Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Just Who Votes For Who In The Trump Era?

I have long said that if instead of voting for candidates we took a test on our views and our answers were translated into votes, about 25% each would be Dem and Rep, while the rest would be libertarian. You may not have noticed but there has been a profound shift in politics even though it is not widely discussed AND will take a few years to filter through the congress.

So just who are the voters of the political parties now in the age of Trump?

Republicans

pro-gun
    pro-life
    small business
    financial
    real estate
    religious
    independent minded
    rural

Democrats

big business
    international business
    all education
    major media
    Hollywood
    dependent minded
    pro-abortion
    urban

The big flip is big business and international business as many of them are so big they no longer feel the need for the protections of the US and our constitutional freedoms. Also there are many congressional representatives retiring, I believe it is because the voters are shifting. So called blue dog Democrats are now solidly Republican and wealthy suburbs are flipping Dem.

Any I have wrong?

Any to add?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Democrats are also playing both sides. Big business supports them, but if you listen to the talking points of candidates like Bernie Sanders they want to bring in more regulation to "protect" people from evil health insurance and pharmaceutical companies. My guess is that the big business lobbies are confident that any meaningful legislation that comes up they can hijack to work in the favor of - big business. Just like how the health insurance companies rigged Obamacare to make a law that everyone has to buy their product even though the benefits are questionable.

User Info Menu

Immigration?

Health Care?

Military?

Dems = anti-gun
    When seconds matter the 2nd Amendment matters.

User Info Menu

Per you comment about changing, many who actually believe in Libertarian (classical Liberal) ideals refuse to admit they are Libertarians. They've always been a D/R (or were a D and flipped to R when they matured)

The day after Obama was first elected I had a chat with one of my office managers who was proud to tell me she was a lifelong Democrat, and at least 3rd generation. She was literally beaming that her entire recent matriarchal lineage all toe the line.

I had her take The Worlds Smallest Political Quiz because I knew she wasnt that crazy. She refused to believe she scored squarely Libertarian. She insisted it was a joke/prank site. (no matter your answers the outcome is always the same) She vowed to go back and change answers around to prove it wasnt right. She just couldnt fathom her entire political life had been a lie. (She was in her mid 40s at the time)

Denial and misconceptions of the party are the biggest factors. First that they have to admit theyve been wrong and need to change labels. Thats hard. Second, getting around the caricature of hard core Libertarians thinking that we are all anarchists that believe in open borders, zero govt, and the concept of ALL taxes are theft... every last penny. Just like the other two parties, the vast majority are pretty rational folks.
    Last edited by Cameramonkey; 2 Days Ago at 11:38.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

I don't get Democrats being big business. All sub-flavors of democrats seem to push their "profit is evil" ideals to all their followers.
    Putting firearms' contribution back in our history makes a more complete telling. Teaching marksmanship in that context deepens the understanding. Revere's Riders, because history involved guns!

User Info Menu

Other than paying law/lobby organizations we really can't influence leadership and it's direction other than by voting, something we do about every two years. While I can't speak for others it's been a pretty easy decision for me in recent history, I vote for the pro gun candidate. After that, I don't give it much thought. While I'll have some differences of opinion with whoever the candidate is I vote for, the system limits my choices.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SmileDocHill View Post
    I don't get Democrats being big business. All sub-flavors of democrats seem to push their "profit is evil" ideals to all their followers.
    You are correct that Democrats do give lip service to those notions frequently but in practice those big business owners and CEOs that donate significant sums to the Democrats often get exceptions or have loopholes written in for their benefit if and when such policies are put in place. Even without exemptions and exceptions for big business, such policies are normally more detrimental to smaller companies than they are to big ones, so the big business types see it as a way to weaken and harm their competition.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure about the dependent vs independent minded bit, seems to be plenty of depended mindedness on both sides.

Also I'd throw free trade in, something I thought was a Republican cause until recently flipped. Granted I wasn't around for the clinton era in which free trade was more bipartisan?

Overall i dont see an ideological bend to a lot of policy making thse days, it mostly appears to be political point scoring and extravagant promises. I think there are a lot of issues dems and Republicans are willing to jump back and forth on solely to oppose the other side.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by two70 View Post
    You are correct that Democrats do give lip service to those notions frequently but in practice those big business owners and CEOs that donate significant sums to the Democrats often get exceptions or have loopholes written in for their benefit if and when such policies are put in place. Even without exemptions and exceptions for big business, such policies are normally more detrimental to smaller companies than they are to big ones, so the big business types see it as a way to weaken and harm their competition.
    Exactly, big business sees the 'regulating' dems as a sort of useful idiots and big business ends up writing the regulations. Where big business use Republicans when there is something they specifically want access to or where deregulation will help them. Small businesses simply dont have the lobbying power to compete.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Remember, I did not ask what the parties believe or do, rather who votes for them and I'll add gives them money?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast