• Is this creepy or not?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Reading this article is like a journey into the mid of a control freak, in a country where this combined with some programmers on staff qualifies you for a funded contract (or fifty):

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/c...dreds-of-thousands/ar-BBYiX9M?ocid=spartanntp

What's your opinion, upon reading the above link?

1. This is Orwellian AsF.

2. Meh, no different than anything else. Just ditch your phone or opt-out.

3. How do I sign my child up for this?

...and since this is INGO...

4. College students are mostly spoiled brats and if their sheeple parents are dumb enough to pay $XX,XXX per year on a worthless college degree it serves them right to be tracked like juvenile parolees.

(**BONUS - watch for the quip from our own "My Man Mitch," as both major Indiana Public Universities get a shout-out in this article.)

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I had heard of one of the schools doing this with sports games. They were having lagging attendance because the teams sucked. So to encourage students to attend, they would give them extra credit for attending home games. But if they left before it was over, no credit will be given. Apparently even when kids would show for the games, they'd bail at halftime because they were getting spanked. So by the end of the game there were hardly any students left to support the team.

There are better ways to do it. And who cares if the students attend your lectures? Either they pass or fail. College students have done fine for generations using this method.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Zoicks! That is ****ed up like channel 4. More and more I want to go back to my dumb old flip brick, and get rid of all the smart phone bells and whistles, but then I’d have nothing to play games on while waiting on, Well anything.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    When does ungulate excrement like this fall under laws regarding wire tapping?

MH

Unrelated. The students have to put the app onto their phones with the knowledge that the app will be used for this purpose.

It's not wiretapping to record a phone call when the people on the line know it's being recorded.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Add some blockers, jammers, scramblers, etc.... whatever it takes to get back to the old fashion teach and learn game.

Ya I know they're illegal. They shouldn't be. It wasn't illegal to have a techless campus before all that crap was invented. so why can't we have "Dark" areas if we so choose. You know... like the olden days.

Keep it simple.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'd just keep my wifi and location services turned off (like I do now). That's if they forced me to put the app on the phone at all. Thankfully I'm an old fart and no longer have to worry about that sort of thing for myself.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'd just keep my wifi and location services turned off (like I do now). That's if they forced me to put the app on the phone at all. Thankfully I'm an old fart and no longer have to worry about that sort of thing for myself.

and if I read the article correctly, you’d fail all your classes for not showing up to lectures. I don’t recall seeing where students could opy out.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    and if I read the article correctly, you’d fail all your classes for not showing up to lectures. I don’t recall seeing where students could opy out.

I thought I read where they could but they only had like a 2 week window to do so.

Edit: Here's what I saw... might not be available at all schools using this kind of thing though.

"Students using Degree Analytics’ WiFi system can opt-out by clicking “no” on a window that asks whether they want to help “support student success, operations and security.” But Benz, the company’s chief, said very few do. That is, until last month at VCU, which recently launched a pilot program to monitor a set of courses required of all freshmen. Students said they were frustrated to first learn of the system in a short email about a “new attendance tool” and were given only two weeks before the opt-out deadline passed."

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Life is full of expectations such as attendance what better place to learn this than college? This is the "i" generation and just the next level of.freedoms to erode.so.what's the problem? Another generation or two and they'll be implanting the chips at birth.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Life is full of expectations such as attendance what better place to learn this than college? This is the "i" generation and just the next level of.freedoms to erode.so.what's the problem? Another generation or two and they'll be implanting the chips at birth.
    Now if we can just get them to spay and neuter... ;)

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    Add some blockers, jammers, scramblers, etc.... whatever it takes to get back to the old fashion teach and learn game.

Ya I know they're illegal. They shouldn't be. It wasn't illegal to have a techless campus before all that crap was invented. so why can't we have "Dark" areas if we so choose. You know... like the olden days.

Keep it simple.

For the same reason we don't have them etching cuneiform tablets with pictographs: technology moves forward and provides a superior means of doing something. By all means attempt to run a business on pen and paper and try to compete with people using computers: they'll be building their business in the time it takes to fill out ledgers, make phone calls instead of texts/emails, etc.

Does that mean we should all bow down and implant tracking/wallet/medical chips into our right hands and foreheads? Obviously not, but that doesn't imply that Ludditism is a good idea.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I thought I read where they could but they only had like a 2 week window to do so.

Edit: Here's what I saw... might not be available at all schools using this kind of thing though.

"Students using Degree Analytics’ WiFi system can opt-out by clicking “no” on a window that asks whether they want to help “support student success, operations and security.” But Benz, the company’s chief, said very few do. That is, until last month at VCU, which recently launched a pilot program to monitor a set of courses required of all freshmen. Students said they were frustrated to first learn of the system in a short email about a “new attendance tool” and were given only two weeks before the opt-out deadline passed."

Im surprised they even allow that. Probably trying to avoid being called out for forcing it on the students. Give them time. They'll just turn up the heat a little more on the frog water once the students are used to it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you pass the tests, why does attendance matter?

I went to college in my mid 30s. In the field I had been in for 20 years (counting schools and jobs).
    I tutored for most of the classes. Found mistakes in the class.
    I attended, to make sure there wasn't some info slipping in that I needed to learn.
    So.. why would it matter if I wasn't there?
    I paid the fee.
    I passed the test.

It's like when I took a safety class at work. They were upset because I wouldn't sign the attendance sheet. I just put my check number down.
    They said I needed to "prove" I was in the class.
    I informed them, they have my employee card clocking into the class.
    They had security cam footage of me attending the class.
    They had my test, showing I was in the class.
    They had 20-30 witnesses, who would definitely remember me.

(They were demonstrating GFCI by having the student put his hand in water and rotating the hand.
    When you put your hand in the water a certain direction, it didn't trip.
    As you rotated your hand, you started to "break" through more "lines of flux". Causing you to barely feel the shock.
    Then the GFCI tripped.
    When it got to me, I REFUSED. They told us earlier in the class to NEVER intentionally take a shock.
    THEN they talked about a case of GFCI failure where a model demonstrating the GFCI died when it failed.
    So, I refused.
    They showed me it worked, but hitting the test button.
    I told them that only proves it "worked" previously. It could NOW be broke.
    There is a dividing line on everything that breaks. It works now. Then it doesn't work.
    People always say, "But it worked a minute ago". Yes, it did. And now it's broke.
    So.. after my refusal, the entire rest of the class refused the test.
    I'm pretty sure they'd remember me.)

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    This is becoming a thing at large professional training events. Last September, i was at a national training event in Chicago (WEFTec) and on the back of the attendance badges were bluetooth devices that tracked your movement around the conference, how much time you spent at exhibits, etc. Within 5 minutes i peeled mine off and stuck it to the back of a rental motorized wheelchair. In the event's follow up email, they included a map of where we had been at the conference...i giggled at the path my bluetooth showed...

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm not sure that peeps are quite thinking this through

1) The mention of China's social credit systems and conditioning students to accept this is spot on. This would appear to be the next step in brainwashing endemic at the collegiate level

2) How has turning off location worked so far? Several times a year I read about apps taking location data even when you think location is disabled, most recently it was iPhones

3) This has high potential against 'wrongthink' (as defined by the colleges), can you not imagine what the college might do with the knowledge a student was attending a campus republicans meeting or a lecture by a controversial figure. It is hard enough now to be a conservative on campus, we don't need to increase that hardship, let alone what the college might do with the potential knowledge of who is sleeping with who. Would it not be possible to expand social credit to necessitating diverse relationships (friendship as well as more intimate) with the 'correct' protected classes

Big Brother would be all sticky about this level of surveillance

Top Bottom