• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I hear ya, but I can't believe we can't put a stop to begging for crying out loud. Liberal piece of excrement judge.

Last edited:

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    I do agree that regulating someone asking for something seems like a violation of the First Amendment. They're welcome to ask, people are welcome to say no and move along. I understand it can be uncomfortable for people to interact with those who are asking for money, but I don't think that's a reason to make the action illegal.

If they threaten you when asking for money, that would be more akin to robbery and should obviously be reported and dealt with accordingly.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I personally don't see begging as a first amendment issue. It's more of a public safety issue in my eyes. The public deserves to be able to walk down the street without being accosted every other corner by someone begging for money. It's especially irritating when you see numerous documentaries showing that a number of these individuals are perfectly healthy and able to work, but would rather get something for free from other hardworking people. I still remember a news story back in the day where an undercover news crew followed some of these people going back to nice homes in good neighborhoods, driving luxury cars or trucks. Not saying that's all of them, but I wouldn't give a nickel to anyone looking for free anything.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Aggressive panhandlers are a societal disease. They didn't pay the taxes for the space they use to accost you, they didn't pay for the store front they are polluting and they don't employ anyone. Many of them make more money from being a societal leach than some of the people that they take it from who work for a living.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Learn to say no or say nothing at all and walk on by. There are a couple of them, though, on the west side that I've befriended a bit. One guy has no legs from the knees down and is a war vet. Others are just nice. Some aren't. My wife had one curse at her when she ignored his begging at a stoplight. I've been looking for him to have a chat, but haven't found him, so I think he's gone somewhere else or may have gotten into some trouble. I doubt she's the only one he's accosted.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    We have panhandling and homelessness in spades in our wonderful Bloomington. I was surprised when our mayor asked the citizens to NOT give money to them. He even put up signs around the city informing not to. So the panhandlers took the signs down, lol.

Supposedly they are allowed to ask, but not engage in a conversation. Ask, if denied, go your way and leave the folks alone.

If I was a business owner downtown I would be furious that the city lets especially the homeless lay around on the sidewalks causing people to have to step over them or go around. Doesn't make me want to patronize those businesses and I bet I'm not the only one.

Bloomington is actually a neat little town with some nice places to go. Too bad it has that one big wart with the panhandlers/homeless.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I personally don't see begging as a first amendment issue. It's more of a public safety issue in my eyes. The public deserves to be able to walk down the street without being accosted every other corner by someone begging for money. It's especially irritating when you see numerous documentaries showing that a number of these individuals are perfectly healthy and able to work, but would rather get something for free from other hardworking people. I still remember a news story back in the day where an undercover news crew followed some of these people going back to nice homes in good neighborhoods, driving luxury cars or trucks. Not saying that's all of them, but I wouldn't give a nickel to anyone looking for free anything.

I think TV 8 did a hidden camera expose and found that all the panhandlers at 86th and Keystone had a vehicle nearby, and went to a home somewhere. One woman was yelling at the crew when they tried to ask her questions saying it was her sisters house. Those followed were very ticked to be found out.

I recall a Dallas reporter going undercover and bringing in $33,000 in six months. Since it is cash and tax free that is near a $100,000 income. I am not saying they all make that much but then they can add all the public assistance to that.

No matter the number of programs do-gooders try to implement they can never exceed the value of the panhandling, see, even the homeless understand capitalism...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I talked to a guy who knew one of the local panhandlers. He had a thriving seamless gutter business but lost it all when he started drinking too much. Lost his family, house, ended up on the streets.

He has been sober for over 2 years now and when asked by my friend why doesn't he start his business back up, his response was that then he would have to start paying alimony. And taxes.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

As I recall, most of those were not in downtown areas. The panhandlers I've seen downtown seemed to be legit homeless, mentally ill, or both; even so, I've never been made to feel unsafe.

I've worked downtown for years. While I have been approached occasionally, none were ever aggressive, most folks I've seen just silently sit there or shake their cups.

While I'm very much against government absconding with my money to featherbed a hammock out of the alleged safety net, I see no problem with individuals choosing to act charitably (regardless whether the recipients are in actual need or not) especially in a passive manner.

In short, I disagree. It is a First Amendment issue. Someone asking you for a dollar is not an assault, a battery, a robbery, or any other crime against your person. Being annoyed by someone because you find their life situation unpalatable shouldn't make that person a criminal. If they persist after you deny them or walk by, harassment could possibly come into play. You're free to deny or ignore them.

I pray I never have an opportunity for a better understanding of their situation. There, but for the grace of G_d, go I.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    State and Federal taxes should done by the fair tax system. Bums, hookers, illegals all would pay.

AND we would eliminate a HUGE corrupt chunk of money sucking government agencies.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Aggressive panhandlers are a societal disease. They didn't pay the taxes for the space they use to accost you, they didn't pay for the store front they are polluting and they don't employ anyone. Many of them make more money from being a societal leach than some of the people that they take it from who work for a living.

I hate them too, with a passion. But there is one point that needs made here.

Even people who don't pay taxes actually end up paying taxes anyway. Sales tax.

If people want to sit against a wall by a sidewalk with a sign and just rely on people throwing some money at them, I don't have a problem with it at all. But aggressive ones are really dangerous.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Some people feed squirrels in the park.

Some people foster cats.

And, not at all surprisingly...some people feel Commanded by Christ to pay pan-handlers.

The bleeding hearts who give money to these people are the reason the panhandlers are _there_. That's who you should be mad at, not the judge. The panhandlers do this because it pays. It pays, because of the bleeding-hearts. I have one friend who pays them. He cops to the fact he knows some of them are full of it. His justification? "If I give him $20, and it's a ripoff...that's on him, not me."

Well, not exactly. It's on him - and everybody else in the city he pan-handles, because people like you give him $20 a pop.

In California, you cannot eat in a sidewalk cafe without being bellowed at by panhandlers.

Between the refugee-lovers, the undocumented-defenders, and panhandler-payers, pretty soon every city in America will be California.

I will not be surprised to find we have several of these people on INGO. Stay tuned. We have seen the enemy, and as usual, he is us.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Some people feed squirrels in the park.

Some people foster cats.

And, not at all surprisingly...some people feel Commanded by Christ to pay pan-handlers.

The bleeding hearts who give money to these people are the reason the panhandlers are _there_. That's who you should be mad at, not the judge. The panhandlers do this because it pays. It pays, because of the bleeding-hearts. I have one friend who pays them. He cops to the fact he knows some of them are full of it. His justification? "If I give him $20, and it's a ripoff...that's on him, not me."

Well, not exactly. It's on him - and everybody else in the city he pan-handles, because people like you give him $20 a pop.

In California, you cannot eat in a sidewalk cafe without being bellowed at by panhandlers.

Between the refugee-lovers, the undocumented-defenders, and panhandler-payers, pretty soon every city in America will be California.

I will not be surprised to find we have several of these people on INGO. Stay tuned. We have seen the enemy, and as usual, he is us.

Yep, a bit of a slippery slope if you ask me. Sure, things aren't too bad now, but I bet there are cities in CA who thought the same thing years back. Now they're in the situation they're in. If we keep allowing this type of thing, it'll get worse, because that's the way it works. Just like there are certain times and places where your first amendment rights don't apply, or apply fully, to me it's the same here. For the sake of a civilized area where you can shop, eat and walk without being accosted or seeing bums with their hands out, those bums are not allowed to beg. Yes, we need to follow up the prohibition with helping the homeless, the mentally unbalanced and others who end up this way. For those who are grifters who do this just so they don't have to do any real work, I have no sympathy.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have a standard response to the bums that ask for spare change. I tell them, "change only comes from within."

It's pretty funny watching the wheels turn in their head as they try and figure out what that means. Most don't get it right away.

Top Bottom