• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    IU is removing the name of David Starr Jordan, a respected biologist and founding president of Stanford from it's buildings, displaying another example of academic intolerance. The reason being his papers on eugenics from the 1890s. I've recently wondered how academics have so quickly moved away from looking at historical people as a part of their time rather than seeing everything through the modern lens of intolerance and strict obedience to modern perspectives. Boy howdy, Torquemada has nothing on the modern teacher.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I had some respect for IU, self-disclosure my son went there, but this on top of prior actions is just pathetic. There really needs to be consideration by the state of Indiana for removing public support from higher education institutions that push non-constitutionalists, non-tolerant, non-fact-based educational and policy positions.

Purdue under Mitch Daniels appears to be staying largely above this kind of stupidity. There's been a bit I think, but overall nothing compared to IU. I wonder how IU would do as a private institution of higher learning. We can always carve off the medical and law schools possibly just transfer them to Purdue.

jolly rancher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    IU Bloomington is the Berkeley of Indiana, while Bloomington itself is the Portland and Monroe County is the little blue island in the sea of red that is Indiana. [h=1][/h]

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Full disclosure, I'm a Purdue grad in a family of dyed in the wool Purdue fans/grads.
    I've always hated IU, and when I became an adult and discovered their politics I've increased my hate. Beyond that the grads themselves seem to me petty and childish. Of course I'm making sweeping generalizations, but I told you I was a Purdue guy through and through.
    Have to agree with Jolly too. The whole area seems to be very left leaning, on the verge of crazy.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I doubt it would be very risky at all to bet that those wanting to remove David Starr Jordan's name from campus for his papers on eugenics have absolutely no qualms about supporting Margaret Sanger and Planned Parenthood.

For those thinking Purdue is any less liberal than IU, I think you will find out in short order how wrong you are once Daniels leaves. Daniels has done a great job curtailing the excesses of the liberals at Purdue during his tenure but that doesn't mean that there is any lack of liberals. Some try a little harder than others to hide it but the same is pretty much true for every university in this state that I've dealt with and I've dealt with most. The private schools are least as bad as the public and often worse. Academia is so sheltered from reality that it is the perfect incubator for liberalism and the only way for an university to avoid becoming overrun by liberals is to actively exclude them.

mechmc17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Zionsville
    We can always carve off the medical and law schools possibly just transfer them to Purdue.

The medical school, or at the very least the administration, is 100% on board with this leftist crap. I have to read their emails all the time, and it’s sickening. I’m trying to figure out when to move to another job to escape it.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Only reason I'm attending IUFW online is so I can get my bachelor's fastest and then move on to getting my NP. Had Purdue NW actually answered my questions, it may have been a different story. They wanted me to apply first, then decide what credits were going to transfer over from my associate's in nursing.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I have no idea why a university would want to remove the name of a person who was a proponent of the sterilization and segregation of “inferior races” off of one of their buildings. Total leftist rubbish.
    /purple.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The US has cut the path in oh so many ways. Seems like if we don't invent some lunatic ism's then we'll import the proponents from elsewhere and nurture the craze into full bloom. Here's a good example, who channeled and then published the basis for Sanger's religion that induced her twisted mind to call evil good.
    Who Is Helena Petrovna Blavatsky?:Â* Her Life and Work for Theosophy

Is it "always about the money"?
    Nope, it's always been about morals as established by belief systems, our latest ism's. That's why little girls in Central America have been given vaccines that prevent them from having children when they grow up (Sanger called it weeding the garden). As a tool money is steered to the willing of this world (Epstein, Gates and Soros are outstanding examples) and they get to continue in wealth so long as they go along with being minions.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I had some respect for IU, self-disclosure my son went there, but this on top of prior actions is just pathetic. There really needs to be consideration by the state of Indiana for removing public support from higher education institutions that push non-constitutionalists, non-tolerant, non-fact-based educational and policy positions.

Purdue under Mitch Daniels appears to be staying largely above this kind of stupidity. There's been a bit I think, but overall nothing compared to IU. I wonder how IU would do as a private institution of higher learning. We can always carve off the medical and law schools possibly just transfer them to Purdue.

Higher Ed overall has jumped the shark. Too costly, too focused on sports and not academics, and many see it as a youth right-of-passage with the partying and socialization over the intended goal of obtaining a focused education in something. Many of the smaller institutions are going to go bankrupt eventually. The law school at Valpo closed not to long ago and some other smaller colleges have closed as well. There have been cuts at other ones and even then I think there are still fiscal issues they might not be able to overcome. One fact, the IU School of Medicine and IU School of Dentistry are somewhat separate entities. If you look at state budget construction for higher ed, they separate out those schools but they are still grouped under the IU portion of the budget. There have always been rumors that the med school was going to "leave" the IU umbrella, but I just don't see that happening. I think it would be harder for a stand alone med school to function without the association of a large university affiliation.

People like Mitch Daniels have tried to make significant changes in the status quo. For example, his idea to use summer as a full, normal semester makes sense, but those radical ideas don't sit well with academics who, at least in the past, got paid under contacts that were for ten months of teaching. Having 1/4th of your students possibly leaving college a year earlier also scares locals who rent to students, fearing that they won't get that extra year of income during the transition (eventually, if 90% of the students were three years and out, it wouldn't be an issue as there would always been people needing housing, so long as the overall number of students didn't diminish significantly year to year).

Higher Ed has always been political, and many who are involved in the higher ed business lean very left, some far left. The student population is also more left than right politically, so when the left leaning groups start protesting and making demands, universities are more likely to bend over backwards to appease their customers. The problem is that constantly hiking tuition, having state governments questioning the constant need for more local funding, etc. is why many are wanting the fed gov to "make college free" for everyone. I'm not sure how that works because to me, once that happens, everyone on a university should be made a federal gov. employee with equal pay and no one making more than the POTUS. I can't stand quasi-government entities that end up getting most of their funding from the government, yet they are free to shower certain employees with huge salaries.

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I have no idea why a university would want to remove the name of a person who was a proponent of the sterilization and segregation of “inferior races” off of one of their buildings. Total leftist rubbish.
    /purple.

Look at what was tolerated with the years dealing with Bobby Knight...
    Does IU have a White Cultural Center?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why shouldn't it? It has a Black Cultural Center...

What would be the point? Are the noteworthy achievements of White Americans and general North American/European history no longer considered common knowledge? And I’m not exactly sure how we got on this topic.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I have a feeling that any time a person's name gets removed from a University building...that name is going to be replaced by another paying individual.

I believe Leadeye has a phrase for that...

Top Bottom