• ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    immune.jpg

The bill requires a political subdivision of the state to indemnify its employees for such a claim; except that if the peace officer’s employer determines the officer did not act upon a good faith and reasonable belief that the action was lawful, then the peace officer is personally liable for 5 percent of the judgment or $25,000, whichever is less, unless the judgment is uncollectible from the officer, then the officer’s employer satisfies the whole judgment.

https://lawandcrime.com/george-floy...ended-qualified-immunity-for-police-officers/

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I wonder how many days it'll be before every cop in the state resigns.

Qualified immunity is pretty much a requirement to carry out policing in any capacity. It's one of the only reasons they can get away with things we can't in a citizen arrest.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Good luck to the Gov’ner and the legislature when the have to get out and police their state.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I did not realize that qualified immunity was for civil rights cases.

I'm thinking this isn't the end of the world it is being made out to be.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    immune.jpg

The bill requires a political subdivision of the state to indemnify its employees for such a claim; except that if the peace officer’s employer determines the officer did not act upon a good faith and reasonable belief that the action was lawful, then the peace officer is personally liable for 5 percent of the judgment or $25,000, whichever is less, unless the judgment is uncollectible from the officer, then the officer’s employer satisfies the whole judgment.

https://lawandcrime.com/george-floy...ended-qualified-immunity-for-police-officers/

I think qualified immunity should be nerfed a bit, but reading the article, this looks to go too far.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Seems like those who were dissuaded from filing frivolous lawsuits for hurt feelings will now have free reign. I sure wouldn't want to be a cop in Colorado.

Then again, I wouldn't want to be a cop anywhere right now.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Seems like those who were dissuaded from filing frivolous lawsuits for hurt feelings will now have free reign. I sure wouldn't want to be a cop in Colorado.

Then again, I wouldn't want to be a cop anywhere right now.

I'm sure there are plenty of Ken Nunn-types out there who already have new commercials and bus ads.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    When I was watching the hunger games, or divergent, or running man...etc, I wondered how the people running things got into their positions of power.

I am finding my answer.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I think the answer to all of this will probably end up coming from the Supreme Court after a long and very expensive legal road.

Always follow the money

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Qualified immunity came from SCOTUS. Seems like this would only apply at the state level. QI would still apply to Federal lawsuits. Just another feel-good measure that will only hurt public safety.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Huh... Aren’t most complaints just “settled” to “make them go away”? This will be interesting to see how the officers adapt to this to minimize the complaints they get on them.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Huh... Aren’t most complaints just “settled” to “make them go away”? This will be interesting to see how the officers adapt to this to minimize the complaints they get on them.

If I were still on the job I would have already chased, raised my voice to or placed handcuffs on the last suspect I ever would. If someone isn't willing to handcuff themselves they wouldn't be going to jail.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If I were still on the job I would have already chased, raised my voice to or placed handcuffs on the last suspect I ever would. If someone isn't willing to handcuff themselves they wouldn't be going to jail.

Wait, so you're saying no more curb stomping? Well crap. :(

Top Bottom