Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 22 of 76 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 72 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Maybe Joe has more in common with Mayor Pete than we thought.

The wild dogs cry out in the night as they grow restless, longing for some solitary company.

User Info Menu

Stolen off of Twitter from Kirk ....

Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    Thread killing historian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ingomike View Post
    That entire post has nothing to do with medical providers giving clear disclosure of their charges before treatment. If you have ever had a elective procedure like LASIK, they know to the penny what it costs. It is 3rd party pay that unbalances the system.
    That is exactly what I am saying.
    Nobody knows EXACTLY what LASIK costs because of variables in followup care but that is beside the point. Lets say on average it costs $808.75 per eye. Lets pretend medicare covers LASIK (I didn't pick the example) and they pay $350. If the provider accepts medicare assignment they do the LASIK for what medicare pays. That means they have to charge other patients more to make up for the loss. Now a patient with insurance "A" comes in and the provider can get $900 per eye from that insurance by prior agreement. They do the LASIK and have made up part of the difference. Now another patient comes in with insurance "B" and the provider can get $1100 per eye from that insurance by prior agreement. The provider has made up another part of the medicare loss.
    The COST is pretty well fixed - the PRICE varies - a lot.
    The PRICE won't be fixed under the current system of medicare and insurance agreements. In an open market without medicare and without prior insurance agreements it would be much easier to set a price and let people know what that price is.

LASIK is a bad example in this case because medicare doesn't cover it unless certain specific conditions are met. It is pretty easy to replace LASIK with another procedure that medicare covers and the above would apply better. It is much easier to get up front pricing for LASIK than most procedures simply because medicare complications don't usually apply.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BugI02 View Post
    I find your faith that providers would charge reasonable prices in an open system ... likely misplaced. Perhaps it's the circles I travel in, but I know few doctors who don't ring up well north of $200K and who don't want to live in pricey digs in nice neighborhoods
    Not sure where you picked that up. I never said health care providers would charge reasonable prices in an open system. I personally have little or no faith in that.
    An open market would allow competition though and maybe, just maybe, some would charge reasonable prices, who knows. That would be up to pressures from the market.
    Also reasonable would be in the eye of the beholder.

User Info Menu

You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    Thread killing historian.

Expert

User Info Menu

What the Dems are really after, since everything else they touch turns to gold:

Single Payer.jpg

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

He restoreth my soul. He giveth me kung fu in the face of my enemies.

Page 22 of 76 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 72 ... LastLast