• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    This past weekend, the Libertarian National Convention nominated Dr. Jo Jorgensen to be the Libertarian Presidential candidate for 2020. Spike Cohen was nominated as the Vice Presidential candidate.

https://reason.com/2020/05/23/jo-jorgensen-wins-libertarian-party-presidential-nomination/

The nomination portion of the convention was conducted entirely via Zoom, which made things interesting. But, after 3 days, the Pres/VP ticket was selected and the convention adjourned until July 8th, where the remainder of the convention is slated to occur in person, in Orlando, FL (assuming everything opens back up properly down there in time).

Dr. Jorgensen's campaign website: https://joj2020.com/

So let the monkey pile commence ("this election is too important to vote third party", "libertarians are jokes", <insert something about Bill Weld>, etc etc).

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I was interested in seeing who would win the Libertarian nomination. Vermin Supreme is their VP pick.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I was interested in seeing who would win the Libertarian nomination. Vermin Supreme is their VP pick.

Spike Cohen is the VP candidate. He was working with Vermin Supreme as a potential combined P/VP ticket. But he's a pretty different candidate than Vermin (not my preferred choice, which was John Monds, but I think Spike Cohen was selected as a unity ticket choice).

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Spike Cohen is the VP candidate. He was working with Vermin Supreme as a potential combined P/VP ticket. But he's a pretty different candidate than Vermin (not my preferred choice, which was John Monds, but I think Spike Cohen was selected as a unity ticket choice).
    My apologies, you are correct.

In my opinion, the Libertarians are having similar issues as the Democrats are having with Bernie, the Social Democrats, and the progressive wing of the party. Spike is an anarchist running as a Libertarian. It is hard to be taken seriously as a candidate when your platform includes ponies with unicorn conversion kits (sorry CM :): ). It's even harder when your party's convention is full of people screaming about Dobby the house elf.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    My apologies, you are correct.

In my opinion, the Libertarians are having similar issues as the Democrats are having with Bernie, the Social Democrats, and the progressive wing of the party. Spike is an anarchist running as a Libertarian. It is hard to be taken seriously as a candidate when your platform includes ponies with unicorn conversion kits (sorry CM :): ). It's even harder when your party's convention is full of people screaming about Dobby the house elf.

I should know, I was one of the delegates to the convention this weekend. :D

Yeah, there is definitely a very vocal anarchist group within the LP. It also doesn't help that there has been a bunch of infighting currently over the whole response to COVID-19 (among other things).

I was disappointed when Justin Amash decided not to actually run, but I can completely understand why. While he would have easily taken the nomination, it was so late in the cycle that his fund raising would be really hard (on top of doing it in the middle of a pandemic). I'm not clear if he is going to delve hardcore into his congressional re-election campaign. I hope so. It will be a tough uphill battle as the Republican Party has put a big target on his back. That being said, he seems to be pretty popular. Still, with a 3 way race, and 2 of the candidates sucking at the teat of the big parties, he's got his work cut out for him. Personally, I would think the Democrats would have been smarter to not to run a candidate and let Amash take on whoever wins the Republican primary. Sure Amash will agree more with the Republicans than Democrats, but taking away historically Republican would hurt the GOP (and might encourage more members of the GOP Liberty Caucus to jump ship).

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I was really impressed with Austin Peterson 4 years ago, whatever happened to him? I was disappointed to hear how the R's infiltrated the convention to nominate Johnson. At least they cared enough, that's something...

"The election is too important to not vote third party."

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I was really impressed with Austin Peterson 4 years ago, whatever happened to him? I was disappointed to hear how the R's infiltrated the convention to nominate Johnson. At least they cared enough, that's something...

"The election is too important to not vote third party."

Austin Petersen left the Libertarian Party to become a Republican and then lost the primary. So, he's done.

Top Bottom