Uranus
    Former Gov. Mark Sanford

giphy.gif

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, Trump supporters may appreciate that he got caught in 1 extramarital affair. He also lost to a Trump-supported primary opponent in 2018, who then lost to a Democrat.

He supports national reciprocity (or did at one time). But, would require a NICS check for private sales, but could be done by the private individual or something like that.

Generally conservative, sorta.

I dunno. Like so many candidates these days, dude's a mixed bag.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I’m not sure what these guys hope to accomplish. There is no way they will win the nomination, right around a zero percent chance. I wish we had a better choice, but we don’t. When was the last time a sitting president lost in the primaries?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    To me it is either vote for Trump or "split you, me, Caleb and the horses from crotch to eyeball with a dull deer antler..."

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Yep, for 2020 at least, it is Trump or a way left Democrat. Those are the only realistic choices. So, I still have to wonder, what do these guys hope to accomplish?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    The Presidency, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Trump 2020.

Yeah... but it is broken. He's not a conservative, and he's shown himself to be not a friend of gun owners.

Yep, for 2020 at least, it is Trump or a way left Democrat. Those are the only realistic choices. So, I still have to wonder, what do these guys hope to accomplish?

Introducing a third choice? When both available options are bad, I will gladly take an expansion of my choices. And reelecting Trump is a bad option.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Yeah... but it is broken. He's not a conservative, and he's shown himself to be not a friend of gun owners.

Introducing a third choice? When both available options are bad, I will gladly take an expansion of my choices. And reelecting Trump is a bad option.
    A noble notion. The only problem is that a third choice will not be elected no matter how good it would make you feel to vote for them.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    In term of electability, Trump's election itself was an exercise in splitting both parties, to everyone's surprise (including Trump).

The delineation between Democrat and Republican middle ground is blurred right now. A moderate - from either party - could find himself (or herself) electable.

I'm not thrilled with Sanford, and I'm not sure I'll even be willing or able to vote for him (its unclear if he can put together the national campaign infrastructure to even get on enough ballots). But, perhaps, his opening of the door could allow someone better to follow into the room.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    You probably have a better chance of getting my vote than anyone actually running at this point. ;)

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Unfortunately, Mr Sanford strikes me as unstable. Having an affair is one thing, but his was completely off the rails. He fled the country and aides were covering for him, claiming he was hiking the Appalachian Trail or something. He turned up six days later in Argentina:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Sanford_extramarital_affair

Also, South Carolina is one of the few southern states that does not have LTCH reciprocity with Indiana; I know that is not dispositive or the end all, be all, but I also think it is telling about his attitude toward 2A issues.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    There is definitely a "better the devil you know..." element to his candidacy that mitigates toward the current status quo.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Unfortunately, Mr Sanford strikes me as unstable. Having an affair is one thing, but his was completely off the rails. He fled the country and aides were covering for him, claiming he was hiking the Appalachian Trail or something. He turned up six days later in Argentina:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Sanford_extramarital_affair

Also, South Carolina is one of the few southern states that does not have LTCH reciprocity with Indiana; I know that is not dispositive or the end all, be all, but I also think it is telling about his attitude toward 2A issues.

This would disqualify him in my opinion.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The unstable part, vanishing behind a phony story and then getting caught out of the country with a mistress. Infidelity in leadership is so common it doesn't register on the radar any more, but an elaborate hoax like this one is spooky.

Top Bottom