Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    There was a place at Tibbs and Washinton street. Indiana state facility and a branch in the north Tibbs area just south of the old Eagledale center. The branch was for the people that could function. They grew crops etc there.
    The main facility was for those that needed to be institutionalized.

I can not remember the sitting Governors name but they defended and closed the place in the mid 70's I am thinking. The north facility before that. Actual dates are not important but yes, the homeless issues went vertical on the graph when this happened.

There was one out by the Liberty Richmond area was well. Long gone.
    Central State... My oldest sister worked there back in the 60's as a music therapist. I still remember her telling me about one of the patients telling her, "I like roaches. They're crunchy!"

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
    Central State... My oldest sister worked there back in the 60's as a music therapist. I still remember her telling me about one of the patients telling her, "I like roaches. They're crunchy!"
    Believe her.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

When I was in LE, I had the opportunity to tour Central State. I was amazed at the number of residents/patients just wandering the grounds, relatively unsupervised. Seemed like they were pretty much warehousing the patients.

Scandals involving patient mistreatment coupled with the desire to save money caused the state to close the facility in 1994, causing the residents to be moved to other facilities, placed in community-based settings (e.g. a group home), or to outpatient treatment.

And, as noted upthread, outpatient treatment doesn't always work. One of the characteristics of many mental illnesses is a lack of insight into their own illness, leading to resistance to treatment.

Snowman's Blocker aka Bandit mcapo's Avatar

User Info Menu

As one that has seen the ravages of psychosomatic drugs and outpatient treatment first hand on two occasions resulting in a suicide and a murder suicide - I can unequivocally state that our current treatment of mental health is insufficient.
    Don't blame me....it is Turbo's fault.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    Believe her.
    I still remember going with Dad to pick her up when she got off work at night. At the time we had a 1960 (?) Plymouth Belvedere with the push button transmission on the steering wheel. Dad would let me sit on his lap and "drive" it around the parking lot while we were waiting.

User Info Menu

My FIL, a raving liberal, blames all this on something Ronald Reagan did. I donít know enough about the situation to argue intelligibly.

User Info Menu

Just read this on the topic:

1907 Indiana is the first of more than 30 states to enact a compulsory sterilization law, allowing the state to ďprevent procreation of confirmed criminals, idiots, imbeciles and rapists.Ē By 1940, 18,552 mentally ill people are surgically sterilized.

User Info Menu

My ex wife did her Masters thesis on late 1800's to early 1900s mental institutions and as part of that research we visited Central State and also referenced many micro fiche patient records. It was a horrific system and abuse was rampant and that is the main problem with it even if brought back today. Yeah we do need something like that again but the oversight will have to be stellar. It won't be because the whole process will be 'privatized' and self policed.
    Justin B. - "Make them watch Wonder Woman. They'll molon labe after that!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierLife View Post
    My FIL, a raving liberal, blames all this on something Ronald Reagan did. I donít know enough about the situation to argue intelligibly.
    Kinda yes and no. Reagan gutted a law Carter had signed which extended funding to community mental institutions. Heís credited with letting loose all the inmates, but thatís not really what happened. Deinstitutionalization started before that. I guess he got blamed for not going along with Carterís attempt to reverse deinstitutionalization.

In indiana Mitch Daniels is credited with closing the remaining institutions. We had a neighbor who worked for the one in Fort Wayne as a therapist. It got closed and she lost her job.

Iím not sure institutionalization is the answer to the current problem though. At least not going back to the way it was. Mental institutions were pretty inhumane back then, at least many of them.
    -spreading the word to end the r-word is retarded
    -activism is retarded because, what if youíre full of ****?

User Info Menu

Homeless camps IMO are pretty inhumane !

Not to mention the insane people who are now homeless or in regular prison who have potential to be productive citizens if given a proper treatment regime.
    U.S. Army retired

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast