• ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Looks like the Democrats really mopped up in Marion County (including Hogsett getting re-elected by a huge margin) and made inroads in the donut counties including Zionsville getting a democrat mayor. It looks like Kentucky is getting a democrat governor too...

Anyone got any good news?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Nope. Looks like stinky shoes having waited to do all the infrastructure work until election time really paid dividends. Now he will be back to business as usual.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, the Republican city councilor I voted for won (Annee), and a buddy of mine that I've known since grade school (also Republican) won his city council race (Mike Dilk). Other than that... I got nothin'...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Probably doesn't help that I had no idea who was running against Hogsett. Doesn't sound like they campaigned all that hard.

Jim Merritt... but I don't think he had the war chest that Hoggsett had, so he really didn't start campaigning regularly until the last couple of weeks, and even then not as regularly as Hoggsett. I was seeing Hoggsett's ads pretty much on every commercial break, but Merritt's maybe every 5th or 6th, if that.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Super low turnout in Fishers. Mayor, City Clerk and Judge all running unopposed at the top of the ticket.

There was a competitive race for the open City Council seat representing my area. The Republican won by about 150 votes, but there were only about 1,100 cast for that race.

Mayor Fadness got fewer than 7,000 total votes in a city of approximately 90k people. Granted he was unopposed so most people didn't bother, but it was disappointing to see there were only two other people casting ballots when I stopped in after work.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Henry (D) voted in again as mayor in Fort Wayne. He is very popular, even among Republicans. I have to give him credit on bringing downtown back to where people actually like to visit. My main issue with him is he seems to spend every dollar he can get his hands on, same can be said for both parties.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    And all the seats in the both chambers were up for re-election, so they flipped 8 seats out of 140 and in an off year election with nothing really driving turnout like having Trump on the ballot will

To paraphrase Franklin "Democratic control, if you can keep it"

Edit: In the lower house, there were 7 Republicans not running for re-election. The Democrats only one 1 of those 7 elections with no incumbent

In the senate, there were 3 Republicans not running for re-election and the Democrats could only win one of those

The election was required to use new court mandated districts, so some upheaval was to be expected

Last edited:

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Super low turnout in Fishers. Mayor, City Clerk and Judge all running unopposed at the top of the ticket.

There was a competitive race for the open City Council seat representing my area. The Republican won by about 150 votes, but there were only about 1,100 cast for that race.

Mayor Fadness got fewer than 7,000 total votes in a city of approximately 90k people. Granted he was unopposed so most people didn't bother, but it was disappointing to see there were only two other people casting ballots when I stopped in after work.

Under the guise of "local elections will be lost in Presidential and congressional year elections" they waste the money and effort to keep these local elections where a small group can control them. They do not want the unpredictable nature of national elections getting groups to the polls that they don't expect...

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Democrats now hold both houses in Virginia.

This bothered me, but with the money Bloomberg and others have thrown at Virginia it wasn't surprising.

I do feel sorry for the residents of that state however; for practical purposes there 2nd Amendment Right is now all but extinguished.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Looks like the Democrats really mopped up in Marion County (including Hogsett getting re-elected by a huge margin) and made inroads in the donut counties including Zionsville getting a democrat mayor. It looks like Kentucky is getting a democrat governor too...

Anyone got any good news?

I would put the Zionsville win down to a vote against, more than a vote for. Styron appears to be a manager more than someone tied to Democrat ideology. I had a short email exchange with her, and she was simply ignorant of the issues which frequently drive discussions here.

Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if she was a Dino. Since the current mayor was unopposed in the primary.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    This bothered me, but with the money Bloomberg and others have thrown at Virginia it wasn't surprising.

I do feel sorry for the residents of that state however; for practical purposes there 2nd Amendment Right is now all but extinguished.

Going the way of illinois, dc controls more and more.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    21 to 19 Republican 1 seat majority in senate flips to 19-21 Democratic 1 seat majority :rolleyes:

51 - 49 Republican majority in house flips to 45-55 Dem majority

something something blue wave something

Governor and both house are blue. Its been 20 years since its been that way.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Governor and both house are blue. Its been 20 years since its been that way.

Let's see what they do with it.

Oh wait...

With the Democrats now in full control of Virginia government, they are finally in a position to push forward several pieces of progressive legislation that’s been held up for years by Republicans. In addition to tougher gun regulations, Democrats hope to enact workplace and housing protections for LGBTQ residents, and a higher minimum wage.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Henry (D) voted in again as mayor in Fort Wayne. He is very popular, even among Republicans. I have to give him credit on bringing downtown back to where people actually like to visit. My main issue with him is he seems to spend every dollar he can get his hands on, same can be said for both parties.

I must have gotten at least a dozen mailers from Tim Smith, and been forced to watch a plethora of TV and Internet ads.

That's a good enough reason to vote for Henry.

Henry has spent tons of money, but the I certainly feel like it was all spent wisely and we're getting a lot of value from the improvements.

I'm sure that Russ Jehl is now planning on how he can get into that office in four years.

Top Bottom