benefit the big business megacompanies like Google because they will be writing any legislation, and can word it in a way that favors them but destroys potential competitors.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    One party would consider a person with half a brain as "handicapped" while the other would consider them "gifted", you decide which...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On a related note, I participated in a phone poll last night. One of the questions was that there is a proposal to make the Mayor a non partisan office. (and maybe the council too) People will just run, but not as A D/R/L/etc.

I was like "Yeah, right. That'll work. NOT"

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    However if we are going to have a democracy in the modern era maybe we need to vote on issues and not politicians. As it stands now you have to pick your most important issue when voting. It doesnt matter if you disagree with the candidate on every other issue. Your choice becomes, vote for the party and get your issue positions from the party, or balance which issues you're willing to vote against in order to vote for the issues you want more. It's a cluster**** perpetuated by the two party system.

And then we have exactly what the framers were trying to prevent with our constitutional republic a democracy, which is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to eat for lunch...

Top Bottom