• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Oof. Glad it isn't Strelok (even though he's in Eastern Europe, Apple and Google aren't).

The issues with the technology import/export laws go back at least as far as PGP encryption.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    And do what? Demand they return them to the US or turn themselves in to the US? I call :bs:. Today we can identify scope owners. Tomorrow we'll identify gun owners. Next week we'll ban AR15's. Baby steps. Don't make it bleed.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, to play devil's advocate (I know, try to hide your surprise) ;) there's a slim legitimate law enforcement need: to the extent they can identify users who have the technology in prohibited countries, they'll be able to follow that lead (maybe) to an actual criminal.

Presumably, they have probable cause to believe this specific app is being used in a prohibited country in conjunction with specific technology that is prohibited from export to that country.

Presumably.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    It never ceases to amaze me that folks willingly give up personal information on the web and have any expectation that information will remain private?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I understand the need. I also understand the precedent it sets. The need already left the country. The precedent is forever.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The sheer concept of prosecuting someone for "exporting a rifle scope" is ridiculous.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Well, to play devil's advocate (I know, try to hide your surprise) ;) there's a slim legitimate law enforcement need: to the extent they can identify users who have the technology in prohibited countries, they'll be able to follow that lead (maybe) to an actual criminal.

Presumably, they have probable cause to believe this specific app is being used in a prohibited country in conjunction with specific technology that is prohibited from export to that country.

Presumably.
    That should not enable them to ask for detailed information on every user everywhere. Find the bad guys, then get the information about them specifically.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The sheer concept of prosecuting someone for "exporting a rifle scope" is ridiculous.

https://www.trackingterrorism.org/a...ports-about-talibans-iea-night-vision-capab-2

Taliban predominantly use commercially available rifle-mounted night and thermal vision scopes that are first and foremost intended for hunting, in particular versions of PULSAR and ATN ThOR-HD scopes.[1]None of these scopes are intended for military use. Of note: There is some footage of Taliban using night vision googles – i.e. binoculars that are worn on the head. However, the use of such goggles by the Taliban seems to be very limited, when compared to rifle-mounted scopes on which multiple times more evidence is available. Therefore, this report focuses solely on the much more relevant use of rifle-mounted night vision scopes by the Taliban.

This is in line with the mentioned propaganda video (see Reports About Taliban Night Vision Capabilities Chapter), that was seemingly recorded with PULSAR and ATN scopes.[2]For the sake of transparency: ATN deemed a shorter previously leaked clip from said video an “elaborate fake,” but acknowledged that they cannot be certain. In view of photographs showing Taliban with ATN scopes and that at least some doubts about the leaked clip brought forward by ATN might be explained by the Taliban’s editing having changed brightness and/or other settings, it seems more likely that the footage is real.[3]

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Had a feeling it was something like that, though my first guess would have been the Cartel. I'm curious how it will play out.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'm looking at buying the Thor thermo scope. I have been looking for a while. There's a disclaimer not to export to stay in compliance with a few alphabet groups, but it's voluntary compliance on the part of the buyer. Basically it's if buyer is going to disclose he intends to export, seller needs to obtain an export permit or refuse the sale. Compliance is in the buyer's court, and buyer should act responsibly.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The tag line is bordering on fake news:
    Own a rifle? Got a scope to go with it? The U.S. government might soon know who you are, where you live and how to reach you.

I own both, but have no clue what "Obsidian 4" is, but I'm sure it doesn't involve me or 99% of gun scope owners.

It's not until the sixth paragraph that they mention ITAR, which now makes perfect sense to me (I used to have to watch those boring ITAR training films)

Not agreeing with the feds, but also not totally panicking.

Top Bottom