Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    No such thing as a zero.
    You will always be given 50%

The new scale is 0-50%=50%
    /This is to make it easier for student to recover from bad grades and missed assignments.This passed right at 6:30pm 7/30/2020(during president Trumps live speech).

https://go.boarddocs.com/in/indps/B...e/IPS Grading Policy Overview - July 2020.pdf

"Rationale: There is a 10-point spread for each grade, from 100 down to 50.
    • The scale stops at 50. This is the equivalent of a 0.
    You can’t get a lower grade.
    • Several students fail courses for compliance reasons. Students miss work and teachers will assign zeros.
    • If a student has accumulated zeros and if classwork/homework is equally weighted in the gradebook, a student’s chance to pass acourse or stay on track is extremely diminished.
    • Implementing a no zero policy gives students opportunity to improve their grade and the grade can be more reflective of masteryvs. compliance."

Clown world.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Changing the grading sounds like gaming the system to make bad school administrations look better than they really are. The education/industrial complex making itself look like it's accomplishing something and demanding more of your cash for less return.

Always follow the money

Clark & Addison

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2019
    Gibson County
    As a teacher I would be very upset if my corporation did this. I try not to put as much emphasis on grades as I do the students actually learning something from me. A large part of what I want them to learn is that there are consequences for the decisions you make. You don't turn your work in, you don't pass my class. Deadlines mean something. Those type of life lessons are more important to me than if a student remembers the geologic time scale or the products of cellular respiration.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    This has been going on in my corporation for quite a few years. Makeups and redos are the new norm.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This has been going on in my corporation for quite a few years. Makeups and redos are the new norm.

I could tolerate that. If the kid screws up and bombs, but can come back and show he is proficient with a makeup test, thats one thing. But this blatant nerfing the system? Pure :poop:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    So you get a 50 for doing nothing...then show up and score 25% on the final, which is worth 25% the class...catch-up to 63% and get a D?

Somebody needs to set up an ACORN office in the IPS to explain to students how they can show up for two hours a year, and pass.

Remember how teachers were always telling us how education was the most important thing in the world (...until the Chinese flu showed up and they wanted to shut it down)?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Educators have been doing this for at LEAST decades. Nothing new.

It is "unfair" that a zero impacts the grade SO much. Its like schools are suddenly discovering basic math. They are literally saying that noncompliance should not count against your grade. These are the SAME people that say that noncompliance in attendance or in masks should carry the maximum penalty. Hypocrisy much?

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Just wait a few years when these kids get a job. They call in sick and will expect a half day's pay. Then they have a tantrum because you changed their rules.

I once had a small business mowing grass. I can't imagine what a customer would say if I missed a week and then showed up and expected 50% pay.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Just wait a few years when these kids get a job. They call in sick and will expect a half day's pay. Then they have a tantrum because you changed their rules.

I once had a small business mowing grass. I can't imagine what a customer would say if I missed a week and then showed up and expected 50% pay.

The millennial work-kiddos are already pushing the "remote work" thing to the max. Some of them feel entitled to be paid to stay home. I get that people want to be paid on productivity, not presence. And for jobs where that's feasible, then cool. But society seems to be undermining objective measures of productivity across the board, and it appears headed in the direction of getting something for nothing.

Next Oprah: whining about "pay gaps."

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The millennial work-kiddos are already pushing the "remote work" thing to the max. Some of them feel entitled to be paid to stay home. I get that people want to be paid on productivity, not presence. And for jobs where that's feasible, then cool. But society seems to be undermining objective measures of productivity across the board, and it appears headed in the direction of getting something for nothing.

Next Oprah: whining about "pay gaps."

I'm 60 years old and I LOVE working from home. I'm in IT and there is literally nothing that I can do in the office that I can't do from home. I hope they let me continue to do so until I retire. I get more work done, they get more work (and hours) out of me at no additional cost to them (I'm salaried and OT is a very rare thing).

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I'm 60 years old and I LOVE working from home. I'm in IT and there is literally nothing that I can do in the office that I can't do from home. I hope they let me continue to do so until I retire. I get more work done, they get more work (and hours) out of me at no additional cost to them (I'm salaried and OT is a very rare thing).

I bet you do. Everybody does. It's like on the job retirement. Don't get me wrong, I'm cool with remote work, for applicable occupations. But employers are already grasping the fact that this is something they can use to justify paying people less. It increases the available pool of workers (eg. working moms taking time out to be with kids). Supply and demand: once more people starting coming back into the workforce, because of the convenience of remote work, you're going to have more competition for what you do, and employers are wise to this. They are going to make "changing the ground rules" work in their favor, also.

So again...get ready for more hand-wringing about "pay gaps." Business is ever-vigilant looking for ways to keep wages down, and this is the next frontier.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I bet you do. Everybody does. It's like on the job retirement. Don't get me wrong, I'm cool with remote work, for applicable occupations. But employers are already grasping the fact that this is something they can use to justify paying people less. It increases the available pool of workers (eg. working moms taking time out to be with kids). Supply and demand: once more people starting coming back into the workforce, because of the convenience of remote work, you're going to have more competition for what you do, and employers are wise to this. They are going to make "changing the ground rules" work in their favor, also.

So again...get ready for more hand-wringing about "pay gaps." Business is ever-vigilant looking for ways to keep wages down, and this is the next frontier.

Honestly I think the bigger concern is going to be for office real estate. There could be a lot of office buildings standing vacant with so many people teleworking. In fact we were in the process of reducing our footprint in our building when all this hit. They were moving us into an area with smaller cubicles, with desk sharing, and lower cube walls. It was really starting to look like the old offices of the 1960's - just a big open room with desks. Now they have effectively reduced our footprint to nearly zero and they are taking a hard look at that.

I work for the DoD (Ft. Harrison) btw.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    :laugh: <- Me laughing all the way to the bank as the value of my education goes up and up because the snowplow generation is collecting free unfailable credentials with no actual effort or learning required.

Looking forward to the job listings specifying pre-2020 educations only.

Top Bottom