Page 5 of 474 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Four Minneapolis officers fired after death of black man

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
    Four Minneapolis officers fired after death of black man

This doesn't look good. Lots of stupid about this one.

https://www.wthr.com/article/four-mi...eath-black-man

Video at this link: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/minneap...kneeling-neck/

Wow.... was this guy selling loose cigarettes?

User Info Menu

So are there some LEO's here to comment on whether or not what was done to George Floyd is unusual?

Watching the press coverage.
    Now I think the street organizers are at work.
    Which is why I wanted to ask the question.

User Info Menu

Honestly, I'm starting to doubt that there are a "few bad apples." There seem to be an awful lot more than a few and QI seems to let them all off the hook. I doubt these guys will stayed fired long as their union will swoop in and then they will have more "training." I have to go with the assumption that if people act like this on film, what they do off of film is worse.
    Everyone should own an Uzi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKBJ View Post
    So are there some LEO's here to comment on whether or not what was done to George Floyd is unusual?
    Unusual where? Policing and police culture is regional. I have no idea if it's unusual there. It would be very unusual here.

Quote Originally Posted by historian View Post
    I doubt these guys will stayed fired long as their union will swoop in and then they will have more "training."
    I think you're wrong and I suspect these guys acted well outside their training and protocols. Sometimes cops do things as they were trained and that training is outdated or just society has made what used to be ok not ok any longer. That's why there's qualified immunity. Somebody is the last guy to shoot a fleeing felon for being a fleeing felon when it's ok to but the court decides it's not any longer. Excited delirium and positional asphyxiation are not new to LE or LE training.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    I have to question why another officer didn't attempt to get the kneeling officer to back off and roll the suspect over or sit him up. Heck make an attempt to do the right thing...even if you have to lean in and say 'bro ease up they are video taping you'.
    You can only speculate. Maybe it's the culture there. Maybe some or all of the officers were focused on other tasks and didn't realize what was going on. See: Invisible Gorilla. There is generally a duty to intervene written into policy, though, it would be up to the officer to explain why he didn't.
    L'otters are not afraid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rkwhyte2 View Post
    I'm really sorry that this guy died but we don't know the full story and I always thought that if you could tell me you can't breath then how are you talking to me.
    Mental note: If being (partially) choked, don't try to say "I can't breath", just gasp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?
    Quote Originally Posted by printcraft View Post
    You would do well to avoid his "caramelized banana" trap offer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post
    Mental note: If being (partially) choked, don't try to say "I can't breath", just gasp.
    Play dead before you actually are dead....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    From my perspective there was failure to follow training. I have to question why another officer didn't attempt to get the kneeling officer to back off and roll the suspect over or sit him up. Heck make an attempt to do the right thing...even if you have to lean in and say 'bro ease up they are video taping you'. Even if he wasn't shutting off his own actions there appears to have been enough LE to get the guy to stand down and de escalate the situation. But nobody did that..even after the suspect clearly went limp. Again my perspective is knowing everyone has a video camera covering you partners six may require you to get someone else on scene to back off. In turn it may lessen the long term impact it may have on you and your career.
    There's a whole number of reasons why a what from the outside historical view appears clear, isn't to those in the middle.

LEO are often given "advice" by onlookers, e.g. "He didn't do nothing!", "Stop hurting him!", "Let him go!" I gotta imagine that you get to the point where you tune that out.

There's three other officers, so you probably have a crowd influence (forget the name of the bias): Jim is thinking, "Well, Joe isn't concern so I won't be." But at the same time Joe is thinking, "Well Jim hasn't said anything, so it must be all good."

Is there video leading up to this? How did the suspect act? What sort of mindset were the officers in?

Where is the full video posted? Every news story talks about a seven minute video, but then only shows a short snippet. And trying to find it on YouTube just leads to a bunch of talking head amateurs trying to make a buck off it.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

He looks pretty passive throughout. Maybe out of it (high on something?), but not really fighting.

Page 5 of 474 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 105 ... LastLast