• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Duh, they have been doing it for years. Even you can go to the license branch, pay a price and get a list of every vehicle with information you request (say white jeeps). That is why you can get targeted ads at times.

as for carry licenses, I believe that is a no.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    This has also been going on for some time with accident reports. Ambulance chasers have been able to receive reports for potential lawsuits and will send the drivers letters soliciting for business.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Yup it's true. My name on my drivers license is a version that I never use, and I can verify that I get snail mail using that variation. Sickening that the state takes advantage of it's people first by taxing them to use a motor vehicle, then making more money by selling their info to the highest bidder.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yup it's true. My name on my drivers license is a version that I never use, and I can verify that I get snail mail using that variation. Sickening that the state takes advantage of it's people first by taxing them to use a motor vehicle, then making more money by selling their info to the highest bidder.
    No no no...Not the highest bidder, anyone willing to pay the asking price

n9tkf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2018
    Just before the earth ends.
    This has also been going on for some time with accident reports. Ambulance chasers have been able to receive reports for potential lawsuits and will send the drivers letters soliciting for business.
    The last accident report that I had to obtain I had to pay a fee to get the report from a 3rd party website. Makes me wonder if our info is protected.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    The last accident report that I had to obtain I had to pay a fee to get the report from a 3rd party website. Makes me wonder if our info is protected.

Although the vehicle crash data is held by a third-party vendor, that company is a subsidiary of Lexis-Nexis, which acquired the smaller company that initially set up the electronic crash reporting system. Lexis-Nexis is also providing the back end for the state's handgun licensing and criminal history data programs. When I was still there, the data was well-protected and the state's contracts with the vendor required strong data security and dissemination only in accordance with law. Criminal history data and LTCH records may only be disclosed publicly under limited circumstances.

Crash data, on the other hand, is public and available to anyone who wants to pay for it, such as Carfax, insurance companies, and, of course, personal injury lawyers.

LTCH data also used to be public records, until the Indy Star did a series of articles and created a searchable database. The General Assembly acted pretty quickly, making the records exempt from disclosure under the Access to Public Records Act (Indiana's version of FOIA).

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I do not believe that even a majority of the citizens understand their state government is selling their data. I always love looking at people's faces when told the credit reporting agencies have suffered 14 major breeches, so even your most critical data is out there. To the legal eagles here, has there ever been a major case determining just who owns the data? The individual or government?

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Probably sell carry permit data too...

"This is a revenue generating contract," one document from the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles obtained by Motherboard reads.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...vate-investigators-making-millions-of-dollars

They passed a law a several years back making LTCH holder's info unavailable to the public. You used to be to able to log onto ARIES and look up LTCH holders but after the passing of that law, ARIES locked all that info down. IIRC the reason for the law was LTCH holder's homes were being targeted and broken into. I believe a few New York News outlets were threatening to publish the info of firearm permit holders in their state about the same time also.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It’s okay not to want the State government to sell your personal data. Water in liquid form is wet. Don’t lick dry ice.

Top Bottom