• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The modern, American church has a misguided Romans 13 understanding, in my opinion.

It's really hard to read scripture without viewing it through our own lenses.

We in America have a history of defying authority when it conflicts with personal liberty. Which in some ways, makes following Christ hard.

In these times, with limited alternatives, there's lots of online bible study groups, so many church sermons on YouTube, plenty of time to read the Bible.
    Being a good Christian isn't determined by church attendance. Make no mistake - I long to be back with my church family in the same (large and spread out) room. But this situation really is temporary.

So, I urge you all brothers (and sisters), examine yourself - is you motive to meet again in a large group to be more Christ-like, or is to show that you're strong and cannot be controlled?

If it's truly the former, then pitter-patter, let's get at 'er.
    Our church reopens on the 24th, with double the number of services, and I'll be hiding in the sound booth as usual.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville

We in America have a history of defying authority when it conflicts with personal liberty. Which in some ways, makes following Christ hard.

In these times, with limited alternatives, there's lots of online bible study groups, so many church sermons on YouTube, plenty of time to read the Bible.
    Being a good Christian isn't determined by church attendance. Make no mistake - I long to be back with my church family in the same (large and spread out) room. But this situation really is temporary.

So, I urge you all brothers (and sisters), examine yourself - is you motive to meet again in a large group to be more Christ-like, or is to show that you're strong and cannot be controlled?

Our church reopens on the 24th, with double the number of services, and I'll be hiding in the sound booth as usual.

Very good question. I needed to hear it and contemplate it. Everyone spouting about it should consider this. It is a powerful reminder of why I follow Him, and it has to do with a freedom that only Christ can grant, and it cannot be taken away by man or government.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    This stupidity has to end sometime.
    And no, I do not believe the Governor, or anyone else has the legal authority to do what they are doing.
    They write laws to give themselves powers that are not enumerated ANYWHERE, and are therefore unconstitutional.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

Church is not a building. The people are the church.

The word “church” is translated from the Greek word ekklesia. It literally means, 1. a gathering of citizens called out from their homes into some public place. 2. An assembly of the people convened at the public place of the council for the purpose of deliberating.

Matthew 16:18 says, "I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it."

Acts 20:28 says, “So guard yourselves and God’s people. Feed and shepherd God’s flock-his church, purchased with his own blood.”

If the governor says that church is essential then by definition he should not prevent the people from gathering. And the last time I checked, the coronavirus was less powerful than the gates of Hades.

My church will be gathering for services tomorrow. Here are the details if anyone is interested in coming. ITOWN Church - Home

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Of course, why one attends church anytime is up for questioning. Are you doing it to worship and learn? Are you doing it for other (worldly) reasons?

The disciples didn’t stop their ministry when told to. They didn’t obey the authorities’ edicts. Romans allowed themselves to be used as torches rather than obey the emporers’ commands to the contrary. On on and on... History is full of times where people didn’t simply obey their government’s authority and go along. I’m probably missing something but this view that we should sheepishly obey the governors’ commands because we’re commanded to by scripture is misguided. Either that or our ancestors in the faith were.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Of course, why one attends church anytime is up for questioning. Are you doing it to worship and learn? Are you doing it for other (worldly) reasons?

The disciples didn’t stop their ministry when told to. They didn’t obey the authorities’ edicts. Romans allowed themselves to be used as torches rather than obey the emporers’ commands to the contrary. On on and on... History is full of times where people didn’t simply obey their government’s authority and go along. I’m probably missing something but this view that we should sheepishly obey the governors’ commands because we’re commanded to by scripture is misguided. Either that or our ancestors in the faith were.

Let's not pretend that Gov Holcomb is trying to destroy Christianity in any manner similar to Nero. No one is tell you that you can't proclaim the gospel, can't sit in the park and pray, etc., etc.

And if you want to be authentic to the church at that time, then meet in homes as a small group till this blows over.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Let's not pretend that Gov Holcomb is trying to destroy Christianity in any manner similar to Nero. No one is tell you that you can't proclaim the gospel, can't sit in the park and pray, etc., etc.

And if you want to be authentic to the church at that time, then meet in homes as a small group till this blows over.

Ok

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Im going to have to call BS on that one... Unless he himself just doesnt enjoy attending and is looking for an excuse. I know for a fact that he attends (attended) church regularly. He does so in the church I grew up in. And my mom still attends and is very active there. So unless you know some secret squrrel info I dont, you are way off base.

Do I agree with him? No. Do I think you are tilting at windmills with that statement? ABSOLUTELY.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Im going to have to call BS on that one... Unless he himself just doesnt enjoy attending and is looking for an excuse. I know for a fact that he attends (attended) church regularly. He does so in the church I grew up in. And my mom still attends and is very active there. So unless you know some secret squrrel info I dont, you are way off base.

Do I agree with him? No. Do I think you are tilting at windmills with that statement? ABSOLUTELY.

thinking you misread that??

Top Bottom