• ...and so much more!
  • OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-53770859

"The UAE's ambassador to the US, Yousef Al Otaiba, said in a statement that it was "a win for diplomacy and for the region".

"It is a significant advance in Arab-Israeli relations that lowers tensions and creates new energy for positive change," he added.

The agreement marks only the third Israel-Arab peace deal since Israel's declaration of independence in 1948. Egypt signed one in 1979, and Jordan in 1994."

117769463_10157605505780197_8971044844332769521_o.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The UAE is depicting it a bit differently, but they kinda have to.

This is solidly in the same category as the Nork situation: credit to Trump for taking a run at it because it is a worthy effort. Any success at toppling the windmill will have to be measured at a later date.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I get that they have to parse their message a certain way domestically, but there was a lot positive coming from the UAE's ambassador.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'll be curious to see how many US chips went into that game. The camp David treaty was President Carter setting Begin and Sadat down, opening the US checkbook and asking how much.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'll be curious to see how many US chips went into that game. The camp David treaty was President Carter setting Begin and Sadat down, opening the US checkbook and asking how much.

In ordinary times, I'd even be ok with that. US subsidizing peace (at least at some level) over there is a winner for us.

These, though, are not ordinary times. On principle, I'm still ok with it, but as a matter of public fisc, I don't think we can afford to offer very much.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    In ordinary times, I'd even be ok with that. US subsidizing peace (at least at some level) over there is a winner for us.

These, though, are not ordinary times. On principle, I'm still ok with it, but as a matter of public fisc, I don't think we can afford to offer very much.
    What makes you say that? They can just go to the current "default" mode - print more money.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    What makes you say that? They can just go to the current "default" mode - print more money.

hahaha I hear you.

I said "I don't think we can afford" much... I have no doubt that "they" think that's an easy problem to solve.

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I don't think President Trump reached his current position without getting something if he is giving something. I doubt he has the deficient mentality of thinking you can pay for peace.

He's come out on more than one occasion saying deals should be a win-win, meaning both sides should benefit from a deal. That doesn't include paying for peace.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

Not sure that Trump would go that way, but I'm open to being proved wrong. However, Obama/Biden certainly thought that was the way it was done with the Iran deal.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN

Given Iran's machinations in the region, I have no doubt that this is a mutually beneficial deal for all to reduce Iranian influence in the region.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Given Iran's machinations in the region, I have no doubt that this is a mutually beneficial deal for all to reduce Iranian influence in the region.

This. UAE is filthy rich, they don't need money. They need somebody with military might on their side against Iran. US fills the bill. Israel is good to have on your side as well.

When I was in UAE for Operation Enduring Freedom in 2002, there were two USAF REDHORSE (Air Force deployable civil engineers) there expanding Al Dhafra air base. It was in their medal and unit citations that they poured the most concrete since the US built one its big airbases in Vietnam back in the 60, and they certainly put in a LOT of ramp space and hanger space. At the time we had KC10s, U-2s, and Global Hawks. Now they have added E-3s, F-15s, F-22s or F-35s, I forget which (maybe both), and some other airframes as well I believe. We were given a beer ration a couple times per week, and the Corona beer bottles, bought from the local distributor, were printed entirely in Hebrew except for the word "Corona" on the label. I forgot to bring one home with me, darn it.

UAE is also very modern compared to say...the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Seven nations wasn't accomplished in five years.
    The plot hasn't changed. The story is just longer in the telling.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Seven nations wasn't accomplished in five years.
    The plot hasn't changed. The story is just longer in the telling.

What's changed is that the US is not siding with Iran and allowing the Palestinians veto power any more. Previous administrations follies with the Iran deal threatened not only Israel but every Arab nation. Current administration has reversed the nonsense and the Arab nations will get onboard to form a coalition while the gettin' is good, before there's a chance Joe & Kamala will try to blow up the Israelis and the rest of the Middle East again.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Amazing how this is completely absent from US media in favor of the new USPS conspiracy theory they launched last week.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Amazing how this is completely absent from US media in favor of the new USPS conspiracy theory they launched last week.

Yeah, about that USPS thing. Incredibly coincidental that they just happen to be requesting a rate increase at the same time that they're claiming they won't be able to get the mail-in ballots delivered in time for the election. "Never let a crisis go to waste" seems to be the mantra of any number of government entities.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Alamo, I don't think the plot has changed a bit, just the schedule.
    One proviso though; looks to me as though there'd been a Bush man riding herd from 3/30/81 until 1/20/17.
    The man in the hot seat now may yet upset their plans. Just have to wait and see.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    It is one thing to tear up the Iran deal. (And I happen to think it a good one).

It's another to replace it with something better.

Well played. And I'm beginning to think there was more to this Kushner kid than I thought.

For all the talk about how people will "praise Trump when he deserves it," this seems to get little traction, on INGO or anywhere.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    For all the talk about how people will "praise Trump when he deserves it," this seems to get little traction, on INGO or anywhere.

He makes tweets that people don't like reading, yet decide to read anyway and get upset about.

Why would you expect anyone to praise him when their bar for job performance is almost entirely based on that?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The media would have been demanding another Nobel Peace Prize if Obama had negotiated this agreement.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    This is what, just firming up the sides before a brawl?
    That seven country things to do list hasn't been worked off yet.

Top Bottom