• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Simply taking roles and reversing them is not creative and serves no purpose. In fact, by making something like this where historic black and white roles are reversed, and the minority is still treated horribly, is almost an argument that racism is inevitable.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    So, this series assumes that Africa is not mired in tribalism and failure but Europe was...

I read a novel a while ago which actually did a pretty good job with this general premise. In the alternate universe, Islam had a reformation but Christianity did not. Made for some interesting speculation given early eastern advances in science, medecine, etc.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I thought “Cracker” is to whites as “N*****” is to blacks. How can they get away with using such a RACIST word?

I heard both words in the trailer.

...which is confusing as all get out... what's the premise of this show?

And I watched South Park, season 11 ep 1 the other night - I lost count of how many times they uttered that word. At the time, it was pretty widely praised for how it dealt with the subject.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Simply taking roles and reversing them is not creative and serves no purpose. In fact, by making something like this where historic black and white roles are reversed, and the minority is still treated horribly, is almost an argument that racism is inevitable.

Is that incorrect?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Word of the day: agitprop (from the Russian: агитпроп)

noun
    1. agitation and propaganda, especially for the cause of communism.
    2. (often initial capital letter) an agency or department, as of a government, that directs and coordinates agitation and propaganda.
    3. Also ag·it·prop·ist. a person who is trained or takes part in such activities.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    For those that don't know what you're referencing, that's The Clansman: A Historical Romance of the Ku Klux Klan, by Thomas Dixon Jr.

And I'm really, really curious as to why you think it's a good book.

I haven't read it, but I have seen Birth of a Nation, and "good" would not be a an adjective I'd reach for when describing the message presented.

It's interesting that you would even ask such a question. I'd be interested in knowing what you consider a good book. Or, for that matter, a bad book. Try thinking for a moment about what it may be that you seek when you read a book. For me it is something to think about whether it might be Green's Interlinear, Honor Harrington brain candy or a compendium of other people's belief systems such as The Golden Bough. And to answer your question, until we're allowed to use some time machine that the skunk works puts together it is only by study of the works, primarily writings, from days gone by that we can understand where we have come from, what and how they thought. That's what makes a book a good book.

But in the case of that particular book, it's also entertaining in its own realm and for that reason it hasn't been culled. I found it in a charity resale shop for unwed mothers in Jasper, Alabama about the time the people were being murdered at Waco, TX. I remember that because the victory roast was on every monitor in Hartsfield International. Also found there the published memoirs of CSA general, hardly worn, leather bound with color plates. Some grandkids done thow'd it out when Granny died. I donated it to a museum. Another good one was a three inch thick volume of the families who run this planet with a pretty cool fold out family tree chart. Hmm, let's see now, who really was the 39th president's daddy?

Hope that answered your question.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It's interesting that you would even ask such a question. I'd be interested in knowing what you consider a good book. Or, for that matter, a bad book. Try thinking for a moment about what it may be that you seek when you read a book. For me it is something to think about whether it might be Green's Interlinear, Honor Harrington brain candy or a compendium of other people's belief systems such as The Golden Bough. And to answer your question, until we're allowed to use some time machine that the skunk works puts together it is only by study of the works, primarily writings, from days gone by that we can understand where we have come from, what and how they thought. That's what makes a book a good book.

But in the case of that particular book, it's also entertaining in its own realm and for that reason it hasn't been culled. I found it in a charity resale shop for unwed mothers in Jasper, Alabama about the time the people were being murdered at Waco, TX. I remember that because the victory roast was on every monitor in Hartsfield International. Also found there the published memoirs of CSA general, hardly worn, leather bound with color plates. Some grandkids done thow'd it out when Granny died. I donated it to a museum. Another good one was a three inch thick volume of the families who run this planet with a pretty cool fold out family tree chart. Hmm, let's see now, who really was the 39th president's daddy?

I asked the question because you posted a picture of a book purportedly replete with white supremacist themes and said, "a good book".

OK, so you're a well read man, that's super, but given some of the other stuff you post, it's not beyond the pale to wonder if you're promoting this book's ideas. If it was anyone else, I would have inferred that the post was sarcastic.

And since you've read it, how is it a good book? Is the writing on par with classical literature, or just good enough to be readabled? Are the ideas complex and thought provoking, or merely racist drivel?

And since you asked, I mostly read non-fiction, so the books that I would label as good, are well written and tend to take me forever to read because my mind macerates each paragraph more than a cow and it's cud. I seek out things I might find interesting and will help me out in life. I have no time for (racist) propaganda. ... well, there was this one time where I was looking into how the church was dealing with the issue of slavery where I found a book, I believe written by a minister... I was physically distressed by the content of the pages. Not good.

For reference, I have a Book of Mormon - it's crap. Ignoring the theology, I found the writing stilted, the direction and stories meander pointlessly... definitely not good.

Hope that answered your question.
    Well, you sort of danced around it.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    JettaKnight,
    That's the kind of answer that I expected because of the manner you regularly display, as surely reflect your needs and of a certainty your prejudices. Having obtained to providing you the opportunity for civil behavior I will now return to my regular manner; ignoring you, speaking past you or just having a good laugh as may be appropriate. And now I'll spend the balance of my evening preparing a report for some good people in Baton Rouge.
    So long.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    JettaKnight,
    That's the kind of answer that I expected because of the manner you regularly display, as surely reflect your needs and of a certainty your prejudices. Having obtained to providing you the opportunity for civil behavior I will now return to my regular manner; ignoring you, speaking past you or just having a good laugh as may be appropriate. And now I'll spend the balance of my evening preparing a report for some good people in Baton Rouge.
    So long.

Good people in Baton Rouge? They once had slaves there, so you're either wrong, or an obvious racist!

Apply purple wherever it need be.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    JettaKnight,
    So long.

893c262fb22028b73d2d4868ecdcbff7.gif

Top Bottom