• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Enjoy...The main point...Trump is doing an end around of the media, and the American people appear to know it and welcome it.

[video=youtube_share;-0PDx8cvsLc]https://youtu.be/-0PDx8cvsLc[/video]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, for years, and years, and year, politicians are liars and need to be kept in check, but then the most bombastic, hyperbolic president ever comes along and suddenly all that changes?

:dunno:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So, for years, and years, and year, politicians are liars and need to be kept in check, but then the most bombastic, hyperbolic president ever comes along and suddenly all that changes?

Yes, many politicians are liars and need to be kept in check.
    But when the media abandons objective journalism and becomes an open advocate for one major party while openly slandering the other major party, the American people see this biased "yellow journalism" and are sympathetic to those that do an end run around the media.

The main stream media has brought this on themselves.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The main stream media has brought this on themselves.

Yeah, I certainly agree they share much of the blame.

I only caught the tail end of it, but and ABC journalist was on ME touting his new book about the distrust of the media and experts.

He was laying blame on Trump for his promotion of "false news" and the rise of people who derive all their "facts" from memes and FB.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/26/821811794/abcs-jonathan-karl-writes-about-front-row-at-the-trump-show

Indeed, those are big problems, but I think he needs to take a look inward.

There are still plenty of objective news sources, but steer clear of big TV networks, and separate the news from the op eds.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I don't think Trump will be reelected, but I agree with the premise, that he would be a fool to allow any portion of his reelection to rest on any kind of favorable assumptions about what kind of treatment he will receive from the American news media.

Barack Obama was absolutely _fawned_ over by the mainstream media. The only hint of criticism he ever got, was for being not liberal enough / trusting Republicans too much / not implementing his policies more forcefully. That's not real criticism.

Whatever else you may think about this President, no person with any clear powers of observation can reasonably assert the American media do not have a "side" in our politics.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't think Trump will be reelected, but I agree with the premise, that he would be a fool to allow any portion of his reelection to rest on any kind of favorable assumptions about what kind of treatment he will receive from the American news media.

Barack Obama was absolutely _fawned_ over by the mainstream media. The only hint of criticism he ever got, was for being not liberal enough / trusting Republicans too much / not implementing his policies more forcefully. That's not real criticism.

Whatever else you may think about this President, no person with any clear powers of observation can reasonably assert the American media do not have a "side" in our politics.

Pretty much the news media wiped their chins after every press conference during the first 4 years of Obama's presidency. They kinda turned on him after he started prosecuting them. But not in a significant way, not in a way that would have brought real journalistic scrutiny to many of the things going on in Washington.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

They need to be kept in check but for years some haven't been and therein lies the problem. They're all going to do what politicians do, I don't expect that to change. If I have to choose, I'll choose politicians who at least say they're going to move the country in the direction I'd like to see it move which is pretty well completely at odds with the left as well as the media. I try to always keep in mind that I only know what "they" want me to know so I never assume I have the whole story - or even enough information to form an educated opinion on most issues. For this reason I tend to boil everything down to the lowest common denominator.

The left and the media seems to believe that as long as they say/report it, it somehow becomes truth and I don't agree with that approach. Words have meaning and constantly trying to change those meanings to sensationalize an issue or skew the facts is aggravating and insulting. Then again, I'm one of those "uneducated, cling to yer guns, country living hicks" who doesn't have time to play the "but what about?" game with every societal issue that comes along. Allow someone to plug in enough "what about's" and they can justify anything (and try to).

Simple questions deserve simple answers, right and wrong aren't as complicated as some would like to believe. I don't trust the media at any level and I sure don't appreciate their attempts at triggering emotions through the careful selection and adjusted definition of words. If they media wants to be respected they should begin to act in a respectful manner and actually adhere to the principles they claim to possess.

Truly unbiased media was important enough to be included into the 1st Amendment of the Constitution. That has been taken advantage of (along with a few others) and is being used not to further the meaning and intent of the Constitution but to undermine it.

Top Bottom