• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So SCOTUS is ready to hear the case of whether electoral college delegates must cast their votes based on popular vote, or if they can disregard our directive and vote their conscience. I think its the former. Otherwise, why hold an actual election? Why not just choose the delegates and send them to the EC every 4 years to cast their ballot however they feel if that is the case?

Here is my take:

You: Bob, thanks for running out and grabbing lunch for us all. For my carry out order I'd like a double roast beef, large curly fries, and large chocolate shake. Here is my money.

upon his return...

Bob: You're a fat lard, Jane. I know better than you so I decided to throw out your order and instead I decided to use your cash and buy you a salad and a bottled water instead. Enjoy your lunch, you Jane, you ignorant slut!* Its in your best interest, I hope you understand. I only want what I think is best for you.

https://www.wthr.com/article/justices-consider-case-could-change-how-presidents-are-chosen

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    You have the mistaken belief you are casting a ballot for a candidate personally. You are actually casting a ballot for a slate of electors...

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    If the electors are bound to vote as the statewide popular vote seems to indicate, then there's really no point in having electors.

Is the real goal here to cut off the head of the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact?

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    If the electors are bound to vote as the statewide popular vote seems to indicate, then there's really no point in having electors.

Is the real goal here to cut off the head of the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact?

I agree with that first sentence. Conversely, if electors are able to cast a vote against the will of the people then what's stopping Soros or Bloomberg money bribing these electors in key states to vote against the will of the people in order to get the candidate they want? Honesty and integrity in this country is in the toilet. My hope is that Jesus flushes it soon

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As I recall some electors were advocating for the ability to vote their conscience, not just following the rest of the electors in the state.

I recall several speaking out in 2016 that they believed Trump was a faulty candidate and should not be seated even if the voters chose him. So it wasn’t totally about “all or nothing” voting.

it was as if literally Hitler and Stalin were raised from the dead and got the Republican nomination by telling the country they were going to send all democrats to gas chambers and rip up the constitution so dems could never be elected again and all Republicans were voting for it. (at least this is about how those few electors were acting)

Last edited:

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The electors are selected by the party, therefore if they go rouge tha party is to blame. The state should have no law.

Choosing each State's electors is a two-part process. First, the political parties in each State choose slates of potential electors sometime before the general election. Second, during the general election, the voters in each State select their State's electors by casting their ballots.

The first part of the process is controlled by the political parties in each State and varies from State to State. Generally, the parties either nominate slates of potential electors at their State party conventions or they chose them by a vote of the party's central committee. This happens in each State for each party by whatever rules the State party and (sometimes) the national party have for the process. This first part of the process results in each Presidential candidate having their own unique slate of potential electors.

Political parties often choose individuals for the slate to recognize their service and dedication to that political party. They may be State elected officials, State party leaders, or people in the State who have a personal or political affiliation with their party's Presidential candidate. (For specific information about how slates of potential electors are chosen, contact the political parties in each State.)

The second part of the process happens during the general election. When the voters in each State cast votes for the Presidential candidate of their choice they are voting to select their State's electors. The potential electors' names may or may not appear on the ballot below the name of the Presidential candidates, depending on election procedures and ballot formats in each State.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    We should not get rid of the electoral collage. It is a slight balance against highly populated states dominating the entire presidential election.

There are 3,142 counties and parishes in the United States. It is my understanding that an EXTREMELY small number (less than 200) would be all that you would need to win and the entire rest of the nation would not matter in a popular vote.

Take Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago, New York, Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, etc and a candidate would have most of what they need. As most of the nation, and the world, lives in highly population dense cities they are more reliant upon government largess and thus more likely to lean toward government control. Inevitably that control will come over the decades and centuries no matter what, except that by using the independence of the lower population states they can have input on making the ridiculous much less so.

The electoral college is also very important in that they don't have to vote the way their party does. It IS a last ditch safety net to deny an extreme nutjob from gaining the office even though they have vast public support. Think Hitler, think Erdogan, think Duterte. All elected through popular mandate and arguably tyrants in the making.

Finally, our system is not perfect, but it has worked very well for over 200 years. Let us not let "perfect" get in the way of "pretty damned good."

Regards,

Doug

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    [FONT=&quot]The case arises from the 2016 presidential election. Three Hillary Clinton electors in Washington state and one in Colorado refused to vote for her despite her popular vote win in both states. In so doing, they hoped to persuade enough electors in states won by Donald Trump to choose someone else and deny Trump the presidency.[/FONT]

I don't care that it was hitlary, THAT should have never happened, she should have gotten those votes. I don't know why this is even up for discussion.

Keep the electoral college system for states, remove the individual electors if they are going to be able to do that. State certified majority vote. Done.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I don't care that it was hitlary, THAT should have never happened, she should have gotten those votes. I don't know why this is even up for discussion.

Keep the electoral college system for states, remove the individual electors if they are going to be able to do that. State certified majority vote. Done.

And go back to state legislatures selecting senators

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

It's hard for me to see any problem with this. Pritmuch the only states supporting the Interstate Compact were ones who were going to vote Blue anyway. But hopefully this will add more tools to the toolbox for potentially preventing any Red states from getting a bug up their ass anyway. If Red states decide they want to put measures in place curb-stomping the Interstate Compact within their state, any legal challenges to such measures are already pre-strangled in the cradle by the biggest fist in the land. Heh.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    giphy.gif

Top Bottom