Illinois wants to eliminate self serve gas.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Illinois doesn't have enough Nanny State laws I guess.
    People complaining about the cost of gas in Illinois are about to get more unhappy.

https://abc7chicago.com/5922657/

Illinois gas station law would prohibit drivers from pumping their own gas

[video=youtube;31DuJ7EYYJ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31DuJ7EYYJ8&app=desktop&persist_app=1[/video]

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't live there so if the machine wants to bleed more out of it's citizens to fatten up it's friends, I say go for it. When the people hurt enough, Howard Beale will arrive.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't live there so if the machine wants to bleed more out of it's citizens to fatten up it's friends, I say go for it. When the people hurt enough, Howard Beale will arrive.

The problem is that when $$ forces people out of leftist havens, they are not smart enough to realize why where they came from is getting worse and bring their voting behavior behavior with them.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    The problem is that when $$ forces people out of leftist havens, they are not smart enough to realize why where they came from is getting worse and bring their voting behavior behavior with them.

Sad, but true. Like what they've done to Denver, CO and parts of Texas. Eventually they reach a critical mass, then you get things like Colorado's magazine laws.

And these people want to implement this mob rule nationwide by abolishing the Electoral College.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

Somewhere a Howard Jarvis has to come along and enough down state voters band together to break the machine. That won't happen until the state is a trash pit like New Jersey.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, even the bill's author thinks it's a ridiculous idea:
    Camille Lilly said:
    House Bill 4571 is concept legislation to create safety and convenience at the pump. House Bill 4571 is not intended to pass as is. The intention of this bill is to give consumers the option to be serviced by a gas station attendant, in addition to the self-service option currently used. House Bill 4571 could potentially create jobs that impact the local economy. The input we receive is very valuable to help shape House Bill 4571 into legislation the people of Illinois desire.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I remember when we thought "Self-Serve" was idiocy. There was a time when we called them service stations, now they are just gas stations with convenience stores, knocking back the dollars for no service.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I thought that Oregon got rid of that law a few years back? Maybe I just imagined it. I can vaguely remember when we had full service stations, oil, wipers, fluid, and gas. This attempt to "potentially create jobs" is precisely why the government should stay out of most things. It is not unusual now for many stations to have 10, or 12, o 15 pumps. How many attendants would take? Then, you have to pay them 15 dollars an hour. So you are now adding a lot of money per hour to operating costs. This would, at a minimum, kill of gas stations that are with 15-20 miles of the border.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I thought that Oregon got rid of that law a few years back? Maybe I just imagined it. I can vaguely remember when we had full service stations, oil, wipers, fluid, and gas. This attempt to "potentially create jobs" is precisely why the government should stay out of most things. It is not unusual now for many stations to have 10, or 12, o 15 pumps. How many attendants would take? Then, you have to pay them 15 dollars an hour. So you are now adding a lot of money per hour to operating costs. This would, at a minimum, kill of gas stations that are with 15-20 miles of the border.

They did. I'm not sure how radical their changes were, but there was some.

It boggles the mind that a politician would be trying to create more low(est) paying jobs by fiat.

There are some people that think pumping gas is too dangerous for the general public. Well, imagine that we now restrict it to only those that are incapable of finding a better job than pumping gas. :n00b:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    They have a plan for that. Once Democrats lower the standards in engineering and science degrees enough to assure diversity, pumping gas won't be so dangerous (compared to, say, utilizing bridges or high rise buildings or having surgery done)

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    And what say the motorcyclist's? I for one won't let anyone near my bike for the purpose of refilling. I guess travel through Illinois has yet another reason to be considered a no go.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This seems like a good enough place to ask -:hijack:

Has anyone else noticed a rise in nozzles with the handle latched, but returned to the holder?

You know, so you put in your card, select the grade, remove the nozzle from the pump and gasoline immediately is dispensed.

And is this practice malicious or stupidity? :dunno:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Malicious gets my vote. Only scenario I can see which might not trigger the nozzle lever closed is pumping a preset dollar amount. Full disclosure, I don't do this so I don't know if the attendant/controls shutting off the pump kicks the reset or not. If it doesn't it could be just careless [STRIKE]millenials[/STRIKE] people returning the nozzle to the holder after they get [STRIKE]the $5 that's all they can afford[/STRIKE] their prepaid amount without triggering to release

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That's another way to drive up the cost of gas.

Well, it's already high.
    And I think I saw estimates of 50 cents a gallon raise due to this.
    Of course, it depends on the station. Busier stations will be able to spread the cost out better than small stations that don't dispense much gas.
    Also, you're going to see increased refuel time.

Top Bottom