Anybody Ask Where the Felon Got the Gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    When a perpetrator is found to be illegally possessing a firearm, does anyone ask who provided it?
    Is the person who provided a weapon to a prohibited person prosecuted?

CitizenX

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Tippecanoe
    I think I can remember a few times reading about such things in the news. It was usually stemmed from someone committing a heinous crime with a firearm. I'm sure the law talks about a person "knowingly" selling a firearm to a improper person is a huge no-no. Why you asking? ;)

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Why do I ask?
    Well, I get the impression that almost all of the "felon with a gun" and "minor with a gun" charges are dropped. I just wondered if the police made any effort to find the suppliers of illegal weapons and arrest them.
    I have not and will not ever sell or deliver a firearm to anyone I have reason to believe is a "prohibited person" or one who will use it to commit a crime.
    I just wondered if there was an effort to stem the supply of illegal guns.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Why do I ask?
    Well, I get the impression that almost all of the "felon with a gun" and "minor with a gun" charges are dropped. I just wondered if the police made any effort to find the suppliers of illegal weapons and arrest them.
    I have not and will not ever sell or deliver a firearm to anyone I have reason to believe is a "prohibited person" or one who will use it to commit a crime.
    If they do that how will they blame law abiding gun owners for the actions of criminals to push their gun control agenda?

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If they do that how will they blame law abiding gun owners for the actions of criminals to push their gun control agenda?

I suppose that restricting the "straw buyers" could also increase burglaries of gun owners and increase assaults on Police officers in attempts to steal their guns.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Why do I ask?

This can set up a very undesirable outcome. How much s**t do you personally want to deal with when your analysis of a buyer goes wrong? Now sure I want investigators to keep an eye out for those that repeatedly come up supplying bad guys guns illegally but not going after law abiding gun owners. That could make it so one would ever want sell a gun they no longer wanted for fear they might be wrong about the guy they are selling it to, even a friend.

IcemanIND

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 29, 2018
    Indianapolis
    There was a somewhat recent case in Zionsville, someone was found murdered on the local walking/biking trail. They linked the gun to someone who had made a few straw purchases for the murderer. I believe they found the gun at the scene, and traced it to the purchaser, who was on the autism spectrum so I don't think they prosecuted him
    https://fox59.com/news/crimetracker...dence-connect-man-to-zionsville-trail-murder/

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    When a perpetrator is found to be illegally possessing a firearm, does anyone ask who provided it?

I have often asked the same question lately. Felons and minors with a gun; it is illegal, so is anyone following up on state and federal charges on the possessor? Don't seem to be! Many of these guns must be stolen, as there is no way that they are all being purchased through the "legal" process. We never seem to hear from the media on the lack of charges or pursuit of the source of the guns unless there was a particularly terrible event and the media can use it to push their agenda. Maybe "we" need to start demanding that the police and prosecutors pursue the sources of these weapons. Maybe "we" need to protest the lack of enforcement of the existing laws.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    We do have examples of members here being contacted about a firearm that was stolen from from them years ago. I think they do try to follow up to some degree.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Why do I ask?

In most cases, there are no illegal guns. Only persons illegally in possession of a gun.

Outside of multiple straw purchase by a single individual, it is very difficult to prove intent to provide a handgun to a prohibited person. And once you sell or trade a gun, you have no clue what the person will do with that gun 5 years down the road. People change.

"Felon with a gun" charges have nothing to do with whoever provided the gun to the person. Let's keep the blame where it really belongs.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Sorry if my language was imprecise.
    Not "illegal guns," guns illegally possessed.
    I believe it is illegal in Indiana to sell or deliver a firearm to a person you have reason to believe cannot legally possess it or you have reason to believe will use it in the commission of a crime. Thus, if the buyer looks like he's 13 and/or he says, "I'm glad to get this; now I can rob that gas station," you probably shouldn't sell it or loan it to him.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I believe it is illegal in Indiana to sell or deliver a firearm to a person you have reason to believe cannot legally possess it or you have reason to believe will use it in the commission of a crime. Thus, if the buyer looks like he's 13 and/or he says, "I'm glad to get this; now I can rob that gas station," you probably shouldn't sell it or loan it to him.

No ****? :):

That's a pretty obvious case. Anybody in your life that you though you knew well ever surprise you with their actions?

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    My daughter went to school (Warren Central) with and knew at least one of the young men who were in the car with Michael Shannon who shot
    Deputy Jason Baker in 2001.
    One schoolmate of hers
    20 year old Josh Meadows who was not with them but had provided the rifles to Shannon was sentenced to the maximum (40 years) for doing so.
    Another schoolmate 20 year old
    Alan Dumperth
    was killed in a shootout with police that night.
    Shannon the shooter was sentenced to life without parole.
    Supposedly they were on there way to shoot up a Mosque in Plainfield in
    retribution for the September 11
    attacks.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    "Where'd you get the gun you possessed illegally?"

"Let me rephrase, would you like to waive your right against self-incrimination and provide additional evidence against yourself?.

"Here's a bonus, maybe you will really **** off some people who may then want to cause you moderate to severe bodily harm."

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    "Where'd you get the gun you possessed illegally?"

"Let me rephrase, would you like to waive your right against self-incrimination and provide additional evidence against yourself?.

"Here's a bonus, maybe you will really **** off some people who may then want to cause you moderate to severe bodily harm."

Idunno. With all those benefits I don’t know why more criminals don’t just say where they got their guns. :dunno: You make it sound so win/win.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Big city prosecutors are all dems. They don't care about your gun, my gun or a felon's gun. They want all guns gone.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    ATF agents will contact the FFL on the form 4473 and may visit the original owner, depending on purchasing style, buying multiples, etc.

Top Bottom