Page 183 of 294 FirstFirst ... 83 133 173 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 193 233 283 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,830 of 2937

Thread: To Mask or Not to Mask?

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post
    Looking at the deaths nationally, the curve was indeed flattened. As of about mid-July, there appears to be an oncoming steepness.
    I feel like a lot of states shut down too soon also, so instead of flattening the curve they cut it off entirely, and now are left with no political capital or social will to lock down again

Had we done smaller-scale "rolling lockdowns" it would have flattened the economic curve as well, instead of everyone being unemployed at once

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post
    Wait, you mean to tell me that there may have been a lack of knowledge about how to combat the spread of this novel virus with a surgical precision that would be as minimally invasive when it first started that has led to an adjustment of strategies over time?

I'm shocked! Shocked and dismayed.

There must be a conspiracy afoot!

Oh, and that flattened curve that started to rise again when we started to open up? Ignore that too.

Please. Seriously. Ignore that.
    I would ask if it started to rise again 2 to 3 weeks after you opened up, or 2 to 3 weeks after large crowds of rioters gathered in select cities. Doesn't Indiana have county by county case figures? If so, what is the level of correlation between presence of riots and corona virus spikes. Do the rural counties with no BLM action also show a spike?
    Just because individuals make poor decisions it doesn't mean governments make better ones

User Info Menu

Oh, it's annoying and in many cases arbitrary, but not necessarily useless...and I've got better things to complain about..
    true, not useless. sort of like if I didn't want to get bit by a mosquito I'd put a bandaid on one ankle so I didn't get bit under it.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

Love them as if you'll lose them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamil View Post
    Nothing? You're saying they've gained zero knowledge.
    This is a perfect analog for the mask argument

They haven't gained zero knowledge but they obviously haven't gained useful knowledge (the standard from my post you quoted. How have they made use of the extra time given - the implication that the focus should be on solving the problem or at least discerning a useful next step) either

Masks aren't actually useless, just functionally so
    Just because individuals make poor decisions it doesn't mean governments make better ones

User Info Menu

the crap of it is... they used up all public goodwill when they shut down cities with minimal covid in them. now that's moving locations those new areas are tired of the lockdown and staying open

I daresay the lack of compliance is due to the dumbass closures when it wasn't in their community

"the Russians are invading NYC!!! Fire our cannon!!!"

but sir, we're in Texas

"We must fire now or we're doomed!"

sir, there are no targets

"FIRE!"

four months later

"Russians are outside Houston! Fire the cannon!"

sir, we're out of balls and powder. shot them all four months ago...
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

Love them as if you'll lose them.

Master

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    the crap of it is... they used up all public goodwill when they shut down cities with minimal covid in them. now that's moving locations those new areas are tired of the lockdown and staying open

I daresay the lack of compliance is due to the dumbass closures when it wasn't in their community

but sir, we're in Texas

"FIRE!"

four months later

Awesome post!

Rep sent...

User Info Menu

Wait, you mean to tell me that there may have been a lack of knowledge about how to combat the spread of this novel virus with a surgical precision that would be as minimally invasive when it first started that has led to an adjustment of strategies over time?

I'm shocked! Shocked and dismayed.

There must be a conspiracy afoot!

Oh, and that flattened curve that started to rise again when we started to open up? Ignore that too.

Please. Seriously. Ignore that.
    Italy has been open for months, yet they were one of the hardest hit initially.

Why is Italy not experiencing a second wave? No mask mandates, nothing is closed, people going about as normal right now...

Matter of fact, the US is the only country that appears to be experiencing a "second wave." Care to explain why that is?

I wasn't under the impression that viruses were aware of nationality.
    Do not interrupt your enemy while they are making a mistake.

Master

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post

but sir, we're in Texas

"FIRE!"

four months later

I don't necessarily disagree but one of the goals of the closures was to buy time to ramp up PPE and testing. Some areas did better than others at that preparation.
    When case numbers are low, testing and asking exposed people to quarantine can be more effective.
    Last edited by dusty88; 07-30-2020 at 19:35.

User Info Menu

Dana Loesch

"Be reasonably concerned, but donít be a maskhole . . . "

User Info Menu

I work at Cook County Hospital as Contractor, Ever since this **** started it'd been like ghost town, like walking in a Xmas Morning? I really believe it's purely political!
    PS they laid off 25 nurses to boot!