Continuing to redefine words, now they redefine "Karen".

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So, the "OK" sign is racist, and a few other words have been redefined, and now it's...\
    KAREN.

[video=youtube;IXqr4_426lY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXqr4_426lY[/video]

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Well, *I'm* redefining "Karen" as the Shannon Watts Moms Demand Attention types.

So there, just you try and stop me.

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'm so over the Karen thing already. I've been called Karen on social media several times just because someone disagreed with me. It already has evolved beyond the "whistleblower" meaning.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, the "OK" sign is racist, and a few other words have been redefined, and now it's...\
    KAREN.

[video=youtube;IXqr4_426lY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXqr4_426lY[/video]

Is there a TL/DW for this? Maybe a link for the article she's referencing?

I'm so over the Karen thing already. I've been called Karen on social media several times just because someone disagreed with me. It already has evolved beyond the "whistleblower" meaning.
    Agreed. It's getting overused and misused, a la "snowflake". Even labeling whistleblowers as Karen is a misuse. I'd argue that it's not just "the left" redefining it, but everyone (but hey, you gotta get those YouTube "likes" for you're commentary channel...)

Karen, is that entitled white ***** that thinks that all retail and service establishments should cater to her whim. And when they don't, she'll throw a trantrum when speaking to the manager.

That's the original meaning.

It's conceivable that Karen would go to Menards and demand that she be allowed to shop without a face mask.

EDIT: It seems the talking head has a vested interest in maintaining the definition as she's made it. Always follow the money, right?

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Like so many other words/labels they loose the intended effect.

Such is the course of a living language. Fad words pop up, they morph, they continue, or change, or die...

It's a derogatory word that hip right now, everyone is going to employ it to degrade what they want to mock.

It was first bent on Reddit to mock anti-vaxxers, so to see it morph again shouldn't be a surprise or even something to worry about.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

She's not a 'whistleblower', a Karen is a woman who can't get what she wants from a customer-facing employee so she tries to browbeat the employee into submission by escalating the complaint to the manager. The only thing necessary to put Karens on the trailer would be for the manager to back up his/her employee and explain to Karen why she cannot have what she wants, but managers usually just want the problem to go away so often undercut their employee and either give in entirely or proffer some other inducement to shut Karen up

What keeps the Karens rolling out the strategy again and again is that it works (for them)

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    She's not a 'whistleblower', a Karen is a woman who can't get what she wants from a customer-facing employee so she tries to browbeat the employee into submission by escalating the complaint to the manager. The only thing necessary to put Karens on the trailer would be for the manager to back up his/her employee and explain to Karen why she cannot have what she wants, but managers usually just want the problem to go away so often undercut their employee and either give in entirely or proffer some other inducement to shut Karen up

What keeps the Karens rolling out the strategy again and again is that it works (for them)

This is just totally wrong on so many levels. With the incompetence companies put on the front lines it is more often that they are in the wrong. They don't know allowed substitutions or deletions etc. often going completely against what the training says. Nothing wrong with getting a manager involved. Why is that even a negative thing? No wonder we are such pu****s in the minds of much of the world that haggles over every cup of coffee.

A general rant!

And this Karen bit, every real life Karen I have met was a sweet girl. I'm sure there are exceptions as there are bad folks with all popular names, including Jesus. Why sully the name Karen with this childish name calling. There is just no logical reason to do so. It might be slightly different if there was a real life case of a person named Karen doing something to become the poster child for this but all I can see is a bunch of keyboard warriors started what is just ridiculous...

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana

There are different 'incarnations'. Karen is also the one calling the police on everybody

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Bug is right.
    gy2FCMK.jpg

Here's a Caren (actual name)
    [video=youtube_share;S6vlu1FRaic]http://youtu.be/S6vlu1FRaic[/video]

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This is just totally wrong on so many levels. With the incompetence companies put on the front lines it is more often that they are in the wrong. They don't know allowed substitutions or deletions etc. often going completely against what the training says. Nothing wrong with getting a manager involved. Why is that even a negative thing? No wonder we are such pu****s in the minds of much of the world that haggles over every cup of coffee.

A general rant!

And this Karen bit, every real life Karen I have met was a sweet girl. I'm sure there are exceptions as there are bad folks with all popular names, including Jesus. Why sully the name Karen with this childish name calling. There is just no logical reason to do so. It might be slightly different if there was a real life case of a person named Karen doing something to become the poster child for this but all I can see is a bunch of keyboard warriors started what is just ridiculous...

Karen has just become a placeholder name for a specific type of person, it could have just as easily been some other girl's name. It's like gutter-bunny or Fred for people riding bicycles who don't know what they're doing, or indeed like Fudd for a certain type of gun owner - its a form of shorthand for a certain type of problem, giving it a name everyone implicitly understands

And during the rant, you forgot to castigate us for assuming Karen's gender

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Not buying it.

That article was light on citations, relying on one tweet from a SJW/ANTIFA Twit.
    But the definition is not determined by a dictionary or a 'source'. The definition is determined by its use. Vocabulary like this is constantly evolving, and there is not a 'correct' definition. The correct way to use it is whichever way(s) it's being used, and the whistleblower/tattletale is the only way I happen to have seen it used. I'm familiar with the "speak to the manager" Karen definition, but I have never personally seen it used that way.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    But the definition is not determined by a dictionary or a 'source'. The definition is determined by its use. Vocabulary like this is constantly evolving, and there is not a 'correct' definition. The correct way to use it is whichever way(s) it's being used, and the whistleblower/tattletale is the only way I happen to have seen it used. I'm familiar with the "speak to the manager" Karen definition, but I have never personally seen it used that way.

True - dictionaries only document how words are defined by society.

I've never heard of this "white woman tattling on black kids' lemonade stand"; I'm leery of that.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Karen has just become a placeholder name for a specific type of person, it could have just as easily been some other girl's name. It's like gutter-bunny or Fred for people riding bicycles who don't know what they're doing, or indeed like Fudd for a certain type of gun owner - its a form of shorthand for a certain type of problem, giving it a name everyone implicitly understands

And during the rant, you forgot to castigate us for assuming Karen's gender

It is just sad anyone has their name hijacked, even by society, as a placeholder for political squabbles...

And I thought it went without saying that assumption of a Karen's gender was beyond the pale... LOL

Top Bottom