• ...and so much more!
  • Have you ever been denied a firearm?

• Total voters

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ok I feel violated.... I bought my Sigma the begining of april. Then I go to trade it in and Saturday my NICS was denied!! Never had a problem before, haven't been in any trouble, don't use drugs, NOTHING. So come to find out the appeals process is probably going to take longer than getting my PERMIT TO CARRY. Which it's looking like I'm going to get since they cashed both my MO's. Why I can get a gun, get a permit, and get an Armored Car job, but not get a second handgun is WAY beyond me. Has ANYONE ever had this happen to them or know someone that has?? Cause I honestly feel like somehow somewhere my rights are being violated....

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Honestly I keep waiting for it to happen to me. On average I've purchased almost 1 gun a week this year. Mostly handguns but several rifles. All the purchases have come through 2 dealers, some were transfers, some were special orders, one or two were stock guns. I figure so far I am just beating the odds. The dealer says that I've cleared so many transfers that I will never be denied unless I do something wrong. I don't see it that way, seems to me that any little glitch in the system, even when things are not your fault, can get you hung up on a purchase and cause a denial.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Well, I've got letters to write to the FBI that I'm not happy about. But I guess if i ever want to buy a handgun again I'd better get it done and over with and be as POLITE as possible. At least I get to keep the guns I already have! LOL If not I'd be all over the news and have an NRA lawyer or 10 backing me up! LOL

Scam1789

Long time Member mostly lurking.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Pittsboro
    Do they give you a reason? Do you have any idea why you were denied? Do you own a serious number of handguns?

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I have heard of people with common names running into problems. Last year I bought 4 guns in 3 days all single transactions and never had a hiccup. Good luck in dealing with the Government. And to think some people want them to control our healthcare!! :dunno:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    No Reasoncan be given by the FFL. You must write the FBI NICS division for a reason and then write them again for an appeal. I have no idea why they denied me, there is no reason to. I only own one handgun and that's the one you see to the left and I WAS trying to get a Semi-Compact Baby Eagle 9mm.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Just curious, but if you are denied and you simply wait a week or two and then try again will you be automatically denied again? From what I've been told, and I have no clue if its true or now, but some denials are due to simple glitches in the system.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Well just to be sure and so this doesn't mess me up somehow, I'm going through the motions. Because what if it's not a simple glitch? Every other time I had been delayed. So who's to say? Hell I dunno. It just seems like crap to me. Damn Brady Act.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Every other time I had been delayed.
    What kind of delays have you experienced? It seems to take about 90 seconds to 2 minutes to get my NICS checks cleared over the phone.

Do you have some sort of a very common name that could be easily confused with a bad guy?

BTW, do you give your social security number as an (optional) identifier? That might eliminate your problem?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Usually the full 5 day wait. And I guess Ryan is a pretty common name. So is Savage, kinda. So maybe, but I do put my soc on there.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    NICS APPEAL PROCESS INFO

This file is the Appeals Process Brochure downloaded from the FBI's website. I thought that someone one day may need this information. If nothing else, it should make for some decent discussion!!:dunno:

ALSO, the phone number to contact the State about your LTCH Permit is 317-232-8264. From there they will transfer you to the correct office. Open 8am-4:30pm. I sure hope this helps someone along the way. I did almost a full day of web searching, phone book searching and phone calls to get this far. So far I have sent in my info and called about my permit. No info on that but still waiting.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Good luck with the appeal. I've often wondered what would happen if a denial came through from NICS. I think it sucks that you have to go through so much to find out why you were denied. I wonder who is on the other side of the call handling the approval or denial.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Good luck with the appeal. I've often wondered what would happen if a denial came through from NICS. I think it sucks that you have to go through so much to find out why you were denied. I wonder who is on the other side of the call handling the approval or denial.

Dont worry I'll keep this thread updated. Until then, comments, suggestions, gripes, pentitions to end the Brady Act, wtfe welcome!!:popcorn2::alcoholic:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    SavageEagle:

Just to clarify, did you actually have to wait 5 days when you bought your Sigma? I've never heard of that. I thought the checks were supposed to be instant.

Again, good luck. Keep us posted.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Oh yea, even when I bought my Sears 500 12ga., old Winchester 30-30, and the Sigma, 5 day waiting period each time. I was always told, if they don't get an answer after 5 days, I can just come pick it up that fifth day. They are instant, but I guess if you get delayed it's like an in-depth investigation into your indentity or something. I can only guess I have a name of some criminal somewhere and they have to check that?

Anyway, thanks, and i will!

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    As said earlier, it happens to some people. There are some people who get delayed but then cleared every single time. I have heard that some people might share a name with someone else that can't own a gun and they have to make sure it really is you and not them.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Is it possible someone has stolen your SSN?

I have heard this site advertised but don't know anything about it but it might be worth the $4.95

CheckMySSN.com - Prevent Identity Theft - Check your SSN to see if someone else is using your social security number

Thanks for the info, when I get my reply from the FBI, if it's pertinent, I might just do that.

:soapbox:I do think that these Lifelock, etc, companies may just be contributing to the ID theft pandemic. Why should we have to pay someone to keep our lives secure? Just sounds like more Big Brother trying to control another chunck of your life to me... ok i'm done! LOL

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Just found out something else! I can't cancel the transaction and get my money OR my gun back until my appeals process is completed!! So my family has to stay unprotected because of some buearacrat who just HAD to push some phony BS legislation that does little to nothing to stop criminals from buying a firearm. They can't even keep their records straight!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom