What do you think would happen if.........

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    The citizens of a given city or town or village armed themselves and showed up at a violent demonstration and declared, NOT IN THIS TOWN! Do you think it would stop them or do you think it would escalate matters? I think, but did not catch the whole story on Fox News that some munisapality did just that but like I said I didn't catch the whole story. Now I'm not advocating violence so don't twist my words but do you think it could be done without violence?

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Depends where the town is. There are places who seem to relish the heat and light of violent protest.

It brings the light of attention to your doorstep, and gives the crappier sort of politician the kind of publicity money can't buy.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think it depends on numbers, and not just rioters vs “protectors”, but especially how many agitators and the competency of the agitators vs the competency of the protectors. Say it’s an urban area and you’re dealing with a lot of rioters, and they’re well organized and led, and there aren’t that many “protectors” and they’re not all that competent. It’s probably not gonna work. And it’s likely to escalate things.

But in a smaller setting with maybe dozens of bad actors, not a lot of leadership, going against a competent group of “protectors”, especially if it’s on home turf, I think it would be effective and is also what’s needed.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It happened in a California town. I forget the name. A handful of antifa actually showed up, but a gang of locals beat their butts and sent them packing. There was some pretty cool video of it too.

And unlike the Antifa crowd who would literally beat you to death and stomp your skull, these guys defending the town were reasonable and allowed them to run away and not seriously injure the Antifas. They were taught a lesson that day. Not sure if they actually LEARNED it, but it was taught.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The citizens of a given city or town or village armed themselves and showed up at a violent demestration and declared, NOT IN THIS TOWN! Do you think it would stop them or do you think it would escalate matters? I think, but did not catch the whole story on Fox News that some munisapality did just that but like I said I didn't catch the whole story. Now I'm not advocating violence so don't twist my words but do you think it could be done without violence?

The threat of violence is what bringing guns to such a situation is all about; if you aren't prepared to use your firearm, those with bad intent will know.
    Might as well leave the guns at home if that isn't your goal.

No good man should ever be fearful of taking justified actions against evil.
    Take the actions the situation calls for, and be prepared for how ever that situation may evolve, for better or worse. Make sure you're mentally in the right place to make those calls, and get your affairs in order, before you climb into such a situation you have the option of avoiding.

If you aren't sure whether you should inject yourself into the situation or not, you should not inject yourself into the situation.

Last edited:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I have been speculating as we all often do. The fight against evil is God's fight and He has already won that fight at the cross, praise God. But for evil to triumph on/in earth is for good men to do nothing about it. I have been wondering for some time about the weapons I would use to protect my family if pushed to that point. Now I have many weapons to chose from. The first three are prayer, prayer, and more prayer, but there comes a point where action is needed and that time may be fast approaching in many places already. So having covered spiritual weapons, what physical weapons may/will be needed? I have often pondered about this point and really it depends on the situation at hand.
    My first choice in a riot setting I think would be a hunting stile shotgun loaded with bird shot and a Menards/Lowe's/HomeDepot nail bag around my waist and a side arm of 45 caliber or for larger capacity a 9mm would do also. There comes a time, and you will know it, when action must be taken. Will we be ready like they were at Concord?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    All I can say is that if we ever reach the point that people like me are being asked to do riot control we are pretty well screwed.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Defend far, defend near, defend close. All different tools required for the job. If you are starting the fight with a shotgun you've already given up defend far. If you are engaging a mob, not just a few folks, defend far could become very important, cover and movement will be your friends; also fall back positions and a way out. Waiting to begin the engagement until they are already close enough to surround you is a mistake you might not walk away from. You'd need a line of people as wide as the mob on your side; and that would also indicate you'd be standing out in the open making a fine target yourself.

As for the shotgun, I'd choose MilSpec 00 buck. If they get scared off with Bird Shot they weren't seriously there to fight. Besides, a lot of these criminals are sporting body armor and carrying shields. If you had to use a handgun in open melee it could be a last stand. As a Texas Ranger said when asked by a lady if he was expecting trouble while in a social setting wearing his sidearm his response was, "No mam, If I was expecting trouble I would have brought my rifle".

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    All I can say is that if we ever reach the point that people like me are being asked to do riot control we are pretty well screwed.

Not just asked...but allowed to. I don't think many people would believe that you just happened to be in town at the time for shopping while armed to the teeth.

How many liberal lawyers and prosecutors would be rubbing their hands in glee over the years of litigation and incarceration to follow?

If you arm up and go downtown to help defend the businesses there as opposed to defending your neighborhood and home how will that be viewed? If you're a shop owner defending your own property good on you and about time.

If this continues I certainly hope there's a time when the Governor would call on the IN Militia to organize locally and come out to defend the state...giving all the legal cover for action.

If only someone had proposed legislation to make that organization a done thing...

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I have been speculating as we all often do. The fight against evil is God's fight and He has already won that fight at the cross, praise God. But for evil to triumph on/in earth is for good men to do nothing about it. I have been wondering for some time about the weapons I would use to protect my family if pushed to that point. Now I have many weapons to chose from. The first three are prayer, prayer, and more prayer, but there comes a point where action is needed and that time may be fast approaching in many places already. So having covered spiritual weapons, what physical weapons may/will be needed? I have often pondered about this point and really it depends on the situation at hand.
    My first choice in a riot setting I think would be a hunting stile shotgun loaded with bird shot and a Menards/Lowe's/HomeDepot nail bag around my waist and a side arm of 45 caliber or for larger capacity a 9mm would do also. There comes a time, and you will know it, when action must be taken. Will we be ready like they were at Concord?

Jesus told us to turn the other cheek but, he didn't say what to do after that.
    As far as armament, remember that superior firepower will rule the day. Go heavy or don't go at all. No such thing as a fair fight.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Things are deteriorating around the world in pretty quick fashion.
    I don't see the situation being so bad at this point that my old arse would be out on the street trying to stop violence and destruction. We still have a competent police and military force to control things. HOWEVER... the politicians don't want anyone talking bad about them on CNN so we're not going to get a lot of action yet.
    IF the world gets to the point that it needs me to stand my ground you can look around and I'll be there.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Birdshot, while better than nothing, is bordering inadequate for self defense. It is entirely inadequate at distance. Use at least #4 buck, preferrably 00 buck if a shotgun is your choice. Better to use a carbine, or at least have a carbine at hand.

The best option is probably an AR platform, which is getting a bit more expensive nowadays, but still doable. If you don't have a 5.56 carbine/rifle and don't want to stock another caliber or just prefer a more traditional style, but you do have 9mm ammo, nothing wrong with a pistol caliber carbine like a Ruger PC. Effective at any reasonable self defense range, high capacity and easy to handle.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My three gun is a1911A1, Maverick 8 round 12 ga. loaded with #00, slug, #00, slug... on a single point sling with 6, slugs and 6, #00 in a wallet and a Marlin .45 Camp Rifle.

I have many 10, 8 and a few 7 round mags loaded with Hornady Critical Duty 230gr. .45 ACP and cans full of the .45 and 12 ga.

airrifle82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2014
    northern indiana
    The not in this town situation could go pretty bad if law enforcement wasn't on board. People showing up to the town square armed and serious is going make some cops uneasy and a lot more very scared. They would want to either turn a blind eye or take "control" of the situation. If law enforcement wasn't in the equation, or allied with the townfolk and you had the numbers I think it would go as intended in a smaller town. In a bigger town or city, there's too many welfare zombies.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    My intent doesn't seem to have come through. We have the God given right to self defense if the situation warrants it, that's not in dispute. My thought was to strongly discourage the aggrition with something like bird shot, size would be user choice. It is not my intention to kill anyone but to hopefully dissuade them from aggressive action.
    Of course in a riot situation who can predict what happens, that is why I would prefer .45 auto or possibly even 10mm maybe? The point is, can we allow this lawlessness continue?

airrifle82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2014
    northern indiana
    It's a God given right to defend yourself. You have to remember, if you pepper someone with buckshot regardless of what they were doing or trying to do, you could find yourself in a world of hurt if it doesn't work out in your favor. Those same people that like to loot and burn also like to play the victim. There's a lot of variables in that situation that will sway the outcome.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It's a God given right to defend yourself. You have to remember, if you pepper someone with buckshot regardless of what they were doing or trying to do, you could find yourself in a world of hurt if it doesn't work out in your favor. Those same people that like to loot and burn also like to play the victim. There's a lot of variables in that situation that will sway the outcome.
    This is a good point.

OP, If your goal is to start with non lethal since you appear to assume that birdshot isnt as likely to kill, I'd start with ACTUAL non-lethal purpose built rounds. Because you shoot a mope with that hoping not to kill him and succeed, he'll likely claim the victim and say you tried to kill him since you used lethal (for some animals) rounds on him.

Just my .02 and not legal advice.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom