Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Feds order ... Hand over names of gun scope app users

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasb...gun-scope-app/

The article's title is very long to be used as a title here so I tried to get to the point of it so people could see whether they want to read the post or not.

User Info Menu

Oof. Glad it isn't Strelok (even though he's in Eastern Europe, Apple and Google aren't).

The issues with the technology import/export laws go back at least as far as PGP encryption.
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

User Info Menu

And do what? Demand they return them to the US or turn themselves in to the US? I call . Today we can identify scope owners. Tomorrow we'll identify gun owners. Next week we'll ban AR15's. Baby steps. Don't make it bleed.
    I'm gonna, riiiide 'till I can't no more.

User Info Menu

Well, to play devil's advocate (I know, try to hide your surprise) there's a slim legitimate law enforcement need: to the extent they can identify users who have the technology in prohibited countries, they'll be able to follow that lead (maybe) to an actual criminal.

Presumably, they have probable cause to believe this specific app is being used in a prohibited country in conjunction with specific technology that is prohibited from export to that country.

Presumably.
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

It never ceases to amaze me that folks willingly give up personal information on the web and have any expectation that information will remain private?
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and I’m on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

But 1000's of others get caught in the net. Roll out a new app with GPS activation.

User Info Menu

I understand the need. I also understand the precedent it sets. The need already left the country. The precedent is forever.

Ark

User Info Menu

The sheer concept of prosecuting someone for "exporting a rifle scope" is ridiculous.

User Info Menu

Does anyone know where the court order can be read, or if it even can be?

KLB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post
    Well, to play devil's advocate (I know, try to hide your surprise) there's a slim legitimate law enforcement need: to the extent they can identify users who have the technology in prohibited countries, they'll be able to follow that lead (maybe) to an actual criminal.

Presumably, they have probable cause to believe this specific app is being used in a prohibited country in conjunction with specific technology that is prohibited from export to that country.

Presumably.
    That should not enable them to ask for detailed information on every user everywhere. Find the bad guys, then get the information about them specifically.
    They shouldn't just drop a hellfire missile on your café experience...Rand Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast