Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    at-logo.gif

Return to the Article

August 06, 2009

By Robin of Berkeley

I get asked by readers all the time: how can you go from left to right at such a rapid fire pace? Were you a conservative all along? Are you just yanking our chain; you're really still a liberal in conservative clothing?

Great question. This is a topic I ponder daily.

Now that I look back, I had the seeds of both a conservative and a liberal in me all along. On the liberal side: I was raised a secular Jew, and, for some God forsaken reason, most of us are Democrats. My upbringing lacked meaning and substance, which propelled my devotion to social causes. Of course, arriving in Berkeley in my 20's only hardened my liberal propensity.

I became a therapist, made friends with therapists, and spent tons of money having shrinks dissect my psyche. So my life was focused on problems, complaints, and kvetches. As Milton said, our minds can make a hell of heaven or a heaven of hell. My preoccupation with the darkness put me in a liberal state of mind.

But the conservative was alive and well in me too: My grandparents came from Russia with only the shirts on their backs. Yet they never complained about the hardships or expected any government help. My parents, in their own wacky way, were devoted, dutiful, and fiercely patriotic.

I was also victimized early on by do-gooder liberal politics (though I didn't put two and two together until last year). I attended public schools with forced busing that ignited tremendous animosity and racial violence. As an adult, I've been harassed and molested innumerable times on urban streets both east coast and west, and was mugged several years ago in broad daylight.

Unlike most liberals, I never blamed myself or the dominant culture. I placed culpability directly on the thugs and on those in authority who remained silent. Whenever my friends excused immoral behavior, I would get seriously ticked off.

Lastly, my personality has always had elements both left and right. Now that I think about it, it's been dizzying living in my brain. I'm a straight shooter and detest phoniness (conservative), though I wanted to be liked (liberal). I've never been a group think person and don't like to be controlled (right), but at the same time, I wanted to fit in (left).

And it is impossible to hypnotize me. I took a hypnotherapy class once and the teacher put everyone in a trance, except for me. I asked the teacher about it afterwards. He said that there is a very small minority of people who cannot be hypnotized. (I now wonder whether most of them are conservatives!)

As I got into my 40's, my conservative, logical side started making more frequent appearances. I had some epiphanies: That, even with all my best efforts, the world was pretty much the same as when I entered it -- filled with both good and evil, dark and light. I had to admit, to my disappointment, that utopia wasn't around the corner, and that fate was in the hands of a Higher Power, not humans. I realized that life wasn't supposed to be easy, and that we shape our character through the hard stuff.

I viewed my parents differently, as struggling humans who did the best they could. I let go of my resentment toward them and literally threw out all my old journals that were filled with complaints. Feeling grateful, I wrote them each a letter of appreciation thanking them for the many gifts they bestowed on me.

But it was four years ago, when the bottom fell out of my life, that I transformed into a different person. First, my father died, the next day I was diagnosed with a life threatening blood condition, and three weeks later my mother died.

I recall sitting at my desk, so dazed and stunned that I could barely move. I heard this voice inside my head: Robin, you only have two choices: to hold on tighter to your illusions, or to let this experience shatter you and take you where you've never gone before. I chose the latter, an experience that felt inspired by the Divine.

Suddenly, I grew up. I remember a session with a long term client after I returned from leave. She knew about my parents, and wondered aloud how she might feel when her parents died. She inquired, "Even though I'm a mom, I still feel like a little kid. Do you?"

I answered instantly, "Not any longer."

I woke up from a very long and deep sleep, like Robin Van Winkle. The traits of my arrested development, such as codependency, started melting away like snow in June. I started respecting myself more and requiring others do the same. I ditched friends who needed me as a teat or who treated me unkindly. I guess I was starting to embody conservatism without even knowing it.

My work with clients changed. I stopped reinforcing their stale, rigid stories. Rather than dredge up the past, we talked about how to live now, how to harness inner resources like courage, perseverance, and faith. I hoped to offer them the guidance and wisdom that I lacked in my younger years.

And then two years later, Obama came on the scene. He felt creepy; and I saw before my eyes that the sick, evil fringe of the far left had invaded the Democratic Party. As though I'd been slapped across the face, I snapped out of my trance. The last vestiges of my liberalism flew the coop, and the rest, as they say, is history.

One more question this week:
    Dear Robin:

Robin appearing on the Savage Nation? You show your true colors -- pure emotion and no substance like Michael Savage.

E

Hey E,

Never in my wildest imagination would I have thought that my name and Savage's would be included in the same sentence. It took me awhile to get used to Savage's style but now I appreciate his moxie. I've grown tired of living in an air brushed, sanitized world. With Savage, what you see is what you get.

Plus, Savage would fit right in to my family. My kin didn't talk; they screamed. What might look to the casual observer like an episode of Family Feud, was actually a friendly chat. My parents would never say, "Robin, I'm concerned about what you're doing." They'd bellow, "What, are you crazy? You want to ruin your life and make your parents miserable?" I never liked it as a kid. But as I got older, I realized that they always had my back, they had my best interests in mind, and they yelled at me because they cared. Sort of like Savage.

A frequent AT contributor, Robin is a recovering liberal and psychotherapist in Berkeley.

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    I never liked it as a kid. But as I got older, I realized that they always had my back, they had my best interests in mind, and they yelled at me because they cared. Sort of like Savage.

Truer words never spoken. The same in political thinking, think like a child, then come to understanding.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I'm a straight shooter and detest phoniness (conservative), though I wanted to be liked (liberal). I've never been a group think person and don't like to be controlled (right), but at the same time, I wanted to fit in (left).
    Maybe I'm just too skeptical, but from this statement I deduce the author hasn't completely let go of his fantasy world; only changed the illusions. I see plenty of spin and group think coming from the right, and many on the left who don't (or, at least profess to not) care about being liked as long as they believe their pet projects will benefit people. I'm not talking about politicians, I'm talking about man-on-the-street regular Joes.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Maybe I'm just too skeptical, but from this statement I deduce the author hasn't completely let go of his fantasy world; only changed the illusions. I see plenty of spin and group think coming from the right, and many on the left who don't (or, at least profess to not) care about being liked as long as they believe their pet projects will benefit people. I'm not talking about politicians, I'm talking about man-on-the-street regular Joes.

Yep. It's an article of faith among many conservatives that all liberals are Birkenstock-wearing, granola-munching, tree-hugging, whale-saving, SUV-dealership-burning, gun-grabbing, terrorist-appeasing, abortion-having communists. Just like the left sees the right as money-grubbing, big-business-supporting, union-busting, profit-lusting, cigar-smoking, suit-wearing, gun-toting, military-industrial-complex-loving, misogynistic, child-beating Jesus freaks.

Caricatures have an element of truth, but far too many use them as a proxy for it.

ron

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    There might be hope for ron after all. :patriot:

Hey now...

"And then two years later, Obama came on the scene. He felt creepy; and I saw before my eyes that the sick, evil fringe of the far left had invaded the Democratic Party. As though I'd been slapped across the face, I snapped out of my trance. The last vestiges of my liberalism flew the coop, and the rest, as they say, is history."

You can't just judge someone because they look creepy, I mean how subjective is that? Look I strongly disliked Bush, but I thought he was probably a nice guy in real life. I dislike Cheney as well and I don't think he's an attractive guy, but I don't think that should hold any weight in a discussion. I would much rather talk about what their political philosophies or what they've done while they were in office. Talking about appearances or disturbances in the Force is just malarkey. Unless you're a Jedi.

Only children should think about good and evil on such a superficial basis.

And let me get this straight,

"I recall sitting at my desk, so dazed and stunned that I could barely move. I heard this voice inside my head: Robin, you only have two choices: to hold on tighter to your illusions, or to let this experience shatter you and take you where you've never gone before. I chose the latter, an experience that felt inspired by the Divine."

Am I reading that correctly? I am under the assumption that one day a voice in her head (that does not belong to her) spoke to her and changed her mind. If we're allowing deities talking inside of our heads to justify our decisions, let me whip up an article about Son of Sam was commanded to kill by a demon possessing his neighbor's dog.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Hey now...

"And then two years later, Obama came on the scene. He felt creepy; and I saw before my eyes that the sick, evil fringe of the far left had invaded the Democratic Party. As though I'd been slapped across the face, I snapped out of my trance. The last vestiges of my liberalism flew the coop, and the rest, as they say, is history."

You can't just judge someone because they look creepy, I mean how subjective is that? Look I strongly disliked Bush, but I thought he was probably a nice guy in real life. I dislike Cheney as well and I don't think he's an attractive guy, but I don't think that should hold any weight in a discussion. I would much rather talk about what their political philosophies or what they've done while they were in office. Talking about appearances or disturbances in the Force is just malarkey. Unless you're a Jedi.

And let me get this straight,

"I recall sitting at my desk, so dazed and stunned that I could barely move. I heard this voice inside my head: Robin, you only have two choices: to hold on tighter to your illusions, or to let this experience shatter you and take you where you've never gone before. I chose the latter, an experience that felt inspired by the Divine."

Am I reading that correctly? I am under the assumption that one day a voice in her head (that does not belong to her) spoke to her and changed her mind. If we're allowing deities talking inside of our heads to justify our decisions, let me whip up an article about Son of Sam was commanded to kill by a demon possessing his neighbor's dog.

Two good points to address:

One) No one said Obama "looked" creepy. She (?) said he "felt" creepy, which admittedly is similarly subjective. Still, there is nothing wrong with subjectivity, so long as you make your decisions based on objective, factual criteria, which she did. I read her words to say that Obama felt creepy to her, and as a result, she looked and saw that he embodied the extremism now present in the so-called Democratic Party. It has nothing to do with his charisma, physical attractiveness or lack thereof, but rather the ideas he embraces.

Two) She did not say that God spoke to her, she said she heard a voice in her head. Example: "...so I said to myself, 'Self; this guy Obama is bad news!', and I decided to do whatever I could to keep him out of office..."
    Any time we get information, we have three choices what to do with it; we can reject what we knew before that is in conflict with the new information, we can reject the new that is in conflict with what we already know, or we can integrate the two together, if possible. Just slowing down your thoughts to think them in actual words is not the same thing as hearing God's voice in one's head.

You're correct that the Hollywood stereotype of Good being attractive and Evil being ugly is puerile and shallow.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

I think she said Obama "felt creepy" not "looked creepy."

We all know how beautiful Barack is as he serenades us with his speeches.

obama420.jpg

Top Bottom