Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

Bad news for downtown

https://www.theindychannel.com/news/...ng-into-effect

Some liberal bag judge just stopped the panhandling law from going into effect. Thanks *******...

User Info Menu

Meh.
    I'm unlikely to go downtown again anyway.
    It is better to do good than not to do bad.

User Info Menu

I hear ya, but I can't believe we can't put a stop to begging for crying out loud. Liberal piece of excrement judge.
    Last edited by wtburnette; 07-01-2020 at 08:34.

User Info Menu

Begging must be allowed to assuage liberal guilt.
    It feels so virtuous to drop a quarter into a cup on your way to your Mercedes.
    It is better to do good than not to do bad.

User Info Menu

I do agree that regulating someone asking for something seems like a violation of the First Amendment. They're welcome to ask, people are welcome to say no and move along. I understand it can be uncomfortable for people to interact with those who are asking for money, but I don't think that's a reason to make the action illegal.

If they threaten you when asking for money, that would be more akin to robbery and should obviously be reported and dealt with accordingly.

User Info Menu

I personally don't see begging as a first amendment issue. It's more of a public safety issue in my eyes. The public deserves to be able to walk down the street without being accosted every other corner by someone begging for money. It's especially irritating when you see numerous documentaries showing that a number of these individuals are perfectly healthy and able to work, but would rather get something for free from other hardworking people. I still remember a news story back in the day where an undercover news crew followed some of these people going back to nice homes in good neighborhoods, driving luxury cars or trucks. Not saying that's all of them, but I wouldn't give a nickel to anyone looking for free anything.

User Info Menu

Aggressive panhandlers are a societal disease. They didn't pay the taxes for the space they use to accost you, they didn't pay for the store front they are polluting and they don't employ anyone. Many of them make more money from being a societal leach than some of the people that they take it from who work for a living.
    Last edited by Thor; 07-01-2020 at 09:44. Reason: WTB scooped me!
    Thor himself has spoken, mere mortals must make it so. - bradmedic04

User Info Menu

Learn to say no or say nothing at all and walk on by. There are a couple of them, though, on the west side that I've befriended a bit. One guy has no legs from the knees down and is a war vet. Others are just nice. Some aren't. My wife had one curse at her when she ignored his begging at a stoplight. I've been looking for him to have a chat, but haven't found him, so I think he's gone somewhere else or may have gotten into some trouble. I doubt she's the only one he's accosted.
    "God will have the last word, and it will be good!" --Dr. Robert H. Schuller

User Info Menu

We have panhandling and homelessness in spades in our wonderful Bloomington. I was surprised when our mayor asked the citizens to NOT give money to them. He even put up signs around the city informing not to. So the panhandlers took the signs down, lol.

Supposedly they are allowed to ask, but not engage in a conversation. Ask, if denied, go your way and leave the folks alone.

If I was a business owner downtown I would be furious that the city lets especially the homeless lay around on the sidewalks causing people to have to step over them or go around. Doesn't make me want to patronize those businesses and I bet I'm not the only one.

Bloomington is actually a neat little town with some nice places to go. Too bad it has that one big wart with the panhandlers/homeless.
    Anything is possible

Master

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wtburnette View Post
    I personally don't see begging as a first amendment issue. It's more of a public safety issue in my eyes. The public deserves to be able to walk down the street without being accosted every other corner by someone begging for money. It's especially irritating when you see numerous documentaries showing that a number of these individuals are perfectly healthy and able to work, but would rather get something for free from other hardworking people. I still remember a news story back in the day where an undercover news crew followed some of these people going back to nice homes in good neighborhoods, driving luxury cars or trucks. Not saying that's all of them, but I wouldn't give a nickel to anyone looking for free anything.
    I think TV 8 did a hidden camera expose and found that all the panhandlers at 86th and Keystone had a vehicle nearby, and went to a home somewhere. One woman was yelling at the crew when they tried to ask her questions saying it was her sisters house. Those followed were very ticked to be found out.

I recall a Dallas reporter going undercover and bringing in $33,000 in six months. Since it is cash and tax free that is near a $100,000 income. I am not saying they all make that much but then they can add all the public assistance to that.

No matter the number of programs do-gooders try to implement they can never exceed the value of the panhandling, see, even the homeless understand capitalism...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast