SHUT UP! Indiana School Tries to Silence Parents on Facebook with Draconian Poli

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    SHUT UP! Indiana School Tries to Silence Parents on Facebook with Draconian Policy

An Indiana school district[FONT=&quot] is under fire for writing a policy that parents and the ACLU say is a violation of their First Amendment rights and an attempt to shield the board from legitimate criticism. The North West Hendricks School Corporation’s “[/FONT]Parent Code of Conduct[FONT=&quot] ” says parents shall not "use Facebook or any other Social Network to make rude/offensive comments towards individual staff members or the school in general." It goes on to outlaw the use of "Facebook or any other Social Network to campaign against or fuel outrage against individual staff members, the school, or policies implemented by the school or district." If a parent is in violation of these rules they can be banned from school property and events, according to the policy.

[/FONT]
    Petty tyrants, eh.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Heard this thru another source. Almost funny.

If NW Hendricks would get their house in order, they wouldn't have to worry about negative social media posts. Just sayin'.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I'm so glad I finished school before social media and smartphones were huge. Seeing kids these days get punished by their school for photos completely unrelated to school is infuriating.
    MySpace was getting big my junior/senior year, but it wasn’t big enough for schools to take notice and monitor anything there. I couldn’t imagine being in school now. Post a picture at the range with dad, risk getting expelled... I try to explain to my 13 year old that social media has unintended consequences that can haunt you for years to come.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Yet another reason why we (who live in Hendricks county, though not in this school district) homeschool.

This district would not like me. This is exactly the issue that I would force them to act on, by attempting to expel me from the school property that my property taxes pay for. It would make a great lesson on what constitutional protection of rights actually means.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    Given the dramatic decline of IQ across the nation, this isn't the worst idea I've ever heard of. Rare is the occasion where people on social media pen an intellectual thought.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...and how could I forget this:

If the school and teachers would agree to keep their ever insatiable appetite for my cash off of social media, maybe I could take this seriously.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm so glad I finished school before social media and smartphones were huge. Seeing kids these days get punished by their school for photos completely unrelated to school is infuriating.

It is insane. Control from above. Orwellian.
    Now I know why 1984 is no longer a required read in school.

Top Bottom