• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well. If that’s true, it sucks. I think it would be a good thing for medical providers not to hide their prices from consumers.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Well. If that’s true, it sucks. I think it would be a good thing for medical providers not to hide their prices from consumers.

It is true, and the real reason is they do not want the public to see the data is we will see the hidden tax to cover uninsured and the profit they get from the working middle class. There is an abundance of hidden money in hospital costs. I would like to see a "truth in charges" law like there is for other major transactions. People do their due diligence before a procedure then unexpected charges show up with no corresponding unexpected medical situation to cover.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It is true, and the real reason is they do not want the public to see the data is we will see the hidden tax to cover uninsured and the profit they get from the working middle class. There is an abundance of hidden money in hospital costs. I would like to see a "truth in charges" law like there is for other major transactions. People do their due diligence before a procedure then unexpected charges show up with no corresponding unexpected medical situation to cover.

The question of truth I’m unsure about is whether and how the Trump administration is trying to get hospitals to to be forthcoming about prices. Notice I’m not calling it cost.

As an infrequent but not inexperienced consumer of medical services I am well aware that there is no transparency in medical service pricing. Try to price-shop for butt-scoping.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sorry, my friend. I could not help myself.

:laugh:

It is the truth though, just try to do it...

They won’t give you a price. They can’t tell you how much it’s going to be until after they’ve billed hour insurance company.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Just knowing that they're wanting to sue means Trump and the WH are right to do what they're doing. Our health system in the US is absolutely crazy. There's no reason why costs are as high as they are and that those costs are "secret". I hope Trump is able to get it done!

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I sure hope it gets done. I think knowing the cost of the operation or procedures a head of time (I’m not talking ER visits or what not) is great.

I want an MRI on my hand, between the hospital and my insurance I’m struggling to find what my oop will be

n9tkf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2018
    Just before the earth ends.
    Try calling your insurance and ask them to look up the prices in their database. They should know the negotiated price for the hospital or clinic. If you can get the procedure code the insurance should be able to give you a firm price and explain your options.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Although I am supporting a Trump in this, it is actually a little misleading; at times.

Medicare reimbursement is public knowledge IF you know where to look. The billed amount (from hospital) is set by Medicare. The hospital can bill any number they want, but Medicare will only accept (pay off of) their Medicare "BILLABLE". i.e.

Hospitable procedure billed by hospital @ $10k
    Medicare billed allowable is $7k
    Medicare pays out 80% - or - $5600.00
    Your payment is $1400.00 unless you have supplement. (and that is JUST the hospital bill)

Many times, one can get the ballpark "hospital" charges by knowing the Medical allowable charge (which is pretty much public knowledge).

Through contracts with special insurances, pharmacies, Medicare, Medicaid, PPO's, HMO's and such, it becomes difficult to maintain a Price Board, per se'.

Many hospitals do post their room and board fee but even that is a nebulous number based on the above. Some insurances will only pay lump sums per procedure and the hospital does not always know until iy is billed to the insurance.

My suggestion is to do 2 things. Mandate insurance companies to expose their reimbursement policies based on their current contracts with providers along with provider publishing fees. In other words, mandate insurance to inform their reimbursement amount per procedure and providers to post their billable fee per procedure. Although this would be a nightmare and IMO create more confusion and costs for the consumer, it seems people may have a slightly better understanding. Add to this ancillary fees. May times a laboratory or X-ray department is no longer an actual part of the hospital but a third party business partner. You have contracted surgical teams, anesthesia departments and such that are not part of the actual hospital. Each department will bill insurance other own. Thus when a hospital cannot give pricing, it may be true because they are not the only parties billing the insurance.

The third factor, not mentioned, is the fact they have individuals who review most claims based on necessity and need. These individuals are hired to save insurance companies money....at any expense.

My point in this long post is that mandating hospitals to post prices is not really the answer. It is plugging one hole in the ever leaking healthcare system.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Always follow the money

With the medical/industrial complex, that trail is very wide. Like tracking an armored division.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    All the above but also the doctors are being told what they can and can't do for their patient by the insurance companies. I wish the insurance companies would keep their noses out of that.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    All the above but also the doctors are being told what they can and can't do for their patient by the insurance companies. I wish the insurance companies would keep their noses out of that.

That is easy, don't buy insurance, aye cash, and the doctor will do what you tell them to. We have to get away from employer provided insurance. While I understand your comment, most people have insurance paid for by someone else so you are a product to the insurance company, Your employer is the insurance companies customer, they pay for it, so it is designed to benefit them. If everyone purchased their own insurance it would be more what patients want not employers...

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    The byzantine, convoluted system of healthcare costs vs. what is actually paid is the result of years of evolution since employer-provided medical insurance emerged as a benefit about 75 years ago. The market is distorted, in economic terms, when consumers are not the ones paying the bills, and third parties (health insurers and the government) have an incentive to keep costs down. Throw in massive government regulation and mandates that various politically preferable services be covered by insurance, and now we have a huge mess.

Complicating this situation is how health insurance has morphed from coverage for catastrophic or serious illnesses/injuries to where policyholders expect it to cover, at least partially, every service provided.

What other product do you buy without having some idea, up front, what it will cost? Add in the fact that most healthcare services are necessary, not elective. You generally don't get to choose whether and when to get your inflamed appendix removed. :):

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Mine does. But he also uses leeches to cure infection.

Does he also use bloodletting? I think it is important that an eminent Man of Science knows when to use one or the other?

attachment.php

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Leeches are also great for to help with blood circulation. As are bee stings. But you won't see them in the hospitals either.
    Maggots are a good way to help with a wound infection plus they are a good source of protein. Win-Win!

.....and you won't see them in my hospitals either.

Top Bottom