• Poll closed .

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I received my mail in ballot application today. I'm not sure which way to jump on this?

Mail in seems like a way to go. My precinct voting is normally right down the road, but this time it's miles away on the north end of a fairly big city. On top of that it's in a huge church and a LOT of other precincts are using the same location.

Upon looking at my ballot online, I'm not real sure I even need to bother voting in the primary? If there was a challenger for the Governor's seat, I'd drive to Indy and swim through a sea of bodies to get the current one out. Alas, there is not.

As far as local seats, not much to choose from.

What's the rest of INGO doing on voting in the primaries?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm in a similar situation. Normal voting place is not listed and the nearest one is a lot farther away. Not sure if I trust the mail in ballot though... :dunno:

sdfitz35

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I'm using the primary to test our voting by mail system. I am hoping enough people us this option to test the system on the off chance it is needed for the general election. Not that I have a lot of faith that they will work out any bugs but maybe they will be able to work out some.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm using the primary to test our voting by mail system. I am hoping enough people us this option to test the system on the off chance it is needed for the general election. Not that I have a lot of faith that they will work out any bugs but maybe they will be able to work out some.

I can in no way see this will be needed for the for the General. Nope. No way.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have no faith in mail in. Many times in the past there have been reports of absentee ballots being lost or not counted at all.

30,000 e mails and all of that.

Of course I am not at all happy with the electronic system either.

:tinfoil:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think the mail in ballot system is ripe for fraud. Especially for the crowd that tells us that voter identification requirements are racist. They've been getting away with voter fraud for years.

That said, there's not a lot to lose to fraud in this primary.

Side note - Is there a way we can find someone to vote for besides the current governor? And NO, the party of gun control is not an option...

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I don't trust that the computer and mail in votes are safer from manipulation and fraud. While the in person systems may not be perfect, I feel they are less prone to fraud. So, in person I'll be, with my mask, ink pen, and hand sanitizer.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    At the polls on Election Day. I voted absentee a lot of years. Even filled out my ballot on the windowsill of the post office in Iceland and mailed it right back. I will be at the polls, it’s kind of a thing.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    There are some key open seats in my district with Susan Brooks leaving the house. That trickles down to filling a State Senate seat since Victoria Spartz is running to replace Brooks.

Absentee ballot is one thing, but the less we normalize mail in ballots the better.

Democrats will point to this election and say, "see. We should be doing it by mail in vote." We don't need to give them any help making it easier. Get to the polls in person.

People have died fighting for the right to vote. In some countries voters risk being executed or bombed on the way to the polls, and they show up in person. We should at least be willing to venture out of our hidey holes in the face of Wu Flu to cast a ballot.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There are some key open seats in my district with Susan Brooks leaving the house. That trickles down to filling a State Senate seat since Victoria Spartz is running to replace Brooks.

Absentee ballot is one thing, but the less we normalize mail in ballots the better.

Democrats will point to this election and say, "see. We should be doing it by mail in vote." We don't need to give them any help making it easier. Get to the polls in person.

People have died fighting for the right to vote. In some countries voters risk being executed or bombed on the way to the polls, and they show up in person. We should at least be willing to venture out of our hidey holes in the face of Wu Flu to cast a ballot.

I agree 100%. Absentee voting (which is what this amounts to) should be reserved for those that truly can't make it to the polls because they're out of state (ie. military members, etc.), or physically disabled to the point that they can't make it, not for those that are too "scared" or can't be bothered to make it to the polls. If either of the latter situations (scared or can't be bothered), then sorry 'bout your luck. Put your mask on if you must, and, as Tallahassee said in Zombie Land, "Nut up or shut up."

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    My wife and I used to run a polling place and we are familiar with how the system worked and it was safe. I'm not saying there couldn't be cheating but it would have to be done by a declared Republican and a Democrat in consert at the poll.
    Anyway, we've been voting absentee for many years now and had no problems.
    This year we have multiple candidates for several offices and most of them we know nothing about, so it's going to be hard to pick the best ones from the group. It looks like it will require a lot of research.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My wife and I used to run a polling place and we are familiar with how the system worked and it was safe. I'm not saying there couldn't be cheating but it would have to be done by a declared Republican and a Democrat in consert at the poll.
    Anyway, we've been voting absentee for many years now and had no problems.
    This year we have multiple candidates for several offices and most of them we know nothing about, so it's going to be hard to pick the best ones from the group. It looks like it will require a lot of research.

That you know of... Of course I suppose it would be difficult to tell if there were "problems" without an extensive audit of the whole process, both absentee and in person. It just seems that there have indeed been more problems with absentee votes than with traditional voting.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

They should just delay the general election until it's "safe" to return to the polls.

I bet corona would disappear tomorrow.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They should just delay the general election until it's "safe" to return to the polls.

I bet corona would disappear tomorrow.

Trump should totally troll everyone at one of his pressers. He could say something like, "I understand that a lot of people are saying that I'm in too big of a hurry to open things up. Well I've heard you America. With that in mind, I have decided to postpone the 2020 elections indefinitely, until we are sure that it is safe to conduct them in person." Heads would explode. It would be delicious.

Top Bottom