• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCINDIANA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Michigan City
    Today the House Dems voted to make DC a state. It will not pass in the Senate and if it did, Trump will veto it. The Dems continue to do whatever it takes to gain control.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    As far as I'm aware, DC is constitutionally bound NOT to be a state for reasons of bias.

This has to be the most absurd campaign ever, and should tell you the polls aren't right if they're this terrified.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    If you're into podcasts, Malcolm Gladwell's "Revisionist History" had an episode on this issue, discussing the constitutionality of splitting a state (discussing both DC and Texas)

(Season 3, Episode 1, "Divide and Conquer")

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    At this time DC has sort of a congressperson actually a delegate with limited voting privileges and happens to be a democrat currently serving since 1991. So this move would give them a real congresscritter and two senators with no doubt that all will be democrats. Good strategy, if you can't win the majority in the senate just change the rules. Jim.

jspy5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Southern Marion County
    At this time DC has sort of a congressperson actually a delegate with limited voting privileges and happens to be a democrat currently serving since 1991. So this move would give them a real congresscritter and two senators with no doubt that all will be democrats. Good strategy, if you can't win the majority in the senate just change the rules. Jim.

Bingo ! First rule is always move the goal posts to suit your needs.....or cause.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Isn’t statehood required to obtain 2/3rds of both the House and Senate before it goes to the President for approval? If the House got more than 2/3 yes votes, who were the RINOs agreeing to that?

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Unfortunately, this is going to be a "It'll give them more Democrat votes, so we shouldn't do it" issue... if Puerto Rico could be brought in with Republican votes, it'll all probably happen.

All the while, we will completely miss the power of the party over the people.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I hope you're right. I'm really starting to fear for the future of my children.

It's going to eventually end in a war, one way or the other, unless the system is changed so that smaller regions are more autonomous and free of being ruled over by people who are radically different politically.

Absolutely inevitable at this point.

If you think things will go back to normal, you're being wishful. They may calm down for a period of time, but this has been ratcheting up every day for decades now.

Clark & Addison

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2019
    Gibson County
    It's going to eventually end in a war, one way or the other, unless the system is changed so that smaller regions are more autonomous and free of being ruled over by people who are radically different politically.

Absolutely inevitable at this point.

If you think things will go back to normal, you're being wishful. They may calm down for a period of time, but this has been ratcheting up every day for decades now.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. My pre-teen son has taken an interest in the Civil War since school has been out in March (read a dozen or more books on it in the last few months). Even at his age he can see the makings of war.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    That's exactly what I'm afraid of. My pre-teen son has taken an interest in the Civil War since school has been out in March (read a dozen or more books on it in the last few months). Even at his age he can see the makings of war.

Get a few years of food put back, make sure your family is in shape, have plenty of ammo and train regularly. It's the only real precaution you can take as it's outside of your control.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    As far as I'm aware, DC is constitutionally bound NOT to be a state for reasons of bias...

I'm not a Constitutional expert on the issue of statehood, but I think what you stated above is the argument against D.C. being absorbed into Maryland or VA, not necessarily against them becoming their own individual state. It was considered a matter of "representation," and detractors of the idea simply waved that away by saying, "Fine, allow yourself to be absorbed into Maryland and get represented thusly." So that's when the issue of "independence" arose, ie, not wanting the nation's capitol to be subject to the edicts of some state legislature. If they became their own state, it meets all the liberal requirements. You've added another level of government besides the Mayor and locals, but it's constituted by nobody outside of the city.

Now, you and I know it's about packing the Electoral College. But that's what law and politics is these days - accomplishing what everybody knows you want to do, but doing it under different auspices and citing different justifications.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Isn’t statehood required to obtain 2/3rds of both the House and Senate before it goes to the President for approval? If the House got more than 2/3 yes votes, who were the RINOs agreeing to that?

Imagine if you will, there's a new president, a new senate, and new rules for voting.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    If they can’t win by playing by the rules they just change the rules. It’s their MO
    And then they whine and ***** when their rule changes bite them in ass--like "biden's rule" about presidents not being allowed to appoint SCOTUS justices in an election year

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Can you have a state that doesn't produce any wealth? Well, yeah, reckon as a state DC wouldn't be the first that was a net loss. But it's such a strange place. The giant phallus projecting up out of the vesica piscis with the reflecting pool to provide the as-above-so-below imagery, the big black stylized dividers wall, the giant pentagram, the Apotheosis Of Washington, the fasces incorporated into the buildings' facades, the map (nobody notices it's the same as the marks at the Potomac canal channels?), buildings and streets layouts...
    Really, who could imagine it not being the center of power?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom