• ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I started reading about Deinstitutionalisation several weeks ago. I was curious as to why all the mental hospitals went away, and started searching a little. If you aren't familiar with the term, I encourage everyone to explore it. It is the root cause of a lot of our current issues, in my opinion.

Most of the mass shooters have a history of mental illness. We have a homeless epidemic, where people just give up on society, and decide to live under a bridge. In reality, I think we have a mental health epidemic, and the left is gonna use it to take away our guns, unless we address the real issue. Deinstitutionalisation.

President Trump referenced the lack of mental hospitals yesterday in his presser, and that we need to be creating new ones. Ben Shapiro touches on the issue in the thread that Bill of Rights started. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n/471646-oh-my-god-what-did-i-just-watch.html

The mentally ill, walk among us today, because better drugs will allow them to function normally, if they take them. The problem seems to be that they don't take their meds, because they don't think they need them, because they are after all,
    mentally ill.

I think we need to institutionalize the mentally ill.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I started reading about Deinstitutionalisationseveral weeks ago. I was curious as to why all the mental hospitals went away, and started searching a little. If you aren't familiar with the term, I encourage everyone to explore it. It is the root cause of a lot of our current issues, in my opinion.

Most of the mass shooters have a history of mental illness. We have a homeless epidemic, where people just give up on society, and decide to live under a bridge. In reality, I think we have a mental health epidemic, and the left is gonna use it to take away our guns, unless we address the real issue. Deinstitutionalisation.

President Trump referenced the lack of mental hospitals yesterday in his presser, and that we need to be creating new ones. Ben Shapiro touches on the issue in the thread that Bill of Rights started. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n/471646-oh-my-god-what-did-i-just-watch.html

The mentally ill, walk among us today, because better drugs will allow them to function normally, if they take them. The problem seems to be that they don't take their meds, because they don't think they need them, because they are after all,
    mentally ill.

I think we need to institutionalize the mentally ill.

Or at least monitor them more closely.

Bipolars especially. We are so good at thoroughly managing that disorder that they decide one day that they are cured and no longer need their meds so they stop taking them.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Or at least monitor them more closely.

Bipolars especially. We are so good at thoroughly managing that disorder that they decide one day that they are cured and no longer need their meds so they stop taking them.

Agreed. I didn't state that very well. I don't think everyone with a mental illness needs to be institutionalized.
    In the Shapiro video, he stated there were 1/2 a million people in mental hospitals in 1960, and we had a population of 180 million. Today, with nearly 330 million people, we have around 24,000.

They walk among us, they are buying guns, legally, and they are doing a lot of bad things.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Agreed. I didn't state that very well. I don't think everyone with a metal illness needs to be institutionalized.
    In the Shapiro video, he stated there were 1/2 a million people in mental hospitals in 1960, and we had a population of 180 million. Today, with nearly 330 million people, we have around 24,000.

They walk among us, they are buying guns, legally, and they are doing a lot of bad things.
    You're right. There isnt enough room for every single Democrat. :):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There was a place at Tibbs and Washinton street. Indiana state facility and a branch in the north Tibbs area just south of the old Eagledale center. The branch was for the people that could function. They grew crops etc there.
    The main facility was for those that needed to be institutionalized.

I can not remember the sitting Governors name but they defended and closed the place in the mid 70's I am thinking. The north facility before that. Actual dates are not important but yes, the homeless issues went vertical on the graph when this happened.

There was one out by the Liberty Richmond area was well. Long gone.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Agreed. I didn't state that very well. I don't think everyone with a mental illness needs to be institutionalized.

Well, short of being labeled I am leaning towards "This is by design"

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    We also need to talk about these anti depressants that Big Pharma is pumping out. Just about every mass shooter has been linked to taking a Psychotropic or SSRI anti depressant. Watch the commercials for these drugs. What are some of the side effects. 1) Deep Depression and 2) homicidal/suicidal thoughts or actions.

Just seems a drug labeled as an anti- depressant and causes even deeper depression or suicidal thoughts is counterproductive. Just my :twocents:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I guess if your not 50+ You probably don’t even know institutionalization was a thing? One of main reasons that the institutions were done away was you guessed it government mismanagement of healthcare. The average institution became a understaffed and funding was a issue with care of patients suffering. The Medicare bill did not provide coverage for inpatient mental health care.

BTW
    Geraldo exposed mistreatment at a institution that helped end the entire system!
    https://timeline.com/willowbrook-th...-a-nation-into-changing-its-laws-c847acb44e0d

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I guess if your not 50+ You probably don’t even know institutionalization was a thing? One of main reasons that the institutions were done away was you guessed it government mismanagement of healthcare. The average institution became a understaffed and funding was a issue with care of patients suffering. The Medicare bill did not provide coverage for inpatient mental health care.

BTW
    Geraldo exposed mistreatment at a institution that helped end the entire system!
    https://timeline.com/willowbrook-th...-a-nation-into-changing-its-laws-c847acb44e0d

Well thats another plus for him. Little douche bag.
    Like the care our veterans are receiving, fix it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Ask yourself the question, who made a big block of cash by "de institutionalization"? The power of that law/lobby group will tell you if the current situation will every change. It won't, ever.

Always follow the money

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There was a place at Tibbs and Washinton street. Indiana state facility and a branch in the north Tibbs area just south of the old Eagledale center. The branch was for the people that could function. They grew crops etc there.
    The main facility was for those that needed to be institutionalized.

I can not remember the sitting Governors name but they defended and closed the place in the mid 70's I am thinking. The north facility before that. Actual dates are not important but yes, the homeless issues went vertical on the graph when this happened.

There was one out by the Liberty Richmond area was well. Long gone.
    Central State... My oldest sister worked there back in the 60's as a music therapist. I still remember her telling me about one of the patients telling her, "I like roaches. They're crunchy!" :puke:

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    When I was in LE, I had the opportunity to tour Central State. I was amazed at the number of residents/patients just wandering the grounds, relatively unsupervised. Seemed like they were pretty much warehousing the patients.

Scandals involving patient mistreatment coupled with the desire to save money caused the state to close the facility in 1994, causing the residents to be moved to other facilities, placed in community-based settings (e.g. a group home), or to outpatient treatment.

And, as noted upthread, outpatient treatment doesn't always work. One of the characteristics of many mental illnesses is a lack of insight into their own illness, leading to resistance to treatment.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    As one that has seen the ravages of psychosomatic drugs and outpatient treatment first hand on two occasions resulting in a suicide and a murder suicide - I can unequivocally state that our current treatment of mental health is insufficient.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Believe her.

I still remember going with Dad to pick her up when she got off work at night. At the time we had a 1960 (?) Plymouth Belvedere with the push button transmission on the steering wheel. Dad would let me sit on his lap and "drive" it around the parking lot while we were waiting. :)

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    My FIL, a raving liberal, blames all this on something Ronald Reagan did. I don’t know enough about the situation to argue intelligibly.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    My ex wife did her Masters thesis on late 1800's to early 1900s mental institutions and as part of that research we visited Central State and also referenced many micro fiche patient records. It was a horrific system and abuse was rampant and that is the main problem with it even if brought back today. Yeah we do need something like that again but the oversight will have to be stellar. It won't be because the whole process will be 'privatized' and self policed.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My FIL, a raving liberal, blames all this on something Ronald Reagan did. I don’t know enough about the situation to argue intelligibly.

Kinda yes and no. Reagan gutted a law Carter had signed which extended funding to community mental institutions. He’s credited with letting loose all the inmates, but that’s not really what happened. Deinstitutionalization started before that. I guess he got blamed for not going along with Carter’s attempt to reverse deinstitutionalization.

In indiana Mitch Daniels is credited with closing the remaining institutions. We had a neighbor who worked for the one in Fort Wayne as a therapist. It got closed and she lost her job.

I’m not sure institutionalization is the answer to the current problem though. At least not going back to the way it was. Mental institutions were pretty inhumane back then, at least many of them.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Homeless camps IMO are pretty inhumane !

Not to mention the insane people who are now homeless or in regular prison who have potential to be productive citizens if given a proper treatment regime.

Top Bottom