Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Go Red for Ed(ucation)!

I have seen soooooooo many social media posts by people who have no flipping clue how teachers get paid or why, but they are certain that it needs to be more.

Full disclosure, my wife is a special ed teacher...

Let's do a little compare and contrast.

8 weeks vacation minimum, starting out. I've been working 17 years for one company to get 5. State mandates 180 "days" in class. I know teachers work more than that, and more than 8 hours a day, but c'mon, that's still 81 days off. Also, working overtime without extra pay isn't just a teacher thing.

Represented workforce negotiated $50k/yr give or take. I have to negotiate my own pay.

State and local governments fund school corporations. I get paid based on how much product we sell.

Not a bad gig, all in all... Pay goes way up if you move into administration, and you still get tons of vaca.

Also, school corporations pay the salaries, so why are they protesting the state government? Also, who sets the school corporation budget?

I've read through nearly all of the Indiana code, even the bits written in the 1800s and no where did I see anything about teacher salaries. What I did see is the the school corporation sets the salary. IC-20-28-9-1.5 section G

(g) Each school corporation shall submit its local compensation plan to the Indiana education employment relations board.  For a school year beginning after June 30, 2015, a local compensation plan must specify the range for teacher salaries.  The Indiana education employment relations board shall publish the local compensation plans on the Indiana education employment relations board's Internet web site.

It's ironic, to me anyway, that there are so many uneducated people, on an issue dealing primarily with education. Maybe it's because we don't pay teachers enough...

All the snark and sarcasm aside, if I'm wrong on this, please let me know. Thank you!

User Info Menu

Red.

Huh.
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post
    Red.

Huh.
    I did not miss the symbolism either...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ATOMonkey View Post
    ...Also, school corporations pay the salaries, so why are they protesting the state government? Also, who sets the school corporation budget?...
    Let me offer a clue as to one issue that's going on.

An individual less affluent school district cannot take tax revenue from taxpayers in more affluent districts and redistribute it to themselves. The State, on the other hand.....

User Info Menu

My contract is for 185 days. I get paid for those. The time off is unpaid leave.

I have a friend who once worked as a 911 dispatcher. She always gave me a hard time about my off time. She worked 4 days per week. She had a lot of vacation time. She worked less days per year than I did.

The time off is probably the best thing about teaching.

Political correctness and lack of academic freedom are probably the worst things about education after idiot administration.
    No one is stronger or more dangerous than the man who can harness his emotions.

www.BrightFirearmsTraining.com

abright@ccrtc.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    My contract is for 185 days. I get paid for those. The time off is unpaid leave.

I have a friend who once worked as a 911 dispatcher. She always gave me a hard time about my off time. She worked 4 days per week. She had a lot of vacation time. She worked less days per year than I did.

Political correctness and lack of academic freedom are probably the worst things about education after idiot administration.
    Thank you for that clarification.

I volunteer about 6 hours a week at my son's school and spend most of my time un-indoctrinating kids by using silly things like facts and logic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post
    Let me offer a clue as to one issue that's going on.

An individual less affluent school district cannot take tax revenue from taxpayers in more affluent districts and redistribute it to themselves. The State, on the other hand.....
    Even if they were allowed to "re-distribute" more money, there is nothing that says it has to go to compensation, as that is paid out of the general fund (to the best of my knowledge).

User Info Menu

Even if they were allowed to "re-distribute" more money, there is nothing that says it has to go to compensation, as that is paid out of the general fund (to the best of my knowledge).
    Correct. ...and itís not all about salaries.

The people at the root of this ďmovementĒ donít like that some districts are more well off than others. Itís deeper than that, of course, but this is one of the things at the heart of what is going on. Another is simply that they want more tax money for all schools. They can never take enough of your money.

Donít mistake the opinions of individual teachers who may just want the best for their students with the attitudes of the the political class within education.

KLB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post

That just means that you receive your annual salary in fewer payments than I do.

Teachers tend to have pretty good retirement benefits too.
    They shouldn't just drop a hellfire missile on your cafť experience...Rand Paul

User Info Menu

Thank you for that clarification.

I volunteer about 6 hours a week at my son's school and spend most of my time un-indoctrinating kids by using silly things like facts and logic.
    Facts are stubborn things.

No one is stronger or more dangerous than the man who can harness his emotions.

www.BrightFirearmsTraining.com

abright@ccrtc.com

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast