• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Sounds like a combination of stuff that already exists and things that work well on Power Point slides at focus groups.

Also: is Public Affairs Officer a fast-track? Deputy Chief Kendale Adams was a Sergeant just the other day.

1-2-3 discuss!!

INDIANAPOLIS – The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department announced the adoption of updated use-of-force policies on Wednesday morning.

The changes are designed to limit to number of times officers use lethal force.

With our cameras rolling less than two months ago, IMPD officers subdued and arrested two women for violating a city-wide curfew. That incident led to complaints that the officers used excessive force.
    At the same time, nationwide protests of racial injustice spurred IMPD to officially update its use of force policy.

Some of the changes in the policy are new, while others had already been incorporated into the department’s training program for years, but are now being spelled out in black and white.
    “I think what you see in our policy is we are codifying things in our policy that we have been training to for several years,” said IMPD deputy chief Kendale Adams.

In June 2017, IMPD officers shot and killed an unarmed man. The death of Aaron Bailey sparked changes in IMPD training and classes were held to instruct officers on how to diffuse trouble with words instead of force.

IMPD training has included de-escalation techniques for years, yet the new policy clearly outlines de-escalation tactics.

The policies explicitly prohibit chokeholds, warning shots, and shooting at or from moving vehicles or occupants.

“The adoption of these new use of force standards is a substantial milestone, one that I hope demonstrates our commitment to building community trust and developing stronger neighborhood partnerships to address violent crime,” said IMPD Chief Randal Taylor.

“For the last several years, we have worked to improve training and policies for IMPD officers,” said Mayor Joe Hogsett. “From implicit bias and de-escalation training, to the proposed Use of Force Review Board, to these updates to IMPD use of force policies – these changes aim to ensure IMPD better serves every member of the Indianapolis community.”

IMPD says they worked with Faith in Indiana and other community and advocacy groups to create the updated use-of-force polices.

Uses of any level of force will continue to be reported and investigated according to existing IMPD policy. Once established, the forthcoming Use of Force Review Board will have the authority to review any use of force by an IMPD officer.

IMPD is currently working to redevelop the training curriculum in line with this new policy and will begin the process of training all officers to these new directives as soon as next month.

Here is a rundown of IMPD’s new policies:

1. Outline clearly defined de-escalation requirements: The new policy explicitly outlines the use of de-escalation tactics such as communication, time, and distance and requires that officers attempt to de-escalate situations with the goal of resolving encounters without the use of force whenever feasible. IMPD training has included de-escalation techniques for some time, but the department’s commitment to de-escalation is now made explicit in the use of force policy itself.
    2. Create a clear standard for use of deadly force: IMPD has adopted the standard for deadly force outlined by California Assembly Bill 392, which provides greater clarification and limitations on when deadly force may be used.
    3. Prohibit the use of chokeholds: While IMPD training does not consider chokeholds an appropriate technique, the approved Use of Force policy explicitly prohibits this tactic or any similar neck restraint.
    4. Require the use of proportionate force: Officers must use only the minimum amount of force appropriate, based on the circumstances known to the officer, to achieve the officer’s legitimate public safety objectives.
    5. Define an officer’s duty to intervene and report when inappropriate force is used: Officers now have an explicit duty to prevent or stop the use of excessive force by another officer and report any violation of the Use of Force policy to a supervisor. This was not previously outlined in IMPD’s Use of Force policy.
    6. Clearly specify rules for using less-lethal force: The new use of force standards are outlined in two policies – one that governs the use of specific types of less-lethal devices, and one that covers IMPD’s general use of force principles. The rules for deployment of less-lethal levels of force are consistent with continuum of force and proportionality principles.
    7. Prohibit shooting into, or from, moving vehicles.
    8. Direct the department to review these policies for compliance with national best practices at least annually.

https://fox59.com/news/impds-new-us...de-escalation-explicitly-prohibit-chokeholds/

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Who in their right mind would want to risk their lives by following those guidelines? Do we have a specific guidelines of what a criminal can or cannot do? The police officers have become the criminal. The ruling bodies have taken a broad paint brush to resolve a tiny blemish. "WE THE PEOPLE" will again suffer.

I can see voluntary early retirement for many officers.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    These touchy feely people are on some serious KOOL-AID. So that 150 lb guy on drugs coming @ you with a knife & acting like a 300 lb linebacker???? I am almost 99.9% positive the last thing officers want to do is pull their guns and start shooting!

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    So now those who protect and serve putting themselves in harms way by confronting the very worst among society must operate with one arm tied behind their backs?

I’m surprised anyone would want to choose a career in law-enforcement these days.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    The officers that can retire probably will. The ones in limbo will most likely ride it out until THEY can retire. No one in their right mind would want such a potentially dangerous job for the paltry pay and no political backing so recruitment will suffer. We have already learned that we need to be responsible for our own safety in some areas of our lives and those areas are growing daily. I don't see a happy ending to all this.

NRA Life Member / Basic Pistol instructor / Glock & M&P Armorer

"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard"
    Unnamed Navy Seal

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    More of this liberal delusion that all erratic and dangerous people can be "de-escalated" through proper application of magic words and liberal feelz.

When you take away all the tools the police have available to subdue and arrest combative people without shooting them, don't be surprised when more end up shot.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I remember someone telling me that hesitation kills police officers. I wonder what the blue body count will have to go up to before tactics are revised again. The decision is being made by leadership all over the country so I guess we'll see.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    So now the thugs can fight harder and the police will have to disengage? Sounds like a really good plan. It is bull****! **** Hoghead and his minions!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I can't imagine any IMPD officer doing anything other than chilling under a shade tree and taking only his/her assigned runs, while endeavoring to do the bare minimum necessary.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I remember someone telling me that hesitation kills police officers. I wonder what the blue body count will have to go up to before tactics are revised again. The decision is being made by leadership all over the country so I guess we'll see.
    You can bet that NONE of the people that wrote the new rules will be on the front lines being forced to make life or death split second decisions. They will be taking their sweet time analyzing video of any incident and second guessing those that are laying their lives on the line to protect the rest of us. I don't have words for how disgusted I am by the Mayor and his ilk.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Stop sticks will no longer be used to end pursuits because of the environmental impact of damaged tires that need to be landfilled.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Unfortunately the citizens of Marion County are going to get to see what it's like to have a police department full of morons. This is just a continuation of what has been happening for the past 20+ years and has resulted in a steady decline of the criteria and qualifications for the job. This will make it worse, it won't be long before the department is hiring high school dropouts who have somehow managed to escape a felony conviction, I wonder if they'll pay overtime for the GED classes they'll be putting on for the new hires?

Top Bottom