Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

I just compared some numbers with my local school system. If they have the 185 day contract as stated above, then the teachers are making about $230 per day of work. I on the other hand make about $200 per day of work if I don't have to work any Saturdays as I am salary. I can almost guarantee that their insurance and retirement are better than mine as well.

In the end I do make more than teacher do, but I also work a lot more hours. So I don't understand the problem really.

User Info Menu

My wife is a kindergarten teacher. Kindergarten is not mandatory. It does, however, have required standards the kids (read: teachers) need to meet. No more naps and coloring for kindergartners.

My wife's contract time is 0730 to 1545. Class starts at 0730 - not a good idea to walk in when you're supposed to be ready to start teaching. Shes in a meeting until 1545 - if she leaves as soon as the meeting is over that leaves 0 hours to prep for the next day. (She does have a "prep period" which is usually used not prepping, but dealing with behavioral issues or parent phone calls or some other meeting shes required to attend.) Therefore prep work turns in to unpaid work. She regularly works 2+ hours of an evening or goes in on the weekend to work (again for free) for 4 hours. Her insurance used to be better than mine, but then I got a new job and we are all on my insurance now - so no added benefits from that angle.

Also, her raise is dependent on how well the kids in the district (or school - I forget) do on standardized tests. She is rewarded or punished for other people's actions. If there is a dumb kid or a kid who just doesn't care, that negatively affects her income. I've been trying to talk her in to taking a year off, working on getting her master's degree and trying to get in administration. She said she has no chance of administration without a master's.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJQ6945 View Post
    Jagee makes Beetlejuice look like a *****!

User Info Menu

Speaking of red...

...in case you were wondering where this originates

Red For Ed - NEA Today
    Last edited by HoughMade; 3 Days Ago at 15:06.
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

User Info Menu

Yeah, my hours are technically 7-3:30 I guess. But in 10 years, I have never worked less than 6:30-4:30. That's part of a salary position, you are paid to do a certain job, and you agreed to do it for a certain salary, not work a certain amount of hours. If people want a dedicated start and stop time, then they shouldn't be taking salary positions.

User Info Menu

A different way to look at it is are we paying teachers enough to attract good people into the role. Im not sure I've met a teacher who says they suggest it to someone thinking about a career right now.

34k a year, even if it's a short year, doesnt seem to be attracting people.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jludo View Post
    A different way to look at it is are we paying teachers enough to attract good people into the role. Im not sure I've met a teacher who says they suggest it to someone thinking about a career right now.

34k a year, even if it's a short year, doesnt seem to be attracting people.
    That is one issue and whether teachers are being paid appropriately is always worth exploring.

...but the "Red for Ed" thing is much deeper than that. I wouldn't quite call teacher salary a stalking horse in this movement, but it is certainly put out front because it is the hardest issue to attack. It is just the marquee issue that people who like their teachers will find it hard to be against.

Other things such as being against vouchers, private schools, charter schools, unless unionized, diminishing local funding and control in an effort to redistribute wealth, "progressive" viewpoints being promoted in classrooms, etc., etc., etc.

The whole thing is a clever campaign to get the public to agitate to enact anything the NEA wants....because the NEA is behind this.
    Last edited by HoughMade; 3 Days Ago at 16:08.

User Info Menu

Hmmm....how about 7 years without a pay raise???

Don

User Info Menu

Is it possible to just pay teachers so much that they dont need a union?
    Most teachers would prefer not be forced to be part of one anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jludo View Post
    Is it possible to just pay teachers so much that they dont need a union?
    Most teachers would prefer not be forced to be part of one anyway.
    Would they work without a union if we paid them what they are making now plus whatever their union dues are? If not, why not?

...and do you seriously think that the unions would allow that to happen?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post
    Would they work without a union if we paid them what they are making now plus whatever their union dues are? If not, why not?

...and do you seriously think that the unions would allow that to happen?
    Im saying why not just pay them more than the unions are getting them? A lot easier to not join the union of you're making 50k and not having your benefits reduced every year.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast